Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Judo: Judogi rules for competition

Options
  • 27-12-2019 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi, 3 questions regarding Judo.

1. Is there a dedicated thread for Judo conversations, event announcements?

2. When it comes to grading and competition to build up point for grading, do I need an IJF branded judogi? If yes can I have only blue?
    a) context: all my judogi are not IJF. They are all white. If I need an IJF, im thinking about getting a blue. But i dont want to go to grading points competition and be told i can not participate cause I have no white IJF judogi.

3. What is the best place (store or online) to get a judogi?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

larbakium wrote: »
    Hi, 3 questions regarding Judo.

1. Is there a dedicated thread for Judo conversations, event announcements?

2. When it comes to grading and competition to build up point for grading, do I need an IJF branded judogi? If yes can I have only blue?
    a) context: all my judogi are not IJF. They are all white. If I need an IJF, im thinking about getting a blue. But i dont want to go to grading points competition and be told i can not participate cause I have no white IJF judogi.

3. What is the best place (store or online) to get a judogi?

Thanks

1. No.

2. You're new to Judo so my advice is to buy a cheaper Judogi (look up Alan Martin on Google or Facebook and talk to him about Judogi). Basically you won't need an IJF branded suit at your level, don't go to the expense of buying one either in case you drop out of the sport. At beginner level you won't even notice the difference.

Get blue if you wish, but ask your coach if they're ok with that. You won't be put out of a local competition for it. But don't use a BJJ gi.. I hate fighting someone who shows up with a BJJ gi, mostly down to gripping issues. Buy a Judogi.. Btw, white is cheaper than a blue and you'll only be asked to bring a white and blue at very big competitions and never at a grading.

3, as about contact Alan Martin (I've recently changed phones and don't have his number, sorry). Or ask your coach if they sell Judogi, a lot do and will advise you on size, shrinkage & club/comp rules.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I hate fighting someone who shows up with a BJJ gi, mostly down to gripping issues

I can imagine! A bit cheeky, to say the least, to wear a very fitted BJJ gi to a Judo competition...

I can imagine! A bit cheeky, to say the least, to wear a very fitted BJJ gi to a Judo competition...

In a competition I'd call it out very quickly, it should be picked up on my judges anyway.. In bigger comps it won't get through Judogi control.

I should have worded it differently, I hate randori/rolling in a Judo class with someone wearing a BJJ gi. But then you can use it to your advantage with its softer collar and lighter material but they're a whore to try take sleeve grips with and the torso is usually much tighter than a Judo gi which makes them hard to take a grip on the back of the gi.

I'm tall & 100kg so my preferred grip will always be to dominate my partner with a strong sleeve and back grip or Uchimata, Osoto or a hari goshi.

But the lad in the BJJ gi suffers a lot of disadvantages against a Judo gi too, ever try take grips with a competition Judo gi, then to have the Judoka break grips?.. It'll tear your fingers and nails apart :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Have used https://www.judogis.co.uk/ for mine, went with the 550 gm which I would say is a minimum and a good starting point.

White has definitely shrunk more than blue, but I probably bought a little on the small side anyway.

I may be wrong, but for competitive grading it starts at blue belt. If you are just starting out, I wouldn't be spending a fortune on IJF suits.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    Have used https://www.judogis.co.uk/ for mine, went with the 550 gm which I would say is a minimum and a good starting point.

White has definitely shrunk more than blue, but I probably bought a little on the small side anyway.

I may be wrong, but for competitive grading it starts at blue belt. If you are just starting out, I wouldn't be spending a fortune on IJF suits.

National grading's begin at green to blue, ie you fight for blue at a national grading.. Up to green you're graded in your club.

And agreed with the IJA suit, as I said earlier don't bother with the added expense. You really won't notice the difference in any positive way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭creeper1

Well thats assuming a judo ka can break grips. Most grip breaks are considered negative and using two hands to break the grips now get you penalty.

If it is considered bad form to wear a bjj gi to judo competition and randori then how about the reverse - wearing a judo gi to bjj competition or practice?

Never really heard anyone complain about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

creeper1 wrote: »
    Well thats assuming a judo ka can break grips. Most grip breaks are considered negative and using two hands to break the grips now get you penalty.

If it is considered bad form to wear a bjj gi to judo competition and randori then how about the reverse - wearing a judo gi to bjj competition or practice?

Never really heard anyone complain about that.

Most judo players I know wont break grips just for the sake of breaking grips, this is done to set up a throw or a more dominant position to set something up.

My personal opinion is, for randori i'd rather have another body on the mat than kicking someone off for the wrong gi - but if you are competing, you should know the rules and regulations in advance and should wear an appropriate suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭creeper1

Yeah. That is my thought as well. These are minority sports to begin with (especially outside Dublin) and if people can't buy both types of gi then it is no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭larbakium

1. No.

2. You're new to Judo so my advice is to buy a cheaper Judogi (look up Alan Martin on Google or Facebook and talk to him about Judogi). Basically you won't need an IJF branded suit at your level, don't go to the expense of buying one either in case you drop out of the sport. At beginner level you won't even notice the difference.

Get blue if you wish, but ask your coach if they're ok with that. You won't be put out of a local competition for it. But don't use a BJJ gi.. I hate fighting someone who shows up with a BJJ gi, mostly down to gripping issues. Buy a Judogi.. Btw, white is cheaper than a blue and you'll only be asked to bring a white and blue at very big competitions and never at a grading.

3, as about contact Alan Martin (I've recently changed phones and don't have his number, sorry). Or ask your coach if they sell Judogi, a lot do and will advise you on size, shrinkage & club/comp rules.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply. Just now I caught up with the update in this thread.

we can say I am new to Judo. I have done Judo for 4yrs. Then I stopped for 12yrs... Just a yr ago I got back into it. I have my 10yrs old Judogi. Fine Adidas, Judo Line as it was called and I think its either 750 or 900gsm, non IJF (there was no such thing at that time... i think). But the size is just too big for me so I was looking for an alternative. Since I would like to progress in my belts, if I need a IJF than I rather get one.

The thing with the color is that my current adidas is a white, so why not have a blue around...

This might be the wrong way of looking at things... but just wanted to add the extra detail.

larbakium wrote: »
    The thing with the color is that my current adidas is a white, so why not have a blue around...

This might be the wrong way of looking at things... but just wanted to add the extra detail.

It does no harm to have a blue Judogi but just bear in mind that it might cost you at least €10 dearer than the white.

• Advertisement
Advertisement