Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will 2018/19 US game dates be announced?

• 16-02-2018 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

I Know it's probably premature but...

We'll be in Washinton & NYC late Oct/Early Nov. and the kids would love to attend a live basketball match. When are the NBA fixtures usually announced so we can get planning?

Any thoughts on best place/time to buy tickets from this side of the pond?

Any options outside NBA at that time of year? College games etc.?

Thanks

Comments

To have a chance at getting a game the best option would be November, Sometimes the season will start late October but encases like this year; the season did not start until 1st of November. As the NBA schedule is so busy you will get a game in NYC or Boston while you are there. As NY has 2 teams Brooklyn Nets and New York knicks there will be better chance.

Division 1 college basketball tournaments are played in New York every year "Progressive Legends Classic and NIT Season Tip-Off and 2K Classic Benefitting Wounded Warrior Project" which gives your kids to see 4 top college teams play basketball

StubHub, NBAtickets would be good websites to chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Many thanks.

Any insights on when schedules are generally announced / tickets become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

meep wrote: »
    Many thanks.

Any insights on when schedules are generally announced / tickets become available?

Usually August (they came out on the 14th of August 2017 for this season).

You can get tickets on ticketmaster if you're quick enough - as you have your travel/visting dates you should be ok. If you have to go on seatgeek etc. you'll pay a premium.

Be prepared though, the costs are high for anything approaching decent seats (this is not soccer/rugby/GAA type pricing). And food/drink at venues in the US is very expensive.

Even though bpth franchises are currently pretty crap there's always demand for Knicks and Brooklyn games due to tourists, it being NY etc. And it also depends on who they're playing.....if it's Golden State or whatever team LeBron decides to play for next year for example versus say Sacramento then demand (and pricing) will be very different for each.

Madison Square Garden is nice from a historical point of view but the Barclays Centre is a much newer venue with the facilities to match.

PM me if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Usually August (they came out on the 14th of August 2017 for this season).

You can get tickets on ticketmaster if you're quick enough - as you have your travel/visting dates you should be ok. If you have to go on seatgeek etc. you'll pay a premium.

Be prepared though, the costs are high for anything approaching decent seats (this is not soccer/rugby/GAA type pricing). And food/drink at venues in the US is very expensive.

Not speaking about NY specifically, but....

I've been experiencing the opposite. I've gone to a bunch of NBAs this season and been predominantly using seatgeek. I've been able to find reasonably priced tickets (equivalent to Ticketmaster), even when Ticketmaster has been sold out - except for Warriors & Cavs.

On the second bold part, it depends on the arena. Third tier rows near the front are great seats. Even at the back row of the top section (depending on the arena), the view is very good.

For pre-season I watched games in the second level while the tickets were cheap ($20 as opposed to $100+), and honestly, the view is more or less the same as the front of tier three. You can pick up tickets for as low as $20 depending on who is in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

Was in NYC over the New Year, priced both Nets and Knicks, both Knicks and Nets tickets are easy to come by but there is a big difference in price. Tickets that I got for the Nets were about $35 on Ticketmaster, cheapest tickets for Knicks was $140.

Before I bought the Nets tickets, I came across a 3D view from seat for the barclays center. If you google io media barclays you'll find it. Same applies to ice hockey, Islanders way cheaper than Rangers.

As for the Nets, it's 25 mins from Manhattan on the subway. Food/ Beer is expensive there, draft beers were $12, large cans $16.

• Advertisement

OP back again....

So, it's getting closer and the schedules have been announced. Here are the games that work with my visit to NY. Looking for some more advice....

KNICKS
    Mon Oct 29th vs Brooklyn
    Wed. Oct 31 vs Indiana

NETS
    Sun Oct 28th vs Golden State
    Mon Oct 29 vs Knicks (away)
    Wed Oct 31st vs Detroit

The objective here is for the kids (17 / 14) to experience a basketball match. The 17 year old plays and the 14 year old is a big sports fan. Mum and dad are distantly interested. All of which means, we wouldn't be too pushed on which game we attend, it's more about the experience than anything else.

Having said all that, I assume tickets for the Nets vs Knicks game will be scarce and expensive given the derby nature of the game? But a good atmosphere?

The Sunday Nets game is kind of a non-runner as its 5.00pm on a travel day for us.

Therefore, the Wed. games look like a better option. Which of those would be the pick? We're staying in Manhattan so MSG I guess would be more convenient? But likely more expensive?

Tickets are currently available on Nets website for their wed game ranging from $24 up (would likely look at around $100 tickets for a decent seat??). Tickets for Knicks wed. game not yet officially available, released on 22nd Aug, though there are lots on secondary sites.

I'm thinking of just going with the Wed. Nets game given current ticket availablity. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts that would dissuade me?

All advice appreciated

Unfortunately its not much of a rivarly between Knicks vs Nets. They don't have the same tenacity as rivalries in other sports.

Madison Square Gardens is the Mecca of basketball. Purely because of that opposing players try there best show out and have a game of there career.

On the other hand... Golden State Warriors is a dynasty with future hall of fame basketball players. They're the best team in the league and would be a tough to pass up an opportunity to see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

meep wrote: »
    OP back again....

So, it's getting closer and the schedules have been announced. Here are the games that work with my visit to NY. Looking for some more advice....

KNICKS
    Mon Oct 29th vs Brooklyn
    Wed. Oct 31 vs Indiana

NETS
    Sun Oct 28th vs Golden State
    Mon Oct 29 vs Knicks (away)
    Wed Oct 31st vs Detroit

The objective here is for the kids (17 / 14) to experience a basketball match. The 17 year old plays and the 14 year old is a big sports fan. Mum and dad are distantly interested. All of which means, we wouldn't be too pushed on which game we attend, it's more about the experience than anything else.

Having said all that, I assume tickets for the Nets vs Knicks game will be scarce and expensive given the derby nature of the game? But a good atmosphere?

The Sunday Nets game is kind of a non-runner as its 5.00pm on a travel day for us.

Therefore, the Wed. games look like a better option. Which of those would be the pick? We're staying in Manhattan so MSG I guess would be more convenient? But likely more expensive?

Tickets are currently available on Nets website for their wed game ranging from $24 up (would likely look at around $100 tickets for a decent seat??). Tickets for Knicks wed. game not yet officially available, released on 22nd Aug, though there are lots on secondary sites.

I'm thinking of just going with the Wed. Nets game given current ticket availablity. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts that would dissuade me?

All advice appreciated

It's not even a contest. You have a chance to see GS, take it. 4 Hall of Famers.
    Don't worry about it being the travel day - sleep on the plane, energy and adrenalin will get you through.

Go early (like 90mins before tip off), watch Curry's warm up.

The other options are pretty "meh" tbh. I'd take Oladipo and Indiana but after that it's very mediocre.

As for ticket prices in Barclays, they vary by game (by opposition). That GS game will sell out fast, I'd hope on it quickly if I were you.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice.

We finally went for the Knicks/Nets game in MSG on the Monday evening. Got 4x tickets at $103 each direct from box office as they went on sale today. (Just under $500 with ticketmaster fees etc.) Have them printed out and all the peace of mind that goes with that.

Would have loved to go for the Golden State game on the Sunday as advised but we're travelling from DC by train that day and it would have meant leaving much earlier than planned and having to get to the hotel, drop bags and high-tail it to Brooklyn for a 5.30 game.

I'll report back in Nov. to let you know what everyone thought of it all!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Just as a pointer, and depending where in Manhattan you're staying, the Barclays centre is sometimes easier to get to than MSG. Subway from Grand Central drops you right outside, might be the 6 IIRC. Anyway, enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement