Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sat 18 Jan
    Steady 11.66m @7:53, hr 141, 1hr31

I knew it would be cold. I had the gear ready. But boy was the first mile bitter. Out by 5:30, Caz had me test out the Garmin Incident alert last night which is a neat feature. I'm asthmatic and the cold is always a risk. Helps her sleep as I ninja my way down the stairs so as not to wake anyone. No real need, little snores coming from the kids room.

-3 temps so after the usual first sleepy sluggish mile I found a rhythm running downtown. Mile 2 was 7:46 and felt easy. I went with it. Felt great. The shin splints gone. I like to run on quiet roads but they were slippier than the footpaths. Meandered around the town plugging in steady miles. The loop of the NCR was dodgy. Lots of slippy patches. The legs felt good. Mostly sub 8min miles at an easy to steady effort. I ran the hard shoulder of the Condell road which was basically a straight metronome 2 miles, in the zone. Back to a quiet house. Nobody up yet. I managed to steal a 30min nap before Caz got up for work and the kids arrived with rumbling bellies, rubbing sleep from their eyes.

Sun 19 Jan
    Long Run 15.19m @7:33, hr 154, 1hr55

10hrs sleep and breakfast, woop! Way to fill the juices for a long run. It was looking like an evening run until I checked the distance to the in laws. Perfect. Well, almost perfect. Point to point with a net elevation gain. Nonetheless a cracking morning for it.

Straight away good energy. The first 3 miles flew and the effort was steady. Miles 3 to 8 were basically a long pull up to Fedamore into a slight breeze. Plenty of long gradual hills. I kept the cadence and didn't slow down. It felt good to just get a hint of the sufferzone. Just a hint. It was all country roads so at times it was blind turns. Other times the road stretched for miles and you could see the climb. It never felt as bad as it looked. The miles flew. I was loving the warm sunshine on my face despite the cold road.

I had checkpoints to ensure I didn't get lost too. After the last one it was a 4 mile straight road and I started feeling it. I reached the in laws with just over 14m done, ready to sit down. It was good enough but I ran up and down the next hill anyway to make it 15m. Just in time for dinner. 7:33 avg pace was good progress.

Overall for the week
    76.95m total - highest ever
    Introduced some intensity
    VO2 up a notch to 55
    Weight 83.2 down to 82kg

Next week
    Build on the sessions
    Mat and foam roller and recovery in general
    Hopefully Parkrun

Mon 20 Jan
    Easy 9.25m @8:54, hr 131, 1hr21

Chasing the daylight. Fully bright starting out but the sun starting to drop below the tree line. I figured I'd have just enough time to get through the country road miles. Leaving suburbia after 4 miles the sun was leaving a fiery orange wake beneath the clouds. The next 2 miles with my back to it running towards the darkness. The final but turning again towards the falling darkness, like a huge curtain closing on the horizon. Fully dark finishing and fully satisfied to get the last of the daylight. The legs were a little heavy but that was expected.

Tue 21 Jan
    Easy 8.25m @8:42, hr 136, 1hr11

Reluctant miles. Cold, dark, misty and foggy too. Lungs not happy. Planned to do a session today but up late watching Claire Burns hosting the health debate and I slept in. A long long day at the office left me hungry and not in the form for a run. I had to fast from 9:30 for blood tests in the morning. 80 mins window. I wanted to run for 10mins and eat for 70. Naturally I ran for 70 and ate for 10. By run, I meant plod. Every other man and woman in run gear looked to be bouncing along. I was the one with the miserable face tonight.

Inhaled a large bowl of cumin couscous with roast peppers, courgettes and sweet potato, sweet red onions, tomatoes and 2 soft seasoned poached eggs on top. Nom!

Wed 22 Jan
    Intervals: 2x (800m/2x400m/4x200m), 400 jog recovery
    13.93m total, 1hr52

Flat quiet dark Industrial Estate and cool calm evening. Perfect for a session. Good 30min easy to steady warm up then into the work.
    Set 1: Found the 800 tough just getting the leg turnover going. Lungs shocked. The 400s in 83 and 82 were much better. The 200s quick and short. I really pushed the 3rd rep to get ahead of a truck pulling out of a docking station. Overall hitting good paces and legs felt good. I was sort of dreading the next set.

Set 2: No rest just the 400m jog and into it. I had to stop the watch to pee then got mixed up and ended up running hard on the rest interval. By the time I realised the legs just kept turning over as I worked it out. The 2and 800 was solid, 2:50. I actually jogged 800m before the 400s to sync back up so well recovered. 83 and 82 again. Solid but more of the arms coming in. The last few 200s started quick but I started slowing on the last 50m. I was fine with not throwing the sink at them. Its early days. This was a big step up in volume from last week and a proper session.

I got the effort back to easy for the warm down home. The legs felt like they just had a workout but was surprised to see the overall time out. At 1hr52 it was practically a long run. Hoping to do the Parkrun on Saturday so easy for the next 2 days, maybe some strides. The Garmin downgraded me to unproductive and dropped the VO2 to 54. The 2 days recommended recovery seems about right. Good session tonight, happy with it.

2x (800m/2x400m/4x200m) w/400m jog recovery
    Target pace: Nope just run hard!
    rep distance|rep time|pace
    800m|2:56|5:54
    400m|1:23|5:34
    400m|1:22|5:29
    200m|0:39|5:20
    200m|0:38|5:11
    200m|0:35|4:43
    200m|0:39|5:13
    800m|2:50|5:40
    400m|1:23|5:34
    400m|1:22|5:30
    200m|0:40|5:23
    200m|0:38|5:11
    200m|0:37|4:57
    200m|0:40|5:21

• Advertisement

Thu 23 Jan
    Easy 8.04m @8:49, hr 132, 1hr11

Nice easy run down a quiet foggy riverbank. You couldn't see more than 50m ahead and the sky and fog were the same colour. I'm a bit of a sci-fi geek and my mind wondered if another world lay beyond the fog. The legs a little heavy as expected but moving well. Wore the adidas solar glide, not my favourite but grand for a recovery run on a mix of trail, path. The water was flat calm and the birds busy digging food from the bank. I ran up and down the bank then over the living bridge and through the UL campus, never finding the portal to the other world. Happy to get out in the grey. My only window today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Awful runner. Hate it!

Friiiiday 24 Jan
    Easy 11.06m @8:22, inc 6x15s strides, hr 138, 1hr32

Wow rare windless morning. 5am. So calm, so peaceful. Running on the middle of the road until I got to the park. No fog until then. It just hung still over the park. Stars in the sky. I took a moment to take in the silence and a cold sip of water from a tap I never noticed. One lap, the park all to myself. Thankful for the white line dividing walkers/cyclists to guide me so I didn't trip over a grassy edge. Park loop done and onto the country road. Pitch dark, lots of stars and felt good. I did the strides in the Industrial Estate with a minute between each. A little heavy. A steadier effort for the last 2 miles home. Done early enough to dress the kids and cook creamy scrambled eggs for 2nd breakfast.

The difference in two weeks for pace vs heart rate is ridiculous.

The difference in two weeks for pace vs heart rate is ridiculous.

Thanks but always a good jump at the start if you have good consistency. I'm on day 29 of a streak running 1hr+ most days and 90%+ easy. I'm not a Novice but I have also never dedicated focus to running. The closest I came was in 2012 for a few months got stuck in and recorded my existing 10k and half marathon pbs.

Even last year on the sub3 plan I was swimming to tick off a National Master Gala event.

This year its running first. I'll do the odd bit of XC for core mainly or just for fun. I'm focused on recovery more that any other year. I'm perfectly healthy for the first winter in years too. Its very early days but hopefully all this easy running will translate to some performances over the year.

Because its subsidized by our S&S in work, looks like I have the Limerick Half Marathon to target :) Its got me excited to actually train for it. Should set a good base to build the DCM plan on top. First event this year is the Parkrun in the morning. I did 20:22 before Christmas so a bit of fitness will get me close to or dip under 20. Obviously overall aiming for much better this year but can only deliver what I have on the day. 19:59 would be very satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I love reading your log, the descriptive nature of your runs, you really sell running as an experience.

I'm finding the same at the moment, building a bit of consistency and watching/feeling my HR dropping on like for like runs, it's a super feeling, and while it may not translate to race times today or tomorrow, it will eventually and in the meantime it just feels damn good.

What parkrun are you doing? Good luck with it ;)

Looks like I have a race buddy if I decide to go ahead with the half in May so!

ariana` wrote: »
    I love reading your log, the descriptive nature of your runs, you really sell running as an experience.

I'm finding the same at the moment, building a bit of consistency and watching/feeling my HR dropping on like for like runs, it's a super feeling, and while it may not translate to race times today or tomorrow, it will eventually and in the meantime it just feels damn good.

What parkrun are you doing? Good luck with it ;)

Ah thank you! I try to not make it all about the numbers. Yep I use HR to get to know myself in whatever current state I'm in. Pretty enjoyable when there is no plan as such other than run with some structure. Its been said a lot that to run fast you have to learn to run slow. I'm doing Mungret Parkrun in Limerick. 4 laps and a hill. 20:22 to beat. Its a soft mark representative of the soft spare tyre I had starting back :cool: Basic plan tomorrow morning is to pace it better than that last one. Fast mile, slow mile, out the back door mile... :rolleyes:
    Looks like I have a race buddy if I decide to go ahead with the half in May so!

A run buddy maybe. Race buddy, em.. you are a 1:19 :eek: Thats nearly 5 mins better than my lifetime best! I will be doing some HM type sessions out on the course from mid feb on though.

And, what do you mean... if?!

And, what do you mean... if?!

I had considered transferring to the relay if I'm not in shape for HM yet.
    A run buddy maybe. Race buddy, em.. you are a 1:19 Thats nearly 5 mins better than my lifetime best! I will be doing some HM type sessions out on the course from mid feb on though.

Was a 1.19,in peak shape, with a coach.
    Far from that now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I had considered transferring to the relay if I'm not in shape for HM yet.

Was a 1.19,in peak shape, with a coach.
    Far from that now

May is a long way away...

skyblue46 wrote:
    May is a long way away...

Ah yeah I don't disagree but its easy be pessimistic when you've had nothing but setbacks. The thoughts of getting into 1.19 shape, coming off that winter, with my own plan just seems a little...... Unlikely shall we say.

Best of luck this morning. Enjoy that hill......... X4

Sat 25 Jan
    Mungret Parkrun, hr 177/187!, 10.55m total

Not ideal prep. Rushing to get kids ready for rugby tots, gymnastics and Junior Cert grinds. Kids just wanted to play with a tent they made out of chairs and blankets. Teenager just wanted to go back to bed. All out the door for 9am. I'd have preferred a longer warm up.

Chilly, breezy but nice overcast morning. I did 2x15sec strides on the way down to the park. Hmmm not exactly zippy. The usual banter, one guy was doing his 50th. Lot and lots of girls actually. I thought I recognised some of the long ponytails that were swinging one early frosty morning recently. A dude in a beard and luminous next% shoes that looked well worn was the most relaxed. He eventually cruised to a low 17.

Off we went down the sharpest hill in the middle of the park. Jarring on the knees. Next% bolted off in front like a startled fawn. I fell in behind a luminous jacket for 3rd. 2 minutes in the rush settled as we prepared for the first hill. To be done on each of the 4 laps. A tall lad in a grey tee came by casually here to push me back to 4th. Legs turnover, pump the arms. The hill was ok but the breeze continued in your face around to the back of the park, the highest point. I was gulping in cold air already and the effort was firmly red zone. Zone 5.

Onto the 2nd lap and I passed the yellow jacket for 3rd down the sharp hill. Heart still beating out of my throat and lungs on fire. I had to settle. Onto the flat section and mile one beeped 6:15. The same as last time. Last time I went out the back door. My expectation today was just do better. Show progress.

Yellow jacket fell back and I tried to settle 50m behind the tall grey tee. Next% was already on the other side of the park. The heart rate hadn't come down for the 2nd hill and it was a struggle. I wanted to attack it but the turnover wasn't there. The power wasn't there. Hill done and the body started to swing with the arms. Core core core I told myself. The mat will come out this week. Grey tee must have felt it too. Gap still 50m.

Lap 3 and down the hill again. No chance of settling now. I was not in race mode, no chance of speeding up. It was survival mode, limit the fade. Rounding bunches of walkers on the flat section. I glanced at the watch. Hr 180, pace 6:55, oh dear! Low point here. Too old for this lark. Snapped out of it just shy of hill 3. Mile 2 beeped 6:35, not as bad as last time. Positive again.

Then the hill sucked it out of me. 8:×× pace on the watch. Grey tee pulling away. Path busy with all sorts. It would be so easy to slot in behind a group and jog the last lap. But hey, still 3rd and one lap to go. Just give it what you have. Onto lap 4. Legs out of control on the descent. Hit the flat section on my physio flies past me full of beans. 4th now going backwards. Trying to surge but legs dont have it. Lungs dont have it. This is the best I have. Limit the fade.

The 4th hill hurt a lot but I wasn't passed and just the straight to the finish left. Mile 3 beeped 6:55, woeful but not as bad as 7:00 last time. I have a PB at least. Progress! Crossed the line 4th, spent hands on knees, in 20:02, a 20sec PB.

I did 5 miles easy home to reflect. I'm satisfied with that. The pacing still poor, the fade poor but nonetheless progress. A benchmark to work from. My average hr was 177 and max on hill 4 of 187, my max!! I could not have worked harder and thats just how it felt. At times I wanted to attack and close the gap to grey tee or surge up the hill. The mind was willing, I was driven but the stamina just wasn't there. It will improve, its early days...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Considering you’ve had a few consecutive 75+ mile weeks past two weeks, the lack of zip in the legs is understandable. It’s early days as you say, you’ll improve hugely, you know you will.

If you had vaporfly that would been at least 19.59 ;)

All joking aside you know yourself there's plenty more to come. Nice marker laid there. That's not an easy route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super improvement in a short space none the less and more to come too. Well done.

Sun 26 Jan
    Long Run 15.55m @7:52, inc. 3x5min @HMP (Z4)

Such a beautiful day for running. Alas I had to drive down the country with my eldest for a rugby match in the glorious sunshine, long run done pre dawn in the dark.

Thankfully the overnight rain had stopped. Lots of puddles though. I covered the Limerick half marathon route to get a feel for it. Lumpier than I remembered. The first mile sleepy. Frightened the bejeezus out of a poor girl walking alone on O Connell Avenue. Gave her a smile before she karate chopped me. The fatigue was there so steady 6 miles including an emergency stop, to warm up. This was a long run with stuff.

Overall I'm happy with mileage and long run volume. I've no need to increase either so now it's about working within that. I wont get much from 2hrs easy so LRs will either be steady pace, progression or have stuff like fast finish or long intervals.

Today was a small start to stuff. 3x5min HM intervals (Z4) with 5 mins easy (Z2). The intervals were based off heart rate as I dont know yet what my HM pace will be. The reps will get longer but the 'rest' will stay and 5 mins.
    Rep 1: 5 mins @6:39
    Rep 2: 5 mins @6:23
    Rep 3: 5 mins @6:43

The quickest downtown and across the bridge. The slowest into a slight breeze on the NCR. Overall pretty solid considering the torture yesterday. Kept it easy for the last 4 miles of the course. Happy to bank a 2hr run by 8am, in time to cook pancakes for the kids, and a monster one for Dad!

Week Summary
    Total 76.64 miles in 10hr40
    Run streak 31 days
    VO2 dropped from 55 to 54
    Weight dropped from 82 to 81.5kg
    Stepped up the intensity
    Minor shin ache
    Parkrun PB 20:02

Overall I'm happy with mileage and long run volume. I've no need to increase either so now it's about working within that. I wont get much from 2hrs easy so LRs will either be steady pace, progression or have stuff like fast finish or long intervals.

I'm curious when you say you don't think you'll get much from 2hrs easy. I reckon we probably know each other well enough at this stage that any comments won't be taken badly.

After a really hard parkrun effort the day before would you not think it's very high risk running another session the day after? And even beyond that, would a 2hr easy run on tired legs not benefit you hugely? All meant in good spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm curious when you say you don't think you'll get much from 2hrs easy. I reckon we probably know each other well enough at this stage that any comments won't be taken badly.

After a really hard parkrun effort the day before would you not think it's very high risk running another session the day after? And even beyond that, would a 2hr easy run on tired legs not benefit you hugely? All meant in good spirit.

I'd agree. I know the risk/reward balance is a tough one to get right but you're going big on everything....mileage and pace. You are in no hurry.

Cheers lads.
    1. Correct in no hurry. Limerick half marathon now a goal though so starting late. Went back over my 2012 diary to see what shape I was in to hit my pb. No biggie if I cant get close as this phase will set me up for DCM plan. Not trying to chase my 2012 shape but I'm more run focused now and would like to have a go.

2. Fully appreciate the feedback. Race yesterday was 19min in redzone. All I had. 2hrs easy would have been plenty today, perhaps even too much? I've circled and bolded recovery in my diary for this week. Its not a step back week, just conscious of recovery. I was prepared to back off this morning. Didn't look at pace only heart rate (my control mech) and stuck to Z4. 5 mins rec was loads. 3x5mins cause it was dipping the toe in. The paces better than expected. I guess Im talking about in general. I'm doing enough easy mileage (70-90 min runs) that a longer easy run will have negligible benefits. Perhaps I'm completely wrong? I barely raced over the last 5 years so I need to learn that side of both racing and recovery again.

Thanks again for reading and your comments, I'd prefer to be challenged with good intentions than run myself into a hole. Partly why I log here..

Cheers lads. 1. Correct in no hurry. Limerick half marathon now a goal though so starting late. Went back over my 2012 diary to see what shape I was in to hit my pb. No biggie if I cant get close as this phase will set me up for DCM plan. Not trying to chase my 2012 shape but I'm more run focused now and would like to have a go.

I get this completely but the key is to train smart not hard and those who train hard often end up injured. I guess I'm particularly interested here coz you and me are coming from similar places and my mentality is purely "screw limerick, I'll be in whatever shape I'll be come the bank Holiday weekend".
    2. Fully appreciate the feedback. Race yesterday was 19min in redzone. All I had. 2hrs easy would have been plenty today, perhaps even too much? I've circled and bolded recovery in my diary for this week. Its not a step back week, just conscious of recovery. I was prepared to back off this morning. Didn't look at pace only heart rate (my control mech) and stuck to Z4. 5 mins rec was loads. 3x5mins cause it was dipping the toe in. The paces better than expected. I guess Im talking about in general. I'm doing enough easy mileage (70-90 min runs) that a longer easy run will have negligible benefits. Perhaps I'm completely wrong? I barely raced over the last 5 years so I need to learn that side of both racing and recovery again.

I get where your coming from. And I'm always reluctant to question someone's approach coz if there's one thing I've learned it's that one rule does not fit all and the best thing any of us can do is figure out what works for ourselves. I guess I see you with very big mileage weeks, two hard sessions in a row and I would fear you're a high risk of injury. I recall from reading your log over the past year that you've trained very hard (at times too hard in my mind) and you've ended up injured. But I dunno. It's hard to say coz I think you know what works for you better than I do. I'm just a conservative trainer. I've seen and learned from my last two years that aggressive doesn't work for me. Consistent training even sometimes undercooking it works well for me.

Mon 27 Jan
    Easy 11.24m @8:47, hr 139, 1hr38

After reading all those Raheny reports, writing a post about an easy run feels like arriving at a roaring dress up party, undressed!

I timed it to meet swashbuckler for the last 2 miles after a very kind off of company. Least he could do after giving out too me yesterday :pac: He was the 3rd human being I saw out. The first at 5:40am, the local postman cycling up over the flyover with full bags into a bitterly cold breeze. Who'd be a postman?! :confused: After that nobody for the next 6 miles. So quiet, so calm. Even suburbia. The country road section was pitch black. Clear sky full of stars and no moon. I nearly veered into a ditch looking at the belly of an aircraft coming in for a landing at Shannon airport. I could make out each individual light against the black sky. Apart from that, it was utterly quiet, cold and calm. Not even the first chirps of the dawn chorus.

Back into the light and into the Industrial Estate to meet swashbuckler at 6:50. Cars starting to fly in. I was 10 minutes early so looped around another easy mile. Great to finally meet and the last 2 miles back down through suburbia flew. We chatted about loads in such a short space of time. Back in time for a big bowl of porridge with the kids and the first bit of stretching this month. Legs good.

I even hopped the fence rather than make you wait for me to loop round!

Great to finally meet. Like I said, those couple of miles flew by. Made me realise how lonely sole running can be at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Interesting discussion on the weekends exploits.

FWIW I can see where P is coming form regarding the hard days hard and easy days easy. I think there is a difference in philosophies here probably stemming from Triathlon days. Runners generally opt for the conservative side of 2 hard days and the rest easy where as Triathlon tends to have some many different training stimulus and volume to compete with that it tends to be a quality session per day as priority.

I think both can learn from each other to a degree. Triathlete's tend to be a lot better aerobically developed to be able to recover from sessions from that standpoint simply because they need to when training for three disciplines. The issue revolves around the non aerobic side of things. Bio mechanically running load can have a huge bearing on injury risk and needs to be considered. Where a triathlete might be able to do a hard run one day, hard swim the next and a long steady bike the following all aerobically taxing but certain load bearing muscle groups get a break even if the aerobic system doesn't.

In terms of the adding reps based off Heart Rate this could actually be beneficial to an extent. If you are fatigued and form is dropping this could be a way of resetting form to prevent plodding. Long recoveries between as well should leave these less taxing so this could solve any issues of form degradation however this is a fine line as the intensity could just be enough to cause fatigue to actually bring on that form degradation trying to avoid and an easy effort might have been just enough.

This comes down to the individual approach though I would say though that back to back like that you are on borrowed time and the recovery needs to come from somewhere so if you are to do as such you would need to compensate for that on day 3 even more than you would have keeping the LR easy (though it looks as though already on the cards)

• Advertisement

Hey KSU you made a great point as usual.

Its been a long time since my triathlon days (10-15hrs per week across disciplines in 2010-2013). Some context that runners may find mad..

I set my 10k PB 38:09 at Adare the day after a hard freezing 4hr 120km bike.
    I ran 3:00:20 at the Connemara Marathon the day after cycling the
    course out and back and cycled from Galway to Limerick the next day.
    Hard run days were always also swim days.

Your point about aerobic conditioning is valid. Recovery times are shorter when loading different muscle groups differently. I generally tipped away at 20-25 miles a week run volume - ramped up for the marathon - with little ramp down of other sports. Thats why I liked the Hansons method of managing cumulative fatigue. It was vaguely familiar. I do find specific run fitness to be different. For starters being much more patient about developing it. Does an aerobic base from other sports help build quicker or is the non aerobic load still the critical factor?

Using heart rate for reps: I generally use heart rate either as a cap or control mech to tell me what pace is realistic. Interesting point on borrowed time and day 3. So the loose plan below should have me rethinking Tuesday?

Plan for the week (while I build a plan backwards from the half marathon)
    M: Easy
    T: Speed reps - undecided what session to do, maybe repeat 3x (400/2x200)
    W: Easy
    T: Strength 2m MP
    F: Easy
    S: Easy with strides
    S: Long with 3x10' HMP

When I am on a plan I am disciplined not just to executing it but managing load and recovery. Once the 2nd marathon cycle went out the door last year, I had no structure, no plan and stopped.

I sure have plenty to learn about "just" running :D

Advertisement