Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming Vegan - finding it hard.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

FoodC wrote: »
    I totally agree. :)
    Also what i would suggest it is sprouts especially mung sprouts. Those are rich in vitamins and minerals. And.. You can make really tasty salad :)

Yeah, and alfalfa sprouts, a doddle to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭purplesnack

Tinned. Never had fresh or seen it in my locale. I love it, simply adore it. :eek::eek:

If you don't already know, Uptons original jackfruit is on sale in Holland and Barrett for €0.99 - could be an opportunity to stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I have fallen off the wagon three times since becoming vegan. Kebabs are my downfall, especially after a few scoops. Is there any vegan kebab that will guarentee satisfaction? I will travel. Am I still a vegan even though I have fuxed up? How long should it take before I can sonsider myself a real vegan again?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I have fallen off the wagon three times since becoming vegan. Kebabs are my downfall, especially after a few scoops. Is there any vegan kebab that will guarentee satisfaction? I will travel. Am I still a vegan even though I have fuxed up? How long should it take before I can sonsider myself a real vegan again?

McGuiness on Camden Street does vegan kebabs. Have not had one myself, but their other vegan chipper food is very good, so would recommend the place.

While not exactly a kebab, I find Zaytoon's falafel offerings are also very good for satisfying a post-pub cravings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Try get your hands on Vivera greek kebab meat from Tesco and make your own. It cooks really quickly and in a pitta with salad and sauces I believe its not the worst by comparison to the real thing (I have never eaten a real kebab but make the vivera ones regularly for people!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Thanks for the suggestions There is a big shortfall in vegan food available at night, unless you want various kinds of chips. Seriously think there would be space in the market for a 100% vegan fast food chain of outlets. Tasty vegan fast food that cout be enjoyed by everyone, vegan or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There's nothing more vegan-able than a kebab! Falafel for the win. Apart from the tsaitsiki (?) which is yogurt based I'm guessing. Proper crunchy deep fried falafel is to die for. I make lowfat baked ones cos I'm a martyr dvd they're grand but the proper fatty-crunch ones are a special treat.

Burritos are another. Fast food that is already pretty close to vegan in its natural state.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

fat bloke wrote: »
    Burritos are another. Fast food that is already pretty close to vegan in its natural state.

I find Boojum great, once you say you are vegan they clean down the counters, change gloves etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

buy some books
    learn some recipes
    learn to make things you can freeze or dry

know which chippers cook their chips separate to fish and chicken!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Can you get Vivera shawarma "meat" in Ireland? Should be able to do your own version with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I have just come back from Christmas in Germany and enjoyed one of the tastiest dishes I've ever had; a vegan seitan kebab from a place called Erbil's in Munich. Unbelievable. It can be done.

Before Christmas, I found a recipe for seitan doner meat in the Seitan Appreciation Society on Facebook, which I made and it turned out great. Going to do it again this weekend as I have a craving for some kebabs after Munich.

[url] https://ibb.co/2y2KVKg[/url]
    https://ibb.co/MnFJcYq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Here's a handy guide to portions

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GhWgy5g_8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

These guys are in the Belfry in Stoneybatter once or twice a month: https://www.facebook.com/feashty/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hey Danye. Did you go fully vegan and remain so?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

Hey,

No I didn’t. I’ve become more conscious of my eating though and try to pick plant based food.

Hi Danye. That's unfortunate but at least you're opting for more plant foods.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Children, elderly people, pregnant women and people with compromised immune sysem recommended to avoid eating alfalfa sprouts. Wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

What is the main ingredient of vegan seitan kebab, I think something called vital wheat gluten? Isn't what people try to avoid eating?

• Advertisement
Advertisement