Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Hicks - 20 Year Anniversary of Death

• 26-02-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the death of my favourite comedian, Bill Hicks. Total legend, and timeless stand-up (much of his material is still relevant, more than 20 years later).

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ian-odoherty/want-to-feel-old-bill-hicks-died-20-years-ago-today-30041375.html

Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My favourite too. I came here to post that it was his anniversary so I'm glad others have remembered. :)

I began to devour his material when I was in university. He articulated a lot of my frustrations in way that was hilarious. I love for instance the bit where he blasts manufactured pop like the New Kids on the Block.

As you say a lot of his stuff is scarily relevant.

I remember a few years back when that Basic Instinct sequel came out. I recall someone on Youtube making the point that Hicks rallied against a Bush in the White House, the war in Iraq and the lousy Basic Instinct movie and yet all these things were pertinent nearly two decades later.

He was taken far too soon.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Bill Hicks material assessed by young comedians. This will probably annoy you if you're a Hicks fan but I just thought it was funny mostly. These are very sensitive comedians, some of the shíte they spout is cringeworthy.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/feb/24/young-comics-verdict-standup-legend-bill-hicks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great comedian, but no Jason Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Autecher wrote: »
    Bill Hicks material assessed by young comedians. This will probably annoy you if you're a Hicks fan but I just thought it was funny mostly. These are very sensitive comedians, some of the shíte they spout is cringeworthy.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/feb/24/young-comics-verdict-standup-legend-bill-hicks

Id love to hear them about Sam Kinison.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Autecher wrote: »

In fairness they're the opinions of a group of fringe comedians that I doubt very many people have head of at all. I certainly haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Can we change the thread title, 25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

In fairness they're the opinions of a group of fringe comedians that I doubt very many people have head of at all. I certainly haven't.

I haven't heard of a single one of them.

TBH my issue with Hicks is that he was something of a conspiracy theorist.he seemed to be getting more and more tinfoil hat ish as he went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Alice Scary Catfish

That Guardian article is like a bad parody. Hearing Hicks take them apart would have been good.

What conspiracy theories did he express? I don't remember any.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That Guardian article is like a bad parody. Hearing Hicks take them apart would have been good.

What conspiracy theories did he express? I don't remember any.

JFK and Waco being the two main ones.

Advertisement