Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2020, 15:14   #61
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurenDruid View Post
Yeah, that's some bull**** right there. Only 97 on the streets?! I pass 5 every day just myself, on the short walk between the bus stop and the office.
The five you see may not be homeless at all.
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 15:14   #62
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel Ruiz View Post
You just keep proving how awful you are.
One of the worst posters on boards.
Less of the “personals” there, A.

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with helping fellow humans in need but I was brought up to believe that charity is a cornerstone of our “society”.

It’s fine though, if you don’t want to give any spare change to some poor unfortunate that is your “business”.

I’m sure you don’t give it a second thought as you tuck into a mug of cold beans and considers putting on another “layer” so as to avoid having to turn on the heating.

You do you, A. You do you.
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:22   #63
Rothko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
Less of the “personals” there, A.

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with helping fellow humans in need but I was brought up to believe that charity is a cornerstone of our “society”.

It’s fine though, if you don’t want to give any spare change to some poor unfortunate that is your “business”.
Except, as some posters on here have said, a lot of them aren't in need.
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:28   #64
HildaOgdenx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental Op View Post
I've never seen them get into a chauffer driven Bentley but I've seen beggars dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening.
I have seen that also.
There used to be an organised 'begging shift' near where I was working. They were outside a coffee shop, and were dropped off and picked up daily. Not in a Bentley, but in a van.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:30   #65
Pintman Paddy Losty

People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!

Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.

Yes, they might spend it on heroin, but they're addicts ffs.

Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 15:33   #66
humberklog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augeo View Post
I know a couple who have roofs over their heads but they'd be dealing and stealing etc.
A heroin habit costs over a grand/week to maintain........... there aren't many folk financially grand on heroin and looking after their families.

Unless you are referring to folk on methadone programmes.
All would have been on any number of programmes over the years (some over 30 years) but all have gone back to heroin. Smoking or shooting it. Not every day as they'll truck along with prescribed meds (as in officially prescribed, not dealers). There are levels of addiction, dependency and functionality and how people deal with it.
They don't all end up begging.
09-10-2020, 15:41   #67
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman Paddy Losty View Post
People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!

Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.

Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.
How many are you putting up in your house?
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:57   #68
Rothko

Quote:

You've already made your point. Emmet.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 16:01   #69
The Continental Op

Quote:

You won't be making many millionaire beggars if all you give them is 20c.
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 16:09   #70
KungPao

I think the only real solution is round them all up and grind them down into a nutritious sludge that can be used to feed all the poor neglected cats and dogs around the country.
09-10-2020, 16:09   #71
StereoSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Are they Irish or Roma?
Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/iri...g-from-romania
They are not Irish anyways , I see the same ones between a local chain of grocery stores week in week out around by Rathfarnham and Nutgrove areas of Dublin. Sitting there with blankets over their knees. I know well they are con men and women and not homeless at all. Why don't the staff come out and tell them to leave ? They are inside the grounds of the shopping area off the main road, surely they can be moved on ?
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 16:10   #72
EmmetSpiceland

Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.
09-10-2020, 16:25   #73
The Continental Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.
I can't remember the last time I saw a genuine beggar. In the last few years all I've seen are organised beggars that get picked up and dropped off each day.

Would I know a genuine beggar if I saw one? I don't know but I do know the faces of the guys that I see being dropped off in the morning and picked up again at night.
09-10-2020, 16:28   #74
Trouser Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello 2D Person Below View Post
Sooooooo...we punish genuine people living on the street?

If I give a tenner to a genuine person living on the street (and, much to our great shame, we have no shortage of them) I should be handed an on the spot fine of €100?

Rarely have I read such bollocks.
There are plenty of opportunities to drop a few quid into a charity account online or dd if anyone wants to help genuine charity causes.
Enabling this begging carry on is the real problem. It's your shame they feed on.
09-10-2020, 16:41   #75
TaurenDruid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
The five you see may not be homeless at all.
You're right. They're probably just sleeping in doorways for the fun of it. Great adventure altogether! Ffs...
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion