Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-10-2020, 15:14   #61
corner of hells
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurenDruid View Post
Yeah, that's some bull**** right there. Only 97 on the streets?! I pass 5 every day just myself, on the short walk between the bus stop and the office.
The five you see may not be homeless at all.
corner of hells is offline  
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 15:14   #62
EmmetSpiceland
Registered User
 
EmmetSpiceland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel Ruiz View Post
You just keep proving how awful you are.
One of the worst posters on boards.
Less of the “personals” there, A.

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with helping fellow humans in need but I was brought up to believe that charity is a cornerstone of our “society”.

It’s fine though, if you don’t want to give any spare change to some poor unfortunate that is your “business”.

I’m sure you don’t give it a second thought as you tuck into a mug of cold beans and considers putting on another “layer” so as to avoid having to turn on the heating.

You do you, A. You do you.
EmmetSpiceland is offline  
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:22   #63
Rothko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
Less of the “personals” there, A.

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with helping fellow humans in need but I was brought up to believe that charity is a cornerstone of our “society”.

It’s fine though, if you don’t want to give any spare change to some poor unfortunate that is your “business”.
Except, as some posters on here have said, a lot of them aren't in need.
Rothko is offline  
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:28   #64
HildaOgdenx
Registered User
 
HildaOgdenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental Op View Post
I've never seen them get into a chauffer driven Bentley but I've seen beggars dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening.
I have seen that also.
There used to be an organised 'begging shift' near where I was working. They were outside a coffee shop, and were dropped off and picked up daily. Not in a Bentley, but in a van.
HildaOgdenx is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:30   #65
Pintman Paddy Losty
Registered User
 
Pintman Paddy Losty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,500
People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!


Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.


Yes, they might spend it on heroin, but they're addicts ffs.


Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.
Pintman Paddy Losty is offline  
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 15:33   #66
humberklog
Moderator
 
humberklog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augeo View Post
I know a couple who have roofs over their heads but they'd be dealing and stealing etc.
A heroin habit costs over a grand/week to maintain........... there aren't many folk financially grand on heroin and looking after their families.

Unless you are referring to folk on methadone programmes.
All would have been on any number of programmes over the years (some over 30 years) but all have gone back to heroin. Smoking or shooting it. Not every day as they'll truck along with prescribed meds (as in officially prescribed, not dealers). There are levels of addiction, dependency and functionality and how people deal with it.
They don't all end up begging.
humberklog is offline  
09-10-2020, 15:41   #67
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman Paddy Losty View Post
People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!


Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.


Yes, they might spend it on heroin, but they're addicts ffs.


Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.
How many are you putting up in your house?
whisky_galore is offline  
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 15:57   #68
Rothko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman Paddy Losty View Post
People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!


Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.


Yes, they might spend it on heroin, but they're addicts ffs.


Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.
You've already made your point. Emmet.
Rothko is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 16:01   #69
The Continental Op
Registered User
 
The Continental Op's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman Paddy Losty View Post
People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!


Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.


Yes, they might spend it on heroin, but they're addicts ffs.


Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.
You won't be making many millionaire beggars if all you give them is 20c.
The Continental Op is offline  
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 16:09   #70
KungPao
Registered User
 
KungPao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,271
I think the only real solution is round them all up and grind them down into a nutritious sludge that can be used to feed all the poor neglected cats and dogs around the country.
KungPao is offline  
09-10-2020, 16:09   #71
StereoSound
Registered User
 
StereoSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Are they Irish or Roma?
Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/iri...g-from-romania
They are not Irish anyways , I see the same ones between a local chain of grocery stores week in week out around by Rathfarnham and Nutgrove areas of Dublin. Sitting there with blankets over their knees. I know well they are con men and women and not homeless at all. Why don't the staff come out and tell them to leave ? They are inside the grounds of the shopping area off the main road, surely they can be moved on ?
StereoSound is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 16:10   #72
EmmetSpiceland
Registered User
 
EmmetSpiceland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4,527
Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.
EmmetSpiceland is offline  
09-10-2020, 16:25   #73
The Continental Op
Registered User
 
The Continental Op's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.
I can't remember the last time I saw a genuine beggar. In the last few years all I've seen are organised beggars that get picked up and dropped off each day.

Would I know a genuine beggar if I saw one? I don't know but I do know the faces of the guys that I see being dropped off in the morning and picked up again at night.
The Continental Op is offline  
09-10-2020, 16:28   #74
Trouser Snake
Registered User
 
Trouser Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello 2D Person Below View Post
Sooooooo...we punish genuine people living on the street?

If I give a tenner to a genuine person living on the street (and, much to our great shame, we have no shortage of them) I should be handed an on the spot fine of €100?


Rarely have I read such bollocks.
There are plenty of opportunities to drop a few quid into a charity account online or dd if anyone wants to help genuine charity causes.
Enabling this begging carry on is the real problem. It's your shame they feed on.
Trouser Snake is offline  
09-10-2020, 16:41   #75
TaurenDruid
Registered User
 
TaurenDruid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
The five you see may not be homeless at all.
You're right. They're probably just sleeping in doorways for the fun of it. Great adventure altogether! Ffs...
TaurenDruid is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet