Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Educate me on watch brands under EUR1000

• 16-01-2020 10:28pm

I'd prefer not to state what I like, what I don't like for the moment but I'm in the market to purchase a mens watch for under EUR1000.

As the thread progresses and my search progresses I'll start to share some examples for critique- and indeed, I mean critique- give me your worst/best on my suggestion which will help me decide.

I"m looking for a watch with longevity- i.e. that it will last a long time.

I'd like maybe, if possible to start with terminology (Chronograph, Quartz etc) coupled with brands- Seiko, Raymond Weil, Hamilton, Tissot, TAG Heuer etc- and get your great knowledge on these- I respect those who regularly post here so I'll certainly listen to what you have to say.

Obviously I'm not in Rolex territory here with my price range - and even some of the brands i've quoted have choices mostly over 1K rather than under 1K- and that's Euro btw.

OK- let's see how this goes.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

First thing I would suggest is to buy pre-owned.

1k will get some decent 2nd hand watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd second Cmar.

Omega-gene could probably offer great advice on whats available too, as can a few ohers.

Apart from Rolex SS, most watches take a dump on depreciation as soon as they are bought.
    I'd rather avoid that "loss" and buy 2nd hand if I can.

if you are going to buy new, ask for a cash discount.

Chronograph- Multi Dialled, Usually 1 main dial that tells time and 2 or 3 sub dials for seconds, elapsed minutes and hrs
    Quartz- Time elapsed is calculated by the resonant frequency of a quartz crystal vibration and translated into timing either digital, electronic or electro-mechanical.

I may be wromg on the above, no doubt if i am someone will advise, its one of the great things about this sub, the lack of patronisation when correcting.
    its always a learning day.

Thank you all for your posts so far- I'm learning already :)

All opinions will be gratefully accepted and as the thread gets going and as I post and learn more, I'll open up a little around where my preference is in terms of what I think would look well taking into account what you people are saying- it's just a bit early yet and I don't want to close down the conversation or lock myself down too much, too early- it's more a marathon than a race- purchase will probably be a good 4 weeks away if not 6-8, so a little time here (pardon the pun :P)

Second hand? I certainly won't rule it out- but longevity does mean a lot to me, so reputable vendors/sellers is a must with whatever paperwork needs to be in place- and of course, it needs to be the right watch. But then again, depreciation of a new watch needs to be balanced with longevity of course along with enjoyment/features.

I won't be going with a watch that says "Boss"- just because it says "Boss"- but yeah, "swiss made" or "Geneve" or whatever does attract me right now- but hay, persuade me otherwise- see where the thread is going now?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Without saying what you like, it's difficult to suggest something.

So I'll throw out a suggestion for your under your budget from a reputable maker to try get more information from you about what you like or not about it.

Sinn 556 on leather strap comes in at €960.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

+1 for Sinn, and don't get too caught up in the whole "Swiss Made" thing (Sinn are German), it really doesn't mean very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

It's hard to say without knowing what you're after.

Do want a diver, pilots or dress watch?
    Do you want automatic, mechanical or quarts?
    A metal, nato, rubber or leather strap?

I'd stay away from fashion brands to begin with.

You can get a lovely Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical for less than €500.

Omega have some great (but less sophisticated offerings) at that price point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Here's a glossary of watch terms that you might find helpful

https://www.chrono24.com/info/lexikon.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Stowa would be number one choice in that price range.

Plenty of other options too. Higher end Seiko's, Longines are good value for their price point you're not paying for extra for the brand in the same way as other high end marques.

Main thing is what type of watch you like and when you will be wearing it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MrMiata wrote: »

Omega have some great (but less sophisticated offerings) at that price point too.

I have to agree with this, at least narrow it down to either a dress watch or a tool/diver type watch. Do you want a day/date or moonphase as well:confused:

It's probably better to buy the bracelet with the watch, it's easier get a leather strap afterwards and can be expensive or at least difficult to get the correct bracelet later.

I've only bought one watch in this price band, a used Damasko which I wear nearly 6 days a week.

Do a bit of research on the watch movement as well, all part of the fun if you are mechanically minded.

Another thing to consider is the size of the watch face, there is a downward trend from 42 to perhaps 38mm. Vintage watches are smaller but that's a whole different rabbit hole, there are nice, good quality swiss made vintage watches which make good dress watches, but I wouldn't recommend them as a daily driver. Longines or Omega would be a good place to start.

Enjoy the hunt.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Just to throw up a suggestion, here is a Seiko that you would find pre-owned within budget.

The Marinemaster 200.

• Advertisement

Thanks all- don’t have time to reply today but will get back to all tomorrow- some great info posted and yes I’ll be more specific tomorrow in my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just to throw another brand into the mix, have a look at some of Christopher Ward's watches. Some of their newer dive watches are quite nice (C60, C65), but I don't own any of them (yet!). I kind of see them as positioned between Tissot and Oris, but in many cases the use the same Sellita movements as Oris. They have a clearance sale at the moment, some watches half price, others have 30% off. Might be something in there that you like.

https://www.christopherward.eu

Darwin wrote: »
    Just to throw another brand into the mix, have a look at some of Christopher Ward's watches. Some of their newer dive watches are quite nice (C60, C65), but I don't own any of them (yet!). I kind of see them as positioned between Tissot and Oris, but in many cases the use the same Sellita movements as Oris. They have a clearance sale at the moment, some watches half price, others have 30% off. Might be something in there that you like.

https://www.christopherward.eu

Ok so I think this will help everyone - thanks for posting that link. Now tell me what Im looking at and why they are more expensive than say Seiko watches?
    Some gorgeous watches here IMHO but I haven’t a clue in terms of innards, quality etc and how they differ from cheaper brands than say Seiko.

So I’m loving Moon glow but it’s twice my budget- anything else similar to this under 1000?
    Trident automatic is “ok”

CT grand tourer looks good-

C65 black gold is nice but I don’t like the strap

Can you buy this brand in an Irish stockist?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Without saying what you like, it's difficult to suggest something.

So I'll throw out a suggestion for your under your budget from a reputable maker to try get more information from you about what you like or not about it.

Sinn 556 on leather strap comes in at €960.

Thanks but I wasn’t mad on that particular watch but I’ll study the brand in more detail as obviously I haven’t heard of that before.
    MrMiata wrote: »

Thanks- it’s a smart watch for sure- I’m also exploring other Hamilton’s now on that website as they’res quite a selection. Thanks- maybe ones with more dials on them? Chronograph? Is there an Irish stockist?
    Just to throw up a suggestion, here is a Seiko that you would find pre-owned within budget.

The Marinemaster 200.

I had a Seiko kinetic - loved it. The watch strap went and I could not get anyone to repair it even the reputable jeweler I brought it from- I think Seiko said they didn’t have the strap anymore. Was that Seiko about 2k new or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dont have a clue about watches but I wouldn't buy a Tissot. Shockingly bad value. I brought one for my husband + it stopped working. Luckily still under warranty so they replaced it with another one. That stopped working aswell but was out of warranty so no replacement.

Madness. This was what I would consider an expensive watch + yet a cheap watch for €80 would have lasted longer!

OK so, I’m becoming a watch nerd and it’s only taken a few days :D

Off topic and completely off budget but my god, Jaquet droz are works of art but way out of my price range

https://www.jaquet-droz.com/

Back to reality and I’m considering Stowa and Hamilton and Christopher Ward as brands - anyone know if there are stockists in Ireland as I’d like to see before buy if at all possible.

Any other suggestions for brands do let me know but I’m grateful to date for what you all posted.

Will rule out second hand for the moment .

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ie/

https://www.stowa.de/en/

https://www.christopherward.eu/watches/dress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

appledrop wrote: »
    Dont have a clue about watches but I wouldn't buy a Tissot. Shockingly bad value. I brought one for my husband + it stopped working. Luckily still under warranty so they replaced it with another one. That stopped working aswell but was out of warranty so no replacement.

Madness. This was what I would consider an expensive watch + yet a cheap watch for €80 would have lasted longer!

Conversely, I've had one for 4 years now. Never an ounce of trouble has it given me and still keeps great time.

Great selection of Hamilton watches in Kildare Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Stowa are online only - unless you fancy a trip to the Black Forest.

I have a Marine auto with date on a brown leather strap and I absolutely love it. No hesitation in recommending them and they are very good to deal with. Delivery within the week AFAIR.

Hamilton look decent, and I can't comment on C Ward.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but look at Steinhart also - another boutique German brand.

Would you consider a Bulova Lunar Pilot?

blindsider wrote: »
    Stowa are online only - unless you fancy a trip to the Black Forest.

I have a Marine auto with date on a brown leather strap and I absolutely love it. No hesitation in recommending them and they are very good to deal with. Delivery within the week AFAIR.

Hamilton look decent, and I can't comment on C Ward.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but look at Steinhart also - another boutique German brand.

Would you consider a Bulova Lunar Pilot?

Haven’t heard of steinhart so will research this week. I do like Stowa a lot but most of the watches from them that I like are well beyond my stated budget.
    By the way, when I do determine my watch, how do I know what watch strap size to get as quite possibly I’ll have to buy online if there’s no stockiest in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great selection of Hamilton watches in Kildare Village.

Are they discounted much there?
    Or would I pick up one online cheaper?

@blindsider- you’ve made my life more difficult now- an awful lot of choice there at the high end of my budget:P

So at some point this week I might select a few watches from different brands to get peoples views here around what exactly I’m getting for my money- I think that will be the most interesting part for me.

Thanks again all, a great education. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

blindsider wrote: »

Steinhart was my first "good" watch. The quality of these watches can't be beaten at their price point. Most of their styles are homages, by which I mean the same style as Rolex and other brands. If this puts you off then look elsewhere. Otherwise they're excellent quality for the money

I sold it a while ago and they hold value on the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are they discounted much there?
    Or would I pick up one online cheaper?

I believe it's up to 33%, but it's a bit of a lottery as to what's down there at a certain time. They do have a good selection at all times, though. In my view the only way you'd do better price-wise on the models they have is if you go pre-worn but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Ok so I think this will help everyone - thanks for posting that link. Now tell me what Im looking at and why they are more expensive than say Seiko watches?
    Some gorgeous watches here IMHO but I haven’t a clue in terms of innards, quality etc and how they differ from cheaper brands than say Seiko.

So I’m loving Moon glow but it’s twice my budget- anything else similar to this under 1000?
    Trident automatic is “ok”

CT grand tourer looks good-

C65 black gold is nice but I don’t like the strap

Can you buy this brand in an Irish stockist?

Seiko are mass produced while Christoper Ward is more of a boutique brand, so Seiko have efficiencies of scale that CW does not have which would account for some of the price difference. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Seiko, they have some fantastic reliable movements and great build quality.
    If you buy CW, I suppose you are getting some form of exclusivity as their watches are only available online. Something to keep in mind is the arrival of Brexit and whether you will have trouble returning something under warranty.
    Buying a watch really all comes down to personal preferences and taste. I think you should go and have a good look at what's on offer in Hour Passion in Kildare Village as they would stock a lot of options within your price range, looking is 90% of the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Haven’t heard of steinhart so will research this week. I do like Stowa a lot but most of the watches from them that I like are well beyond my stated budget.
    By the way, when I do determine my watch, how do I know what watch strap size to get as quite possibly I’ll have to buy online if there’s no stockiest in Ireland?

The watch strap size should be listed on the Fact Sheet e.g. 22mm

I believe it's up to 33%, but it's a bit of a lottery as to what's down there at a certain time. They do have a good selection at all times, though. In my view the only way you'd do better price-wise on the models they have is if you go pre-worn but open to correction.

I’ll make a journey there over coming week.

So guys, the deed is done.

I purchased the following for under 1000 euro and received a voucher for the outlet store (which I would absolutely use) bringing the net price down to about eur 870.

I’m beyond thrilled. Outlet store giving 20% off anything over eur1000 till end of January. I never even considered this particular model when researching online as it was well above budget- in one uk online jewellery store this watch is listed for £1,550.
    Many thanks for all the advice and guidance- as someone said, the search is nearly exciting as the purchase itself.

http://www.watchpaper.com/2016/12/23/hamilton-broadway-chronograph-a-week-on-the-wrist/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Nice. Can’t go wrong with a Hamilton!

(I bet my life you will buy another watch around the same budget before the year end and by 2021 you will be talking about a speedmaster or seamaster).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

So guys, the deed is done.

I purchased the following for under 1000 euro

http://www.watchpaper.com/2016/12/23/hamilton-broadway-chronograph-a-week-on-the-wrist/

Where did you get this?

Advertisement