Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Garrett would be a lightening rod for negativity

I wouldn't mind interviewing Wade Philips for DC though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Wade Philips should be hired without interview as DC now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Joe Judge over Matt Rhule, that's unexpected. Not sure how to feel about that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Knex. wrote: »
    Joe Judge over Matt Rhule, that's unexpected. Not sure how to feel about that one...

No one does! Anyone who says they know is lying. Wikipedia in 2025 is the exception.

What % of Patriots fans even know Judge exists? Wild few hours today for Giants fans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    No one does! Anyone who says they know is lying. Wikipedia in 2025 is the exception.

What % of Patriots fans even know Judge exists? Wild few hours today for Giants fans.

he's been at Foxboro a long time so I'd be surprised if Patriots fans didnt know of him. Special teams have always been good, but then again, when you have Matthew Slater as your dedicated ST leader and captain, it helps massively. Plus, Belichick is a big ST man.

however, Judge as a head coach? Seems a reach to be honest. I'd rather see him go through a couple of years as OC/DC rather than a WR coach and ST coordinator. Wish him all the best, but the success rate of Patriots coaches when they leave Foxboro has been spectacularly poor.

• Advertisement

Of course some fans are very aware of him. But what percentage of fans of any team can name their special teams coach? Bet it's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Knex. wrote: »

They didnt pass up on Rhule did they? I was under the impression he interviewed with the Panthers and took their offer without doing anymore

It sickens me to think the Jets let him walk away because they didnt want him bringing in his own staff, but then turned around and hired Adam Gase and his cronies

phatkev wrote: »
    They didnt pass up on Rhule did they? I was under the impression he interviewed with the Panthers and took their offer without doing anymore

It sickens me to think the Jets let him walk away because they didnt want him bringing in his own staff, but then turned around and hired Adam Gase and his cronies

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1214581904315424768?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Kylo Ren wrote: »

Given what the Panthers have signed him to I can kinda see why, thats a massive contract to give to a first time NFL coach

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

phatkev wrote: »
    Given what the Panthers have signed him to I can kinda see why, thats a massive contract to give to a first time NFL coach

If you think he's your guy for the long term then you give him a long term deal. 49ers did it with Shanahan even though he was never a HC at any level before, though obviously had a lot of OC experience in the NFL. It isn't like the money is going against the salary cap.

It is however hard to do that kind of deal if you aren't sure how long your GM will last or if your GM wants to keep all the power in the relationship. Another key thing was apparently how Rhule wanted money to develop a big analytics department, which I'm sure Gettleman wasn't signing up to (he already has his computer guys).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Slightly unrelated but I did have a chuckle at the description of Judge in an ESPN article this morning. To them, it sounds as if you’ve hired one half of a buddy-cop sitcom’s protagonists.
    ESPN wrote:
    He is considered a no-nonsense guy who isn't afraid to ruffle feathers with players if necessary.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As a patriots fan I'm interested to see how judge gets in in the top job. He is highly thought of inside the patriots organisation and this is a massive step up, and opportunity for him. Very out of left field I know!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

From what I hear, I like the cut of his jib. A detail-minded no bulsh1tter, after 2 years of Pat Schurmer waffling away his mistakes rather than correcting them. Presser starting on Giants.com in a couple of minutes
    Lot of respect from the Pats players like "When Bill wasnt there, Joe ran the room"

He had a decent interview with Bob Papa on youtube

I'll watch the presser when I get back

He had a decent suit unlike McAdoo

I know it's just words but he comes across as a no nonsense type guy

Hopefully that translates to the team on the pitch

Good start to the staff with keeping Thomas McGaughey as ST coach

Overall we were decent on ST last year

Now hopefully McGaughey can fix Rosas for next year

I don't think I've seen a press conference as packed with cliches and coach speak. Can see how Gettlemen and whoever hired Gettleman would have liked his interview.

He came across very Belichick like with a lot of his outlook which is great if you're winning but we've seen the pushback that other coaches from that tree have had implementing that kind of culture, especially when they aren't successful initially.

Don't think anyone can really assess the hire at this stage but with his lack of OC or DC skills, he'll likely succeed or fail based on who he can attract to those positions.

He didnt want to get into specifics about anything as he hasnt spoken to any of the players or looked at what they can or can't do. I've no problem with that. All he could do now was set out a general picture of what sort of team he wants.

I got the distinct impression that he is going to look at all the players individually and see how they can be best used, see how they can be improved and work with them, as opposed to last year where a player is stuck in a failing position for numerous games without changing anything .

I love the fact that he spoke so much about fundamentals, like tackling. Beating the player in front of you, before trying to run any fancy schemes.

Jason Garret is interviewing with the giants today for OC

I bokmarked this vid after the draft last year, when I was gutted and looking around for some hope. I hoped I could look at it a year later later and have a laugh. Just had a chuckle now, watching it again.

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »

What must it be like for a HC to be sacked and go to another team, to work under someone who was a special teams coordinator the previous year?

wawaman wrote:

He got the job.. Confirmed this evening

He got the job.. Confirmed this evening

Not overly impressed by those Giants hires. I'm not in principle against going with ST coaches as HCs but if you're going to go that route you really need to support them with a top tier OC and/or DC and it doesn't appear like they've done that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not overly impressed by those Giants hires. I'm not in principle against going with ST coaches as HCs

It's a far worse idea to hire a Pats assistant for any job - never works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm a lot more comfortable with these hires and the direction the franchise is moving in than I've been in a long while tbh.

Eli just retired. What a legend.. He's surely getting into the HOF

2 super bowl rings should mean he does

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see Eli has retired. As a eagles fan I hoped that the eagles beat the giants but Eli as a person when he was dropped by mcadont and when Daniel jones was made started you can’t fault the guy for the class in how he handled those situations.

I wouldn't have him in there but between the crazy US sport focus on championships equating to individual greatness and the Manning name I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Wish he'd retired sooner though, it is hard not to have his performances over the last few years taint what he was like at his peak (I await blame of every member of the Giants roster for how he looked :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Although it was the right decision probably to retire, I'm still sad to see it happen. I've supported the Giants ever since I picked them as my first team playing Madden 05 on the PS2 as a young teen, I don't think rookies even had profile pics on those older games but I still remember the name Eli Manning as my qb.

Thanks for the memories Eli, and you'll always be our qb, go G-men!

Advertisement