Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stopping Whatsapp Photos from going into your Personal Collection

• 03-01-2020 11:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

Is it possible to stop certain images that are posted on Whatsapp from going into your personal photos? We've a family Whatsapp group, and there's one idiot who keeps posting images of her dog to it and they all get into my photos.

It can be handy other times, so what I want to know is, is it possible to select that individual and have anything they post to be blocked from going into my personal photos?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Turn off media visibility.

But it stops all what's apps photos from every chat going into your gallery. I had to turn it off on the oh phone.

When someone starts spamming a chat with stupid photos I leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Problem is when the app updates it resets this and they start going back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

beauf wrote: »

But it stops all what's apps photos from every chat.

Thank you for this!

Always infuriated me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can turn off automatic downloads, so you can see a blurry image and choose the ones you want to download by clocking them.

For such a popular application its is very basic.

You should be able to filter out certain people. So for example on a club chat filter out everyone other than the admins. Every time the club's post something everyone replies to it, saying thanks. So much noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

To prevent any media from a particular chat going into your gallery. Three-dot menu - group info - media visibility - Show newly downloaded media from this chat in your phone's gallery: No

If you are a group admin you can remove the idiot who keeps posting the dog pics. Or set up a new group without the offending member.

To quickly delete the dog photos from your gallery and your copy of the whatsapp group chat: in group chat, from the three-dot menu click "group media", long-press the first photo of a dog, and then tap all other photos of the furry-faced animal. Press the delete icon. The "delete media in this chat" checkbox should be ticked by default, then click "Delete for me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

If you're on android go to your File Manager app and find the WhatsApp folder. Go into your media folder. Then into each individual folder ie. Images, Videos etc. Create a new file in each one and call it .nomedia
    The full stop is important. This should stop images, videos etc from bring saved in your phones gallery.

antix80 wrote: »
    To prevent any media from a particular chat going into your gallery. Three-dot menu - group info - media visibility - Show newly downloaded media from this chat in your phone's gallery: No

...".

That's a better way than my suggestion. I didn't realise you could do it per chat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

beauf wrote: »

But it stops all what's apps photos from every chat going into your gallery. I had to turn it off on the oh phone.

When someone starts spamming a chat with stupid photos I leave it.
    That's fine as long as I can go in and hand pick which ones I want to download. Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nickyjames

You can stop auto downloading option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement