Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2020, 21:22   #31
jam_mac_jam

He has no right to comment on god bless, that's ridiculous. Also its no business of yours if he takes the lords name in vain.

If you have been told not to say it by your manager then stop saying it. It's ridiculous but some times in work you have to ridiculous things.

I am an atheist and I wouldn't even think to be offended by that. Religion is nothing to do with work so I wouldn't bring it in as he is doing.
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:25   #32
peter4918

I don’t believe in God myself but your work colleague seems like an awful clown, if that’s all he has to be complaining about then he has little going on his life!
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:26   #33
nthclare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Well as a non-angry atheist I'd say that that guy sounds like a right knob who needs to cop onto himself. Unfortunately there are people on both sides of the religious divide who give their own sides a bad name through their antics, and this guy is clearly one of them. No sense in you getting into trouble over it OP, so I'd just say that you should make a conscious effort to avoid saying it when he's around and just ignore him as best you can.
If the atheist can say JC I cannot understand why the op can't say God bless..

As you say there's two sides to this story, but there shouldn't be double standards.
17-10-2020, 21:26   #34
Tired Gardener

Short answer, no.

Long answer, No, and I'm an atheist. While not a fan of religion/faith/etc, I am mature enough to understand that to some people it is a very important part of their life, so it isn't right for me to deprive someone of their belief. Saying God Bless is not offensive.

The person complaining is just trying to get attention.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:28   #35
DavyD_83

If this is genuine, and you're in Ireland this is one of the oddest things I've ever read. Your not religious but say "god bless" in work conversations and refer to people taking the lord's name in vain. One or both of those statements is not true I reckon.

If genuine, somebody has said they're offended by your frequent use of a certain phrase; try to reduce/stop your usage. I'm not sure religious or not comes into it.

Last edited by DavyD_83; 17-10-2020 at 21:33.
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:30   #36
McGinniesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogon. View Post
So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance
Your colleague sounds like a person to be avoided at all costs.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:31   #37
Berties_Horse

Quote:
So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance
You nearly had me, and then you let slip.
17-10-2020, 21:32   #38
bigar

There are unfortunately people that are looking for something to be offended by. In the current culture, their view is held in the highest regard as everyone has become over sensitive and try to accommodate the feelings of that person, even if it makes feel you uncomfortable.

I believe your manager is wrong to ask you to change your ways. They should have told the other person to accept you, and others, as they are when there was obviously no malicious intend. Also applies to you, OP, as you will have to accept that someone will take the name of the Lord in vain at times. Taking the name of the Lord in vain has no value to that person anyway.

If you want to be cheeky, you can say that you are offended that although being an atheist he appropriates your Lord when things go wrong. Perhaps he is closeted Christian and that makes him angry?

I am agnostic and when someone wants to bless me I happily accept it. Blessing someone as a Christian is held in high regard so I see it as that someone holding me as such. Good boost for my self-esteem.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:34   #39
McGinniesta

Whenever he does anything even mildly offensive then report him.

Report him for everything you can.

You won't beat him so join him.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:35   #40
mikemac2

Greet him with Dia Duit everytime you meet
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:37   #41
BeerWolf

OP, I'd be offended for you breathing in the same air I breath...
17-10-2020, 21:37   #42
drogon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishphotodesk View Post

If you are offended by the work colleague using the lords name in vain then you risk a tit-for-tat complain versus counter complain situation, and it will appear as vexatious on your behalf given the colleague has already complained.
Just to be clear, I have no issues with that. But was just pointing out the hypocrisy
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:37   #43
Gruffalux

As someone else said Goodbye is God be with you.
Dia dhuit means the same.
People in the country always say things like God willing, or God bless - I think it is sweet.
If the other person is saying oh Jesus Christ! or some other exclamation it is the same in essence though not intended. If people say Oh my God! does he get offended?
I notice a lot if people say Aww bless. It started with my English friends but now loads say it. I usually wonder who do they think is doing the blessing. The fairies? Themselves? Invisible priests? The great void?
Anyway stop saying it to the persnickety gobshyte. Or else say when finishing little chats with him May the Divine Wow bless you with a vast multitude of strong sons and limber fertile daughters.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:41   #44
TuringBot47

Quote:
Great timing. Tell the manager that your man/wan can work the Christmas shifts/be on call etc.
(4) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:47   #45
drogon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuringBot47 View Post
Great timing. Tell the manager that your man/wan can work the Christmas shifts/be on call etc.
To be honest, the manager was smirking when he told me this. He knew it was BS, but just cautioned me to prevent things getting out of hand and causing unnecessary conflict.

There was even cases of him being grumpy when people decorate their desks for Christmas. That being said, he would always turn up for Christmas dinner and drinks!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion