Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 Junction Box Options

• 20-01-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently in the middle of building up my S-Works Roubaix with R8050 Di2 however the project has stalled as I cant decide on what junction box to use.

I have the 3 port junction that is usually fitted under the stem and have wired the cables internally in the handlebars for that set up but before I put everything together and tape up the bars, I'm mulling over whether I should go with some of the other options, which are:

XT SC-M800 display/junction: This has the added advantage of also being BLE/ANT+ enabled meaning I could program the hidden shifter buttons for additional functions (haven't decided what yet though) This option doesn't require any extra wiring and I'd simply use the already installed wiring)

Bar end junction which would mean buying another Di2 wire and WU111 Bluetooth unit (and the bar end junction itself) and is a very neat and tidy job as everything is internal (more or less).

Keep the 3 port junction and get the WU111 Bluetooth unit and fit it in the seatpost (one extra short wire required) . This is the cheapest option.

I like the idea of the M800 display unit as it has built in BLE/ANT and also it shows battery life in a % figure as opposed to a flashing/vague light, it also shows clearly which shift mode i'm in and finally but of least importance, it shows which cog on the rear and FD position the chain is in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

I'd go with the bar end junction and the WU111. Has all the functionality you need apart from the screen but you can use the Garmin for this.

Will look neat especially with all the cables already in the handlebar.

The XT display will look even more out of place on a road bike versus the standard junction box that goes under the stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have this option on my bike.
    Keep the 3 port junction and get the WU111 Bluetooth unit and fit it in the seatpost (one extra short wire required) . This is the cheapest option.

The WU111 allows for firmware updates via your phone app. My wahoo also shows gear selection and di2 battery status also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I currently have the under stem junction box and the wwu111 in the seatpost. Considering going for the bar end to tidy the wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Bar end is tidy. I have it on my Dogma F8. Make sure you have bars with exit ports for cables on them and you have a shot at being able to make them pretty invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Bar end is tidy. I have it on my Dogma F8. Make sure you have bars with exit ports for cables on them and you have a shot at being able to make them pretty invisible.

Yeah my bars are Di2 ready (hole drilled for bar end junction wire to exit) but the hole is about 3cm from the bar end. I don't know why they don't put the hole further up nearer the shifter to make it neater.

I'm veering towards the SC-M800 display unit purely because its the simplest and does the most of all the options.

1st world problems but this is causing me sleepless nights...well maybe not nights but a few sleepless hours but its going around and around in my head :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement