Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2020, 12:27   #31
gerrybbadd

Have you tried a blast of hot, hot piss to the eyeball region?
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 12:30   #32
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LollipopJimmy View Post
Bit unfair to compare beggars with door to door sales people. I have a lot of respect for the sales guys, they go out and work hard to earn a living, a lot of the time for no guarantee of income.
Hawking crap with no guarantees that no-one wants. What is it, the 1950s? You can get most anything in a brick and mortar shop or online with some form of come back if something goes wrong.
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:34   #33
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
I've seen thses around Celbridge and Maynooth getting collected in a €80,000 Range Rover Velar at around 8pm in the evenings.

They are entitled to the dole and HAP they have no need for anything more.

These urban myths about beggars rolling up their piece of cardboard and walking around the corner and getting into a chauffer driven Bentley are laughable. Does anybody who peddles these yarns have any self-respect?
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:35   #34
humberklog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LollipopJimmy View Post
I volunteer with a rough sleeper team and those I see begging during the day when going to or from work I rarely see at night when I'm out with the team.

Those that are short money for dealers are sent to 'work' to get enough for their fix.
Yeah, the day ones in the city are very different than the night ones in the city. Those doing days are more than likely in some type of shelter (or roughing it) and they're generally more chaotic and often cruising the streets shoplifting and tapping.

The ones in the evening I find a lot less chaotic and less dangerous and are mostly out just getting a few quid.

But those out beside where I live (suburbs) tap from morning to evening and aren't dangerous and aren't homeless and receive no less than anyone else on welfare. They just choose to sit outside their local shops and beg. And it's annoying.
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:39   #35
dartboardio

I never, ever give beggars money, I have maybe twice in my life, I've bought a coffee and a bar etc for a few of them before.

Ever since a young girl who I know to see begging around town, came into a shop I worked in a few years ago claiming she was a hairdresser down the road and had lost her purse and she needed money to get home, I dont trust most beggars,

my boss (who was a very kind and generous person) wanted to help her immediately and said come in, sit down, I'm leaving in a half hour and I will bring you to where you need to go.

She refused and said she would prefer to get a taxi back, can he lend her twenty quid and she will drop it back tomorrow since she 'only works up the road'

He gave in, and gave her the money out of his own till, and she was never seen again of course. Still see her begging around town with swollen hands like balloons from what i assume is injecting heroin or something.

She actually came into the shop one day looking for free food after that, I told her where to go, the cheeky bitch.
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 12:40   #36
biko
Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
How does an EU citizen get trafficked to another EU country, makes no sense, they can leave any time and have free movement rights so would have no issue with being here illegally.
Trafficking doesn't mean smuggling into a country without permission of entry.
It is a form of modern slavery.

The Act (What is done)
Recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons

The Means (How it is done)
Threat or use of force, coercion, abduction, fraud, deception, abuse of power or vulnerability, or giving payments or benefits to a person in control of the victim

The Purpose (Why it is done)
For the purpose of exploitation, which includes exploiting the prostitution of others, sexual exploitation, forced labour, slavery or similar practices and the removal of organs.

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human...an_Trafficking
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:41   #37
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterAlan View Post
These urban myths about beggars rolling up their piece of cardboard and walking around the corner and getting into a chauffer driven Bentley are laughable. Does anybody who peddles these yarns have any self-respect?
Maybe not as exaggerated as you put it, but begging rings exist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...911%3fmode=amp

If you want to give something, offer food or a tea or coffee. That sorts out genuine cases from spoofers.
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:42   #38
paul71

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Are they Irish or Roma?
Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/iri...g-from-romania
Romania has one of the smaller Roma populations of Europe. The Roma here are more likely to be Czech, Slovak or Hungarian.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:43   #39
The Continental Op

Quote:
I've never seen them get into a chauffer driven Bentley but I've seen beggars dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening.

I've also seen a family group that parked up and then got out and changed from their decent leather jackets for ragged old ones.
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 12:43   #40
Get Real

Quote:
No they're not urban myths. At least with a certain section. Granted, not chauffer driven Bentleys

But do they roll up their cardboard and hop into cars after? Yes.

Do they receive the dole and accommodation? Yes.

I know one family, because I lived in the apartment next door in Tallaght, who own their apartment. Kids going to school, normal life.

Still drove into town and got the cardboard out. Travelled back home every few months.

I'm pro imigration and believe in diversity and inclusiveness for all BTW. I'm not coming in with that angle.

Just making the point that it is entirely possible some are living relatively normal lives, and are not in the gutter.
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2020, 12:45   #41
Augeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
I know more addicts that live ordinary lives, with jobs (even those that don't have a job wouldn't go begging as they're financially grand) and look after their families and keep a roof over their heads.
What are they addicted to?
09-10-2020, 12:45   #42
GarIT

Quote:

I've seen it with my own eyes.
09-10-2020, 12:48   #43
Augeo

Quote:
I'd know most of them around the south part of the city and some of them are funny fookers and sound when they know you.

One guy does have a cracking intro- "sorry gents, any change?"

Mumble, mumble, shuffle "no 'fraid not."

Beggar- ah balls me car insurance is crippling me and it's a pre '08 so the tax on it is mental.

Usually this gets a big laugh and (clever enough) gets him a few bob. This guy doesn't drive, isn't a junkie, has a nice pad in the Iveagh Trust buildings and isn't short for anything. When that joke works I even give a couple of quid.
A few lads have laughed at my response to their request for change which is "sorry bud, you're better off then myself".
09-10-2020, 12:55   #44
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
I can assure you they are making way more money than me at the moment and that's excluding what they make tapping.

They get their dole, HAP, heating allowance and whatever else they're "entitled' to. I get nothing, I've two barely struggling shops with almost nothing coming in and I'm not claiming PUP.

These people are out begging to make more money. That's all it is. They aren't millionaires but they're no harder up financially than than anyone else on welfare.
A real shame that the points for begging went up so high this year, H. You could have made a good career out of it.

Would you think of trying a different “route”? Maybe give up the retail, roll up your sleeves, and take to the streets?
Thanks from:
09-10-2020, 14:05   #45
Eircom_Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by messrs View Post
Was walking down the quays few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, guy stopped me and asked for money, like you I said , sorry I cant help I don't carry cash - he then came right up in my face and told me to walk back to a shop with him and buy him stuff on my card!
headbutt to the noggin will sort that cnut out

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion