Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2020, 21:48   #46
Mrsmum

Well Holy God ( as Miley would have said).
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:49   #47
taxAHcruel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t5w10
17-10-2020, 22:02   #48
jmlad2020

Does your colleague have multi coloured rainbow hair and consider themselves a liberal
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 22:08   #49
drogon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlad2020 View Post
Does your colleague have multi coloured rainbow hair and consider themselves a liberal
Nope - He is a middle aged man (in his early 50's)
17-10-2020, 22:10   #50
Nykay

To be quite honest, often people say that certain phrases they use are "just habits" as an excuse for continuing to be rude; or may even think that they're not being rude themselves. For example someone might say that calling someone "boy" is just a habit, but you can be sure that they'll quickly lose that habit for certain people of high status!

But anytime I hear "God bless" I think I can rest assured that it's genuinely "a habit", and that such a person says it to everyone. Therefore I won't take offence.
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 22:10   #51
screamer

Next time finish off with God damn you. As he’s an Atheist he should not be one but offended...... he sounds like a total dickhead TBH. If he’s swearing a lot, then yes report it. Leave it a while though.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 22:11   #52
KaneToad

I'd take your colleague out of the equation altogether and focus on yourself.

Like this guy:

17-10-2020, 22:25   #53
Pauliedragon

Isn't it illegal in Ireland in the workplace to descriminate against religious beliefs? I'm in no way religious but how is this complaint any different to the other 8 on the list of discriminitory behaviour?
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/...ality-act-2010
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 22:25   #54
drogon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nykay View Post
To be quite honest, often people say that certain phrases they use are "just habits" as an excuse for continuing to be rude; or may even think that they're not being rude themselves. For example someone might say that calling someone "boy" is just a habit, but you can be sure that they'll quickly lose that habit for certain people of high status!

But anytime I hear "God bless" I think I can rest assured that it's genuinely "a habit", and that such a person says it to everyone. Therefore I won't take offence.
Yes - I honestly just say it out of habit. It is one of those phrases that just comes out "Alright see ya - God Bless". Not a big religious type either.

But I don't want us getting to be society where you can't say "Happy Christmas" anymore as it could offend someone, but should rather say "Happy Holidays" instead.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 22:28   #55
jmreire

Well if he is offended by you saying "God Bless", the offended registar will go off the chart's if he is ever working with Muslims,,,where every conversation will be liberally peppered with "Ins'h Allah" . And he /she ( Muslims) will be at least as offended by your being offended at the mention of Allah !!! ( if that makes sense? )
17-10-2020, 22:43   #56
Warbeastrior

That guy is just sad.
17-10-2020, 23:01   #57
B.A._Baracus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogon. View Post
Yes - I honestly just say it out of habit. It is one of those phrases that just comes out "Alright see ya - God Bless". Not a big religious type either.

But I don't want us getting to be society where you can't say "Happy Christmas" anymore as it could offend someone, but should rather say "Happy Holidays" instead.
Hey op,
That guy just sounds like a ponce. Be careful what you say around him tho.

My best mate worked with someone like that a while back. Also 50s and just an overall dick. He'd love to get offended over the slightest of things. He would also love the idea of hanging you to a manager etc. Just waiting to twist something. Could be anything.

Claimed to be a former teacher but you could tell he never teached a day on his life. Constantly going on about The book of kells as he thought it made him sound smart and cultured. Ha.
17-10-2020, 23:03   #58
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance
The only takeaway from this is that your colleague is an absolute cretin. Raise it again with management to not give ***** like that any oxygen.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 23:07   #59
jmlad2020

Quote:
Nope - He is a middle aged man (in his early 50's)
Ah one of those. Probably on the spectrum. Just don't say it to him. Treat him as a special case
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 23:37   #60
Kylta

I'm just saying maybe you sound like ned flanders and your voice is wrecking this guys head. So maybe it's nothing to do with god at all.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion