Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bowman Palace plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    Fab bikes, what size did you go for? My bro picked up a orange/teal frame back around black Friday.

Bars .. carbon will reduce some road buzz. I've alu on all my bikes, but maybe born from racing and worrying about potential cracks or delimitation on carbon bars after any crashes.

I got the classic black and jade/celeste/cyan (whatever you want to call it). I don't like the green much and I already have an orange and grey frame in the TCR.

I'd imagine the Alu bars would be a bit stiffer would they? Past bikes of mine with wide-ish carbon bars have been a bit wobbly when you're swinging outta the drops. Not the nicest sensation. Alu certainly cheaper too.

Recommend a nice set of aluminium bars with a nice old-man-friendly compact drop and reach? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Zipp service course SL?

3T Ergonova Pro?

Have a slight preference for the 3T kit myself - stems more interesting, but yeah depends on the rothar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

fat bloke wrote: »
    I got the classic black and jade/celeste/cyan (whatever you want to call it). I don't like the green much and I already have an orange and grey frame in the TCR.

I'd imagine the Alu bars would be a bit stiffer would they? Past bikes of mine with wide-ish carbon bars have been a bit wobbly when you're swinging outta the drops. Not the nicest sensation. Alu certainly cheaper too.

Recommend a nice set of aluminium bars with a nice old-man-friendly compact drop and reach? :)

Have a set of brand spanking new, in the box, never even seen the light of day Fizik R5 bars that I'll let go at a good discount

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Have a set of brand spanking new, in the box, never even seen the light of day Fizik R5 bars that I'll let go at a good discount

Cool. What's the craic? Model, size, drop, width, compact?

Edit

Actually just looking up the R5 there, they'd be a bit entry level, I'd probably shell out a bit for something posher. This build is leaning towards "good bike" rather than mere trainer.

Cool. What's the craic? Model, size, drop, width, compact?

Edit

Actually just looking up the R5 there, they'd be a bit entry level, I'd probably shell out a bit for something posher. This build is leaning towards "good bike" rather than mere trainer.

Made a mistake, they're the R3 42CM Bull 80X139MM

• Advertisement

Ah. OK. Lemme suss em out. How much you asking? You're not in Dublin, sure you're not?

They might be the job T09. My other two bikes are 42 and 44. I didn't know that there was a difference til I went to measure yesterday so 42 is fine.

Ah. OK. Lemme suss em out. How much you asking? You're not in Dublin, sure you're not?

I paid around 70 for them but i think you can get better deals now. Up in Dublin Sunday week but could send by DPD if suitable.

I paid around 70 for them but i think you can get better deals now. Up in Dublin Sunday week but could send by DPD if suitable.

Sunday week could well work for me. Postage might be dear would it, boxed bars are bulky enough.

They're on sale a lot of places at the minute, but not in stock everywhere. Wiggle have Bull 42's for €61 and Merlin for €58.

Offer 40 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I know your already looking at other bars, but just on carbon bars an alu frame. My allez dsw has carbon zipps bars and a carbon seat post too, does it make it anymore comfortable? I'm not sure, it's definitely the harshest of my bikes, all others are carbon. Never rode it with alu bars but not sure they would make it any tougher to be honest. Zipp bars with the 70 after them tend to be short reach and low drop, I find them very comfortable. Shorter reach can mean you have a longer stem too and that always looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Just saw this pop up again now. The bar tape I put on originally was Cinelli Cork handlebar tape from Merlin. I don't have it on it any more. I put some black canyon bar tape on when I changed bars as the cinellii stuff tore when taking it off the original bars. I have been meaning to get some more celeste tape though.

I have a set of Canyon alu bars on it now and I don't find any problems with road vibrations. Saying that I have been toying with putting aero carbon bars on it, something like the Pro Vibe.

Be interested to see what bars you go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

They might be the job T09. My other two bikes are 42 and 44. I didn't know that there was a difference til I went to measure yesterday so 42 is fine.

Did you measured your bars at the hoods? R3 have flared drops so 42cm will have 40 at hoods. If you want 42cm at hoods you need 44cm size.
    About best handlebars my vote goes to FSA Energy Compact 80mm reach and 128mm drop gives very relaxed bars. Keep in mind that drops are flared as well so you might need 44-46cm to get 42-44cm at the hoods respectable.

sin_26 wrote: »
    Did you measured your bars at the hoods? R3 have flared drops so 42cm will have 40 at hoods. If you want 42cm at hoods you need 44cm size.
    About best handlebars my vote goes to FSA Energy Compact 80mm reach and 128mm drop gives very relaxed bars. Keep in mind that drops are flared as well so you might need 44-46cm to get 42-44cm at the hoods respectable.

Are you sure about that? It says this on Merlin cycles:

"Fi’zi:k handlebars widths are measured centre-to-centre ‘on the tops’ (behind where the STIs are attached to the bar). They are NOT measured centre-to-centre ‘on the drops’ (between the centre of each bar plug)."

So based on that 42 should fit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yeah, the Fizik bar isn't flared. I've the R3 Snake on my SuperSix.

Sunday week could well work for me. Postage might be dear would it, boxed bars are bulky enough.

They're on sale a lot of places at the minute, but not in stock everywhere. Wiggle have Bull 42's for €61 and Merlin for €58.

Offer 40 quid?

I hope I haven't insulted you with my offer Trekker:o. You might get back to me on it please. Frame arrived yesterday so I'll be .... gettin' mah build on.

I hope I haven't insulted you with my offer Trekker:o. You might get back to me on it please. Frame arrived yesterday so I'll be .... gettin' mah build on.

Apologies, only seeing this notification now!

Will take 45 as I won't use them as I've just procured a new BMC SLR01 & Canyon Ultimate, so no builds for me on the horizon :)

It would be Sunday week before I get up to Dublin.

Apologies, only seeing this notification now!

Will take 45 as I won't use them as I've just procured a new BMC SLR01 & Canyon Ultimate, so no builds for me on the horizon :)

It would be Sunday week before I get up to Dublin.

Sweeeet! I'll take the bars and you presuming it's a 56 (and not disc?) you might put my name on a post-it on the BMC for 2022

Sweeeet! I'll take the bars and you presuming it's a 56 (and not disc?) you might put my name on a post-it on the BMC for 2022

Even my wife loves the look of the BMC!! 1st time using DA9100 and am well impressed. Rim brakes FTW :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

fat_bloke we're gonna need pics of the Bowman.
    One of the loveliest road bikes out there IMO. I've wanted one ever since they came out.
    Some day...

25% off at the mo. Frameset landed for less than 700 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Palace:R?

Faptastic.

• Advertisement

Even my wife loves the look of the BMC!! 1st time using DA9100 and am well impressed. Rim brakes FTW :D

Pm sent, presuming we're still on for the bars deal this weekend?

Pm sent, presuming we're still on for the bars deal this weekend?

Cheers, just replied

Cheers to Trekker for the bars. They're spot on.

I cobbled together a bike shaped object yesterday and when my meagre bag of bike-assembling talent ran out I dropped it and the rest of the bits into Bee Cycles to complete :)

A few bits to go on yet but pleasingly light as is!

IMG-20200123-174333023.jpg

Looks gorgeous.

That pic is causing Ecsher like problems in my brain. How is the bike upright?! What is the front wheel balancing on?! :confused:

Cheers to Trekker for the bars. They're spot on.

I cobbled together a bike shaped object yesterday and when my meagre bag of bike-assembling talent ran out I dropped it and the rest of the bits into Bee Cycles to complete :)

A few bits to go on yet but pleasingly light as is!

IMG-20200123-174333023.jpg

Niiice!! Is that a childs potty holding up the bike? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Jaysus Fat Boy. If that's the extent of your bike building talent it's no wonder you couldn't change an aul tyre on the side of the road!!!

eeeee wrote: »
    Looks gorgeous.

That pic is causing Ecsher like problems in my brain. How is the bike upright?! What is the front wheel balancing on?! :confused:
    Niiice!! Is that a childs potty holding up the bike? :D

Cycloc. - Cool AND expensive. :D

https://cycloc.com/ps/

Plastik wrote: »
    Jaysus Fat Boy. If that's the extent of your bike building talent it's no wonder you couldn't change an aul tyre on the side of the road!!!

Well, when I saw myself taking the hacksaw to the wrong end of the fork I figured it was time to call in the experts.:pac:

IMG-20200212-191757402.jpg
    pics of x

Here is she is! Fresh outta the back of the car. Had a quick little spin on the rollers for sizing. Might need a shorter stem. But dying to see what her road manners will be like.

Oh lovely. So pretty.
    Most importantly what's her name?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

edith?

Advertisement