Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What should I get for Christmas?

• 20-12-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭

Got a bonus in work so looking for a few ideas on what to get next. Budget is around 2000 and happy to go second hand.

Will probably replace a Longines Hydroconquest Chrono in my collection which I'm not wearing too often. I have a few dress watches so looking for something sportier.

In terms of what I like - looking for a Rolex Explorer ii (different price range and not sure if AD waiting lists are even really waiting lists), Omega Speedmaster Reduced, Seamaster Aqua Terra, Grand Seiko.

Have a 6.5" wrist so not looking for anything too big.

What else should I be looking at in that price range?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It would be either Grand Seiko or the Rolex Explorer for me. The Grand Seiko being the far less obvious and usual a choice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I tried a Snowflake on in Weirs before, stunning, though a little large on the wrist for me. I now have a serious want for a Spring Drive GMT with an interesting dial.

Tried on a facelifted Aqua Terra recently, beautiful watch, was very impressed.

Have been a Speedmaster fan for years and own a triple date MK40, great watch, timeless styling and imo excellent build quality for a 21 year old piece.

All great watches you're interested in, the fun part will be trying them on and seeing what suits you. I've been surprised that some watches I like, didn't work for me when I tried them. Similarly, some watches I had no previous interest in, I really liked after trying on. Funnily enough, the black dial Explorer II 16570 being one in particular, definitely want one some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely something Grand Seiko for me, no contest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks all for the replies, I am going to have to increase budget a bit and get a Grand Seiko I think?

On keeping the HydroConquest - I've just never fallen in love with it, partly because it is a quartz, but haven't yet listed it for sale so maybe I'll give it a week or two of wear before I come to a decision. Wear an SKX009 most casual days which I prefer

OmegaGene wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with a Quartz movement, can never understand the hate for them tbh
    Everyone likes different stuff, some watches that people love just don't float other people's boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I totally understand that but to sell a longines h/c purely because it’s quartz seems bizarre to me, I’ve been in the watch malarkey for a good few years now and normally when people have slagged off a quartz movement and I ask why they quote YouTubers (Watch snobs) or main dealers that have given them pure reviews
    I buy a watch purely for how it looks and feels on the wrist personally

Indeed, show me a mechanical chronograph movement that can measure 1/100th of a second, and I'll agree.
    Till then, I'll hang on to my ETA 251.262 powered TAG F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Indeed, show me a mechanical chronograph movement that can measure 1/100th of a second, and I'll agree.
    Till then, I'll hang on to my ETA 251.262 powered TAG F1.

It will take you around 1/5th of a second to react and push the start/stop pusher, so anything more precise than that is pretty pointless.

Anjobe wrote: »
    It will take you around 1/5th of a second to react and push the start/stop pusher, so anything more precise than that is pretty pointless.

I think you are missing the point somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

I think you are missing the point somewhat.

Are you not also missing the point in claiming that a quartz can measure to 1/100 of a second (which it can’t due to various calibration uncertainties which would need to be accounted for) and is better than an automatic because of that?

Horses for courses. Don’t bother with battery run myself other than the odd beater Casio.

893bet wrote: »
    Are you not also missing the point in claiming that a quartz can measure to 1/100 of a second (which it can’t due to various calibration uncertainties which would need to be accounted for) and is better than an automatic because of that?

Horses for courses. Don’t bother with battery run myself other than the odd beater Casio.

I'm not claiming a quartz chrono can measure 1/100th of a second - they can.

And it isn't a better or worse, it is, as you say, horses for courses. The point is that there is no point in dismissing quartz as inferior to mechanical, or vice versa. They do different things.

I like a quartz chrono for what it can do. I also love a mechanical chrono for what it can do. Both deserve their respective places.

I particularly live meca quartz for the best of both worlds, and boo-sucks to anyone who disagrees ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not claiming a quartz chrono can measure 1/100th of a second - they can.

And it isn't a better or worse, it is, as you say, horses for courses. The point is that there is no point in dismissing quartz as inferior to mechanical, or vice versa. They do different things.

I like a quartz chrono for what it can do. I also love a mechanical chrono for what it can do. Both deserve their respective places.

I particularly live meca quartz for the best of both worlds, and boo-sucks to anyone who disagrees ;)

Their resolution for measurement is 1/100 sec.

That’s different to being able to measure to 1/100 sec. The human interaction to start/stop makes it pointless to have that resolution.

An automatic vrs mechanical chrono will not have a less accurate result.

It’s the season to buy watches all year round wether they are €50 ****ters of 50k bling pieces, quartz or auto who cares
    If we all liked the same watches it would be a very boring world

And sometimes what you like makes no sense. I don't see the point of a chrono or most extra features, they're pointless imho. But I like mechanical over quartz. But i like quartz grand seikos for some reason.

893bet wrote: »
    Their resolution for measurement is 1/100 sec.

That’s different to being able to measure to 1/100 sec. The human interaction to start/stop makes it pointless to have that resolution.

An automatic vrs mechanical chrono will not have a less accurate result.

The average human reaction time is 0.25 of a second, the important bit being average.

Some people have been shown to have reactions times of a tenth or less.

By your argument, stopwatches are entirely pointless.

Anyway, we digress. My original point is that quartz versus mechanical is very much horses for courses firstly, and personal preference second.

However, it is easy enough, whenever a zealot emerges for either camp to name a movement or watch to torpedo the argument.

The average human reaction time is 0.25 of a second, the important bit being average.

Some people have been shown to have reactions times of a tenth or less.

By your argument, stopwatches are entirely pointless.

The reaction time will be the same whether it’s automatic or quartz being pressed. Don’t forget it’s a double push starting and stopping the watch. You lose the same accuracy on both ends that would need to be accounted for in calibration accuracy.

A quartz having a resolution down to 2 decimal places (or more) does not make it more accurate than an automatic showing resolution of 0.5 seconds. So a quartz with a resolution of 1/100 sec is no more accurate than an automatic with a resolution of 1/10 sec.

Stop watches serve their purpose depending on what accuracy is required. If you were measuring something that had to be a minimum of 30 seconds then perfect. Let it roll to 31 secs and then press stop. If you were measuring a process that needed to be 30 seconds plus/minus 0.2 second then it would be useless as a measurement tool. You would need some PLC interaction or similar.

Anyway, we digress. My original point is that quartz versus mechanical is very much horses for courses firstly, and personal preference second

Apologies if I misunderstood but I thought your first point was as below. I.e a quartz is better as it can measure (which it can’t as I have attempted to poorly explain, it’s simply had better resolution of measurement ) to 1/100 of a second.
    They were your exact words (show a mechanical that can do 1/100 of a second, until then I will keep my quartz).

I agree it’s a horses for courses entirely. To argue one is more accurate or better than the other is pointless as they are both as useless as each other other than timing an egg.....!
    Till then, I'll hang on to my powered TAG F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

A chrono is totally pointless for me and so is a breitling emergency and a pilots/divers watch as I never use the features but bugger me do I like them :D

How many people use the chrono function? I use it for pasta. I have some expensive pasta timers!

Humans as timers of activities is from a different era.

I would love a Grand Seiko quartz, but would not pay the retail on them. Would love a sbgv009!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Gavin1 wrote: »
    How many people use the chrono function? I use it for pasta. I have some expensive pasta timers

I probably use my at least once a day, just used it while grilling pudding!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Gavin1 wrote: »
    How many people use the chrono function? I use it for pasta. I have some expensive pasta timers!

Humans as timers of activities is from a different era.

I would love a Grand Seiko quartz, but would not pay the retail on them. Would love a sbgv009!

LOL. And I thought I was the only one using my chrono for cooking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been wearing the Longines non-stop since I posted this (I travel every week and only ever take one watch with me) and it has grown on me to be fair. Will probably still offload one watch when I get something new but might not be this.

In the end I didn't get anything for Christmas. On the lookout for an Omega Speedmaster on a good deal, possibly the white dial which seems much rarer.

Gone off the Aqua Terra ever so slightly and Grand Seiko is just a bit out of budget for what I'm looking at right now

Advertisement