Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire Ashes in the Garden

Options
  • 21-01-2020 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

We burn turf in our stove and during the winter most of our waste bin is Ash, is there any benefit to using this in the garden?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

turf ash and wood ash can be used in the garden. high in potash, but best sprinkled rather than piled, it can get wet and claggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Or used as an additive to dry up grass heavy compost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

While it contains the good nutrients, like Carbon, it also contains the bad stuff like heavy metals. So better give it a nice thin distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Makes excellent cat litter too, then rainwashed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While turf and wood ash are reasonable additives they do need to be well mixed with compost or spread very thinly. If you use any coal whatsoever the ash is not suitable for the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you use any coal whatsoever the ash is not suitable for the garden.

Why do you say this? I have used coal ash to break up clay-like soil, and subsequently plant with woodland plants, with no ill effects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coal contains lots of stuff you don't want in your garden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coal_ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

pwurple wrote: »
    Why do you say this? I have used coal ash to break up clay-like soil, and subsequently plant with woodland plants, with no ill effects.

Far too many dangerous or toxic elements in coal. Plants may grow but the soil is being contaminated. Never grow edible crops near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Graces7 wrote: »
    Makes excellent cat litter too, then rainwashed...

Would there not be a terrible mess when the cat comes out of the litter tray and walks around the house with ash on his paws could not be good for him when he starts to clean his paws

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

pwurple wrote: »
    All very well for growing flowers, but if vegetables were subsequently grown at the same location they would contain toxic trace elements.

• Advertisement

We use only peat briquettes and home grown logs on the fire, and the kindling is usually untreated softwood. I sprinkle some of the ashes on the garden and add some to the compost. The surplus goes into the brown bin, after all it is organic waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

i am sure our brown bin says no ashes on it

No, that's the black bin. It says "No hot ashes"

Advertisement