Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That shouldn't be a problem. if you already have a ticket on the adult car, they may ask that you return that before they reissue the ticket on the personalised card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nothing transfers between cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 UnGroomed

Hi,

I just have a quick query regarding the Redcow park & ride and using a Leap card.

Twice a week for the next year I will need to park my car at the Redcow and get the Luas into Abbey St. I've done this a handful of times but never on a "daily basis" so I'm wondering if it is worth while getting a Leap Card, will I save any money using it?

The trip schedule: Tuesday/Wednesday Arrive at Redcow @5pm park car, get Luas into Abbey st. & get return Luas at 10pm.

Any info or help is much appreciate. I've had a look at both the Luas and TFI websites and I don't see anything that mentions Park & Ride while using a Leap card.

Cheers!

**Sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this query

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your leap card doesnt pay for the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 UnGroomed

Are you able to pay for parking separately then use the leap card to pay for the Luas?

• Advertisement

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RedLeftHand

Hi, I'm trying to install the Leap Top Up app on my parent's phones (Xiaomi Redmi Note 8) but I've received an error message, "your device is not compatible with this version". Is this something that will be rectified, or is there at least an alternative way to top up via mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I've three dead leap cards how do I get the balance back . Would be about seven euro across all three

Hi, I'm trying to install the Leap Top Up app on my parent's phones (Xiaomi Redmi Note 8) but I've received an error message, "your device is not compatible with this version". Is this something that will be rectified, or is there at least an alternative way to top up via mobile?

Assuming this is an Android phone, you will need to update the version of Android via the phone's own system.

I've three dead leap cards how do I get the balance back . Would be about seven euro across all three
    You shoul be able to get your deposits also. Talk to Leap Card customer service https://about.leapcard.ie/card-replacement-refunds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Your leap card doesnt pay for the parking.

In a Luas Carpark (or train station/bus car park), it's insane that you cant pay for parking with your leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Is there any plans for the iPhone to be able to top up leapcards not that it's NFC capabilities are open to transit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Victor wrote: »
    You shoul be able to get your deposits also. Talk to Leap Card customer service https://about.leapcard.ie/card-replacement-refunds

Thank you victor.

OU812 wrote: »
    Is there any plans for the iPhone to be able to top up leapcards not that it's NFC capabilities are open to transit?

Ultimately, that is the objective. It will be down to Apple opening it to public transport in Ireland, a technical solution and financial agreement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Victor wrote: »
    It will be down to Apple opening it to public transport in Ireland, a technical solution and financial agreement.
    iOS 13, released last September, was a big step forward with this so I'd say it won't be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Joshycat wrote: »
    Hi,

I am useless when it comes to working this stuff out so could some please explain this for me.

I have a student leap card which I spend 20 euro a week on for Dublin Bus. It is capped so I never spend more than 20 euro.

I am starting a new job that does taxsaver. Salary is €25681 before tax per annum. I am single.

(I will be paid monthly if that makes a difference)

Which is better value continuing to use my student leap card at 20 euro a week. Or taxsaver annual Dublin Bus only for €1450?

Thanks

Will you continue to qualify as a student? If not, the weekly cap would rise to €27.50, which changes things.

The ticket would cost you 1044 after the tax saving, so essentially still 20 a week.

As there is no saving, and you won't be working 52 weeks a year, I would stick with using the leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

BeerNut wrote: »
    iOS 13, released last September, was a big step forward with this so I'd say it won't be too long.

Thing is, the NTA might not bother implementing it if they’re going to be changing the way leap works under bus connects in a few years

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

p_haugh wrote: »
    bus connects in a few years
    What a soothing combination of words :) Leap is more than Dublin city buses, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you have an Airlink single or return ticket and cash credit on your Leap card, can you validate on the right and will it dock one of the Airlink journeys or do you have to ask the driver to do it? I don't want the single fare (€7) docked from my credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

coylemj wrote: »
    If you have an Airlink single or return ticket and cash credit on your Leap card, can you validate on the right and will it dock one of the Airlink journeys or do you have to ask the driver to do it? I don't want the single fare (€7) docked from my credit.

I made this mistake before. No you must go to the driver. At the right hand side validator you pay the full single fare. I contacted leapcard about this previously, apparently on the return journey it works on the right hand side. Not that you'll find this instruction anywhere on their website or when purchasing the ticket.

• Advertisement

On Dublin bus, with the right hand validator it should always look for a valid ticket first, then go to credit if no ticket is found. If you have a ticket and incorrectly charged, the driver can annul it, within 10 minutes of the transaction, once you didn't do anything else with the card.

If unsure you can approach a driver and they are able to validate any valid tickets for the journey.

Usually you only need to go to a driver if you want to use credit instead of a ticket. Eg, on a day you are only doing 1 journey, paying for it instead of using a rambler.

bg07 wrote: »
    I made this mistake before. No you must go to the driver. At the right hand side validator you pay the full single fare.
    On Dublin bus, with the right hand validator it should always look for a valid ticket first, then go to credit if no ticket is found.

Thanks for the responses folks. The Leap Card website agrees with Dravokivich....

How does the validator know whether to use the Travel Credit or Ticket on my card?

Validators are programmed to check if your card has a valid ticket for the applicable service first. If there is a valid ticket on the card, it simply validates and no Travel Credit is deducted. If there is no valid ticket for the service, the Validator will use Travel Credit instead.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Thanks for the responses folks. The Leap Card website agrees with Dravokivich....

How does the validator know whether to use the Travel Credit or Ticket on my card?

Validators are programmed to check if your card has a valid ticket for the applicable service first. If there is a valid ticket on the card, it simply validates and no Travel Credit is deducted. If there is no valid ticket for the service, the Validator will use Travel Credit instead.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types

Email I got from Dublin Bus when I complained when I followed the above advice and it didn't work (Leapcard support line only told me to contact Dublin Bus);

Case Reference: XXXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXC

Thank you very much for your email.

When you have a prepaid return ticket on your Leap Card, you need to approach the driver to tell him and hold your Leap Card on the driver's machine to start to use it. Once the ticket is activated you can use the return part by just scanning your Leap Card on the right hand side machine. This was created to prevent unnecessary activations if you have several tickets on your Leap Card.

I am afraid I am not in a position to offer you a refund of your travel credit, as you have used the Ailink Express service and as you said you still have an unused ticket on your Leap Card, which won't expire if you haven't activated it.

I hope you will find my email helpful.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX xxxxxxx
    Commercial Department

This was created to prevent unnecessary activations if you have several tickets on your Leap Card.

I suppose you could have a Rambler and an Airlink on your Leap card. Then I looked at the Rambler 5 day ticket and that looks like a much better option for me because the daily cost is just €6.50 which is less than the Leap daily bus cap of €7 and it would allow me to get a regular Dublin Bus service from my home to connect to the Airlink and get to the airport, all for €6.50

The Rambler ticket won't cover a Go Ahead bus service but for trips to the airport, I'd only be using DB so I'll use this Airlink return ticket but for the next trip, I'll have a 5 day Rambler.

I suppose you could have a Rambler and an Airlink on your Leap card. Then I looked at the Rambler 5 day ticket and that looks like a much better option for me because the daily cost is just €6.50 which is less than the Leap daily bus cap of €7 and it would allow me to get a regular Dublin Bus service from my home to connect to the Airlink and get to the airport, all for €6.50
    Check the rules about Airlink, Ramblers and capping.
    The Rambler ticket won't cover a Go Ahead bus service
    It might.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Rambler ticket won't cover a Go Ahead bus service but for trips to the airport, I'd only be using DB so I'll use this Airlink return ticket but for the next trip, I'll have a 5 day Rambler.

Rambler Tickets cover all Dublin City Bus services, including Go-Ahead (see here)

I'd strongly advise you to rely on the TFI Leap Card website for information on topics such as this, because as such website is independent of operators it has no qualms about mentioning all of the operators where tickets are valid on.

Email I got from Dublin Bus when I complained when I followed the above advice and it didn't work (Leapcard support line only told me to contact Dublin Bus);

Case Reference: XXXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXC

Thank you very much for your email.

When you have a prepaid return ticket on your Leap Card, you need to approach the driver to tell him and hold your Leap Card on the driver's machine to start to use it. Once the ticket is activated you can use the return part by just scanning your Leap Card on the right hand side machine. This was created to prevent unnecessary activations if you have several tickets on your Leap Card.

I am afraid I am not in a position to offer you a refund of your travel credit, as you have used the Ailink Express service and as you said you still have an unused ticket on your Leap Card, which won't expire if you haven't activated it.

I hope you will find my email helpful.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX xxxxxxx
    Commercial Department

That response you received is wrong and unused tickets (or a pro rata of unused increments) on a leap card can be refunded, but it's a pain to pursue. Also, its wrong to say it won't expire. Their products expire after an amount of time, (I don't know what it is). And you won't be able to claim a refund for an expired, unused ticket.

It does, unless there is a special designated route, run as an additional service to the current contract. Fares and tickets needed to be paired for Dublin Bus, exDublin Bus services, so as not to hinder the passenger. They apply to the same fare cap, give the same Leap90 rebates.

Daily fare capping is €7 for bus journeys in one day using a Leap card. Which does not include Airlink. So using my Leap credit, several bus journeys around town would see me capped at €7 but if I then hopped on an Airlink to the airport, it would cost me an additional €7.

Whereas if I bought a five day Rambler ticket for €33, I could do all of those journeys for €6.60 and save €7.40. If you're doing even one short bus journey on the same day as you use the Airlink, it's cheaper to use a day off a Rambler ticket. Otherwise, you'd buy a return Airlink ticket for €12 and each leg will cost you €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

So just looking into the option of a leap card.

If unused does the card expire?
    Or do you lose the credit if unused for a good period of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

So just looking into the option of a leap card.

If unused does the card expire?
    Or do you lose the credit if unused for a good period of time?

Hi extremehalo. No & no, AFAIK. The card has an expiry date but that's a long way off - mine is 2030.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement