Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2020, 20:52   #1
drogon.

Would you be offended ?

So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 20:55   #3
ruwithme

God help him with ya.
17-10-2020, 20:56   #4
rn

Professionally, I'd do my level best to cut out the habit of saying it.

Personally, your colleague is a donkey. Plain and simple. I'd be doing my utmost to having to avoid working or interacting at work with that person.
17-10-2020, 20:57   #5
job seeker

Why would he be offended becuse you say god bless? That's pretty pathetic! Tell him to not be such a little bitch!
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 20:58   #6
ThewhiteJesus

Lord have mercy on his soul !
There’s always someone like this but I guess you’ll have to stop
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 20:59   #7
Quantum Erasure

God be with ye
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 20:59   #8
Hercule Poirot

I'd refrain from using it at work simply because you've been pulled for it once and it's not worth the hassle

Obviously in reality it doesn't matter a sh1te, it's not as if you're saying anything wrong but unfortunately this is the world we live in these days and there are people who take offence for the sake of taking offence
17-10-2020, 21:01   #9
Quantum Erasure

Gadzooks!
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:02   #10
nthclare

Mod-

Do not rant about other forums here.

Last edited by Ted_YNWA; 17-10-2020 at 21:14.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:02   #11
Irishphotodesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogon. View Post
So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance
Work is no place for religion, unless you are a member of clergy.

If you are offended by the work colleague using the lords name in vain then you risk a tit-for-tat complain versus counter complain situation, and it will appear as vexatious on your behalf given the colleague has already complained.

If you apologise every time you “offend” this person, it will show you are conscious and making an effort, if you complain it will be viewed as petty, especially if you aren’t overly religious.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:03   #12
Ubbquittious

Lord save us and guard us. What is the world coming to at all? I hear this saying all the time but never used it. Now I might start using it

Happy Christmas everyone
17-10-2020, 21:03   #13
JayZeus

People who say god bless to anyone in a work context are usually the least intellectually gifted colleagues one might have to work with. Unless you’re a nun or a priest I suppose.

As for taking the name of a famous carpenter, born to a liar of a mother and a cuckold of a stepfather, or of his sky daddy or whatever....

Well, let’s just say I don’t taketh his name in vain. Wouldn’t care to offend etc.
(3) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:04   #14
eviltwin

I’m a non believer and I wouldn’t be offended. It’s just a phrase and i use it myself through force of habit.
17-10-2020, 21:04   #15
crosstownk

Send a message via Skype™ to crosstownk
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogon. View Post

Tell your manager that as a Christian (or whatever) you're offended by your colleague cursing in that manner.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion