Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

That would worry me actually. The fact that they ever delivered the South Gates into existance would worry me about them doing anything to connect terminal buildings.

I am kinda surprised an elevated walkway hasn’t been built from T2 to the south gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Unless I'm very blind there hasn't ever been an early (7:00am) DUB-DXB. I think you might be thinking of the Etihad service to AUH.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Inquitus wrote: »
    Both the early and the late Dubai flight (7am and 12:55pm ish) occur during US preclearance so both are beholden to the 1 Gate, 400C.

That's Abu Dhabi you're thinking of, not Dubai.

Dubai is 11:55/12:55 and evening time (after USPC is closed)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

if a hypothetical 3rd terminal for Ulick was Ok’d,could the Daa not just refuse said terminal access to its runways?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why does it need the 400c gate ? They all lead to the same INIS gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    Why does it need the 400c gate ? They all lead to the same INIS gates.

It doesn't have to be however its only useable one early morning unless they moved to 300 gates. They could move to 300 if they really want a 3rd daily in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Lots of reasons why they want 400C

1. Possible to use two jet bridges to split business and economy
    2. Coming in via 400C passengers can be diverted down a secure corridor beyond the one way gates so they cannot access the T2 satellite connections centre and must use the legacy connections centre and go through security there. 400C It is the only gate in T2 which is setup this way.
    3. Its the nearest wide body gate to the terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Thanks for the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

What's the difference in the T2 satellite connections centre and the legacy connections centre?? I've often wondered what the point of those one way gates in T2 arrivals is and why they went to the effort to segregate passengers arriving at one gate to just after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

BigMoose wrote: »
    What's the difference in the T2 satellite connections centre and the legacy connections centre?? I've often wondered what the point of those one way gates in T2 arrivals is and why they went to the effort to segregate passengers arriving at one gate to just after them.
    No security check. Passengers from flights from EU and US don't need to be re-screened (but they do need to pass through an immigration check because of the CTA). The UAE isn't deemed to be security compliant, so passengers on Emirates flights need to go through security.

• Advertisement

The new location is between the arrivals and departures levels of the T2 pier. It has no security check, just ticket/passport. Only EU, US, CA flights may use this. Anyone arriving via the south gates gets dropped at a T2 gate so have access

If you arrive via 300 gates or via Dubai you get shunted to the original facility where a security check is required as you are mixed with others

The one way gates stops someone from Dubai or 300 gates going back into the T2 pier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

steve-o wrote: »
    No security check. Passengers from flights from EU and US don't need to be re-screened (but they do need to pass through an immigration check because of the CTA). The UAE isn't deemed to be security compliant, so passengers on Emirates flights need to go through security.

Why would you get a Emirates flight to DUB, then transfer to the EI or any other airline ex DUB flights to the US? Genuinely can’t see this happening much, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Why would you get a Emirates flight to DUB, then transfer to the EI or any other airline ex DUB flights to the US? Genuinely can’t see this happening much, if at all.
    That's beside the point. From a security standpoint, passengers arriving on a UAE flight (whether connecting or not) can't mix with "clean" connecting passengers, otherwise everyone needs to be re-screened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I can see plenty of reasons for doing that. Flights from DXB to the US are hideously long for a start - it's good to get up and stretch!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EI used to get a lot of transfers from EY, do they still codeshare on EI’s TATL flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

HTCOne wrote: »
    EI used to get a lot of transfers from EY, do they still codeshare on EI’s TATL flights?

EY have a lot of transfers on to EI, especially in the summer (up to 100 of the morning EY pax can be going onto the UK and US with EI each day).

EK generally have no transfers, but any passengers they mix with are no longer 'sterile' and must be rescreened before travelling onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Any updates and/or pictures of the construction of the Northern runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

pajoguy wrote: »
    Any updates and/or pictures of the construction of the Northern runway.

Not sure if it's a closed group so I'll also attach it here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/DublinAirportSpotters.28/permalink/1208933755962716/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Saw these on insta.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there an existing runway cutting across the middle of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is there an existing runway cutting across the middle of it?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Yes

Is that to be decommissioned? If that's the right word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is that to be decommissioned? If that's the right word

No
    It will be a taxiway between the 2 main runways and a cross wind backup runway.

Also a bit of the old 29 there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

sparrowcar wrote: »
    No
    It will be a taxiway between the 2 main runways and a cross wind backup runway.

Can you fill me in on this? Is it only a crosswind landing runway? I know they do something similar in Newark. I can’t imagine loaded USA flights taking off on it.

Seems like the new runway is a little short for an airport that could position itself as a hub between the USA and EMEA. Any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Elemonator wrote: »
    Can you fill me in on this? Is it only a crosswind landing runway? I know they do something similar in Newark. I can’t imagine loaded USA flights taking off on it.

Seems like the new runway is a little short for an airport that could position itself as a hub between the USA and EMEA. Any truth to this?

I’m no expert, but I have seen Qatar’s planes land there, and their planes aren’t exactly 737’s or A320.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elemonator wrote: »

Its used most mornings for dual takeoffs if wind allows and otherwise used as a crosswind runway.

The new runway is an appropriate length for a US-Euro hub and realistically sufficient for any flights we're likely to get. The existing main runway was deliberately crippled to protect Shannon but aircraft improved.

Current 16/34 is sufficient to take almost any normal landing aircraft, A330's land on it regularly.

If the wind is right you can get a A330 to SFO/LAX off 16 but that requires 20-30 knots straight down the runway. On a calm day only 10/28 will get a A330 (or even a A321NEOLR) to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Any reason they're not progressing with crossing the existing runway? Would have thought it'd make sense to do it now when things are quietest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I’m no expert, but I have seen Qatar’s planes land there, and their planes aren’t exactly 737’s or A320.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Its used most mornings for dual takeoffs if wind allows and otherwise used as a crosswind runway.

The new runway is an appropriate length for a US-Euro hub and realistically sufficient for any flights we're likely to get. The existing main runway was deliberately crippled to protect Shannon but aircraft improved.
    Current 16/34 is sufficient to take almost any normal landing aircraft, A330's land on it regularly.

If the wind is right you can get a A330 to SFO/LAX off 16 but that requires 20-30 knots straight down the runway. On a calm day only 10/28 will get a A330 (or even a A321NEOLR) to the US

Thanks all.

L1011, any idea when the extended version of the new runway was canned? I actually know a few pilots and one of them is USA routes with Aer Lingus. He told me that the lost 500 metres or so meant that tons of load would be made impossible but that is wasn't a big deal. Showed me the 1960's? plants for Dublin Airport. Two 3500m runways and another one intersecting 16/34 in an X pattern.

Advertisement