Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fungie the dolphin is missing - Or is he?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It was an ad for DINGLE BOAT TOURS all along.

Cute Kerry hoors, make up an obituary and stick an ad into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah jaysus. As if 2020 couldn't get any worse

https://www.facebook.com/12FungieForever12/

"15th October 2020... SADNESS.... We all have been knowing that one day the day would come that Fungie would not show up in his beloved bay.... For the past two days Rudi and I have been searching for Fungie everywhere. There is absolutely no sign of him. Today I raised the alarm and I deepfull have to thank Mary and Mick O'Neill from DINGLE BOAT TOURS who were so kind to take us on an very long search along the coastline and search in places we could not reach with our own small boat because of the waves.. Meanwhile two other boats started a long search as well. We cannot give you any more information than what we know.. Fungie is missing... The bay has been very quite this week... and on Monday morning we spent a wonderful couple of hours with Fungie in the tranquility of the bay.. I never expected that the film I made of Fungie that morning.. could be the last film I shot of him. We all keep hoping for a miracle.... but the bay feels really empty without him. As you will understand.. we are very upset for it looks like we have lost our best friend.. Fungie was part of our life for 29 years.. But Fungie was part of a lot of peoples lives. He was and is and will always be loved all over the world. Rudi and I feel priviledged that we were able to share so much of Fungie with friends who love him.... with people who wanted to meet him.. with people who seeked comfort by him... Fungie is special to so many people in so many ways. For Rudi and me he will always be a part of our life for the place he has in our heart is there FOREVER. We will continue the search for him... and we keep hoping.. As you can understand we are very upset at the moment and will not get into any speculations... or questions... nor do we appreciate any disrespectful remarks. We have shared our life with Fungie with you because we knew he would always put a smile on someones face... I am sure that this will come as a shock to many people... We cannot tell you for sure if he is alive or dead.. It is just as simple as that. If Fungie crossed the dolphinrainbow bridge... than he will leave a big empty space behind him for many.. Dingle will never be the same.. but keep Fungie alive in your hearts.. and he will live forever..."

Did he contract coronavirus?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Edgware wrote: »
    They're busy in Kilgarvan pumping up a replacement

Fungie healey Rae has a nice ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Actually, I think the lack of boat tours for the last 8 months+ probably caused him to look for others to socialize with. He was getting 'something' out of the boat tours - he's not fed from boats. He's very sociable, swimming up to the boats and investigating.

He's an enormous dolphin, so if the fisherman says he recognized him, I believe it, Fungi would stand out in a crowd. The bay gets runs of young salmon and whatnot, and Fungi just hangs out and eats them. But, Dolphins are social, he was missing his daily visitors so he went out and found some new friends.

I think there's more of risk he doesn't return, if he's enjoying himself with his new pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

All joking aside, never got the obsession with dolphins ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"If you think I'm bad, wait till you see what's coming after me"

Fungie, September 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah jaysus. As if 2020 couldn't get any worse

https://www.facebook.com/12FungieForever12/

"15th October 2020... SADNESS.... We all have been knowing that one day the day would come that Fungie would not show up in his beloved bay.... For the past two days Rudi and I have been searching for Fungie everywhere. There is absolutely no sign of him. Today I raised the alarm and I deepfull have to thank Mary and Mick O'Neill from DINGLE BOAT TOURS who were so kind to take us on an very long search along the coastline and search in places we could not reach with our own small boat because of the waves.. Meanwhile two other boats started a long search as well. We cannot give you any more information than what we know.. Fungie is missing... The bay has been very quite this week... and on Monday morning we spent a wonderful couple of hours with Fungie in the tranquility of the bay.. I never expected that the film I made of Fungie that morning.. could be the last film I shot of him. We all keep hoping for a miracle.... but the bay feels really empty without him. As you will understand.. we are very upset for it looks like we have lost our best friend.. Fungie was part of our life for 29 years.. But Fungie was part of a lot of peoples lives. He was and is and will always be loved all over the world. Rudi and I feel priviledged that we were able to share so much of Fungie with friends who love him.... with people who wanted to meet him.. with people who seeked comfort by him... Fungie is special to so many people in so many ways. For Rudi and me he will always be a part of our life for the place he has in our heart is there FOREVER. We will continue the search for him... and we keep hoping.. As you can understand we are very upset at the moment and will not get into any speculations... or questions... nor do we appreciate any disrespectful remarks. We have shared our life with Fungie with you because we knew he would always put a smile on someones face... I am sure that this will come as a shock to many people... We cannot tell you for sure if he is alive or dead.. It is just as simple as that. If Fungie crossed the dolphinrainbow bridge... than he will leave a big empty space behind him for many.. Dingle will never be the same.. but keep Fungie alive in your hearts.. and he will live forever..."

You're suspiciously certain he is dead after such a short period of time.

I take it you hit him with your boat.

Lucky for you there are reports he has been spotted outside the bay. You'd better hope he comes back in or the people of Dingle will hang you from the top of Eask Tower by your balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

s1ippy wrote: »

More like, the skipper circled the same spot twenty times and annoyed the dolphin enough with his engine noise,that he came to the surface to see what the commotion was all about.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Hopefully all the "devastated" are feeling better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"If you think I'm bad, wait till you see what's coming after me"

Fungie, September 2020

Cthulhu, the Dingle Kraken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

KaneToad wrote: »
    All joking aside, never got the obsession with dolphins ...

To be fair that dolphin probably paid for a lot of children's education and created a lot of employment in Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

E mac wrote: »
    To be fair that dolphin probably paid for a lot of children's education and created a lot of employment in Dingle.

a philanthropic and entrepreneurial dolphin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

He was holding out until better contract extension conditions could be agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

WrenBoy wrote: »
    He was holding out until better contract extension conditions could be agreed.

Yeah anybody that knows dolphins and their greedy agents will easily get this. Take that Dusty up in Clare - was even hooring around France and Scotland before coming here. It's all about the fish, and the agent gets 10%. That is what the kids don't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If you're ever wondering how nosey Kerry people are, they even notice when a dolphin isn't seen for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Spent a summer in Dingle nearly 30 years ago, dived with him a couple of times.

Some marine biologists I spoke in the pub a couple of evenings, reckoned he was then already passed the average life expectancy of a dolphin in the wild. 40 for a dolphin is considered comparable to 100 years for a human.

He wasn't a juvenile when he turned up nearly 40 years ago.

If he is back, he hasn't long left.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Poochie05 wrote: »
    He's not dead, he was taking a break

He was off gathering dingle berries.

Hopefully all the "devastated" are feeling better now.

More distraught people than if a person had gone missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I only see him in pictures, I am not great on the water otherwise I would visit. Happy to know he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RTE just announced he is still M.I.A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept, just watched a report on the evening news, those individuals who partook in this nonsense will look back in time and wonder what we're they at. Two women shouting over the side of a boat, another person whistling in the bizzare notion, the dolphin might appear and perhaps wag its fins. Just awful moronic behavior. The reporter hoped fungi might be self isolating after a pod of dolphins were seen in the harbour recently. If this was our national broadcaster, you'd think it was a complete wind up. Cringe worthy stuff and I'm deeply embarrassed for all who took part in this nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

RTE just announced he is still M.I.A.

Ah FFS, do I have to go and change the thread title again??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I went out to see him once, I thought he was a mechanical robot one :o for Dingle's sake I hope their mascot is found

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus wept, just watched a report on the evening news, those individuals who partook in this nonsense will look back in time and wonder what we're they at. Two women shouting over the side of a boat, another person whistling in the bizzare notion, the dolphin might appear and perhaps wag its fins. Just awful moronic behavior. The reporter hoped fungi might be self isolating after a pod of dolphins were seen in the harbour recently. If this was our national broadcaster, you'd think it was a complete wind up. Cringe worthy stuff and I'm deeply embarrassed for all who took part in this nonsense.

Real life Fr Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

Necro wrote: »
    Ah FFS, do I have to go and change the thread title again??? :pac:

Just put up Fungie - Oh no he isn't, Oh yes he is.....

Closest we'll all get to a Christmas pantomime this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I went out to see him once, I thought he was a mechanical robot one :o for Dingle's sake I hope their mascot is found

Me too. Nearly thirty years ago now! He didn't make much of an appearance but my companion and I had great fun misdirecting the fools who donned wetsuits and jumped in the Atlantic hoping for a chance to swim with him 'He's over there! Awww, you just missed him. Wait, there he is, over there!' Fungie was having none of it. Was a great trip out, though.

I hope he's OK. He must be some age now, even for a dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Real life Fr Ted.

:) and auditions required

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Patser wrote: »
    Just put up Fungie - Oh no he isn't, Oh yes he is.....

Closest we'll all get to a Christmas pantomime this year

I've changed it now anyways, until tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

Necro wrote: »
    I've changed it now anyways, until tomorrow :D

Needs dramatic music - Dum,dum,dumm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yeah my conspiracy theory is he's "missing" as they are having difficulty changing his batteries

Advertisement