Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2020, 18:14   #301
Spanish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by messrs View Post
No not for cocooning. DCC have for the past few years had a number of them apartments taken for homeless but now they have the whole building for them
Why are DCC not obliged to reserve 10% for private rental. Seems to be obligatory the other way around.

A tongue in cheek observation, obviously.
Advertisement
15-10-2020, 19:17   #302
Mules

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
There are people living in tents on the street s,
there are people sleeping on the streets at night with just a sleeping bag .why are they not living in a hotel.
i presume its because they use drugs or else the do not want to live with other people,
hotels for the hotels have rules,
you have to go out at 12 noon, you need to come back before 11.30 pm.
does each homeless person get one room to themselves.
i do not know .
The hostels are full of drugs and drug addicts, are frequently raided and can be violent. That's why many prefer to steer clear of them.
15-10-2020, 21:50   #303
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by messrs View Post
No not for cocooning. DCC have for the past few years had a number of them apartments taken for homeless but now they have the whole building for them
I think Staycity are holiday apartments, when the pandemic presented , I'm nearly certain they were taken up by DCC in conjunction with the HSE to take homeless off the streets.
Thanks from:
15-10-2020, 21:51   #304
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
The hostels are full of drugs and drug addicts, are frequently raided and can be violent. That's why many prefer to steer clear of them.
I work in hostels , frequently raided and violent is an exaggeration.
16-10-2020, 05:38   #305
Mules

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
Not according to a woman I know who has lived in one. Although that one may have been particularly bad.
Advertisement
16-10-2020, 05:40   #306
Mules

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
Not according to a woman I know who has stayed in one. Although that one may have been particularly bad.
16-10-2020, 06:31   #307
patnor1011

Ah well I was of the same opinion. Do not give them nothing do not feel addiction and such. Only till I met and talked with one addict.
Now I give them some small change when I have some as it is much better when they can get enough by begging than going around stealing or offering sexual services.

I prefer to see them in front of a shop rather than trying your back door in the middle of the night.

On a side note it may be worth to discuss decriminalizing and legalizing drug use. That may reduce begging problem significantly.
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 09:10   #308
messrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Why are DCC not obliged to reserve 10% for private rental. Seems to be obligatory the other way around.

A tongue in cheek observation, obviously.
They are mainly short term lets - along the likes of AirBNB - so people coming to Dub would book in just for weekend or few days - self catering apartments but serviced like hotels
17-10-2020, 14:52   #309
B.A._Baracus

I knew someone who worked with the homeless and they said "Fu*k them, can't fu*king help them" - funny isn't it? - but society doesn't wanna hear that tho. People will say ah help the poor homeless and the homeless should have services. Sure some sort themselves out but fact is most don't.

I know someone who was homeless when they were younger (going back to the 60s/70s) and they often said how "people will give you nothing" ...

Sure if I sat down on O'Connell Street bridge for 8 hours and if everyone gave me 5c who past by, I'd be taking it in. But that doesn't happen because most don't give. Fair enough. But you see threads like this where people go on about how they give, blah blah blah lies. Sure some people genuinely give but MORE people like to lie and say they give. An undying need to come off as "a good person" in the eyes of others.

/Rant
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 16:19   #310
Covieland

If you give homeless people money you are either helping them buy alcohol, drugs or funding organised crime,

I know I know hopefully it's only alcohol
17-10-2020, 16:58   #311
Niner leprauchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnor1011 View Post
On a side note it may be worth to discuss decriminalizing and legalizing drug use. That may reduce begging problem significantly.
There is zero logic in that.

How has legalising anything reduced its demand?
If you dont reduce the demand, how will it reduce the price?
if you dont reduce its price, how will you reduce the need to beg?

Last edited by Niner leprauchan; 17-10-2020 at 18:19.
17-10-2020, 23:21   #312
riclad

How do legal drugs stop people begging, junkies register, they go to a clinic and get free drugs.
Begging is not organised,
It's random homeless people looking for money , is it money to buy drugs or beer or cigarettes, I do not know.
In America where drugs are to some extent legal there's still people begging
Eg there are shops that sell marijuana
Also illegal drugs may be cheaper
Drug dealers do not charge 20 per cent vat
Drug dealers do not have to pay insurance or rates or taxes
18-10-2020, 11:23   #313
Niner leprauchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
junkies register, they go to a clinic and get free drugs.
Thats the second time you have said that and it remains absolutely untrue. Where are you getting that from?
18-10-2020, 12:09   #314
StereoSound

No excuse to be homeless in Ireland, you can get a HAP payment almost immediately after you get your name on the housing list. Not sure how genuine homeless people come about being homeless in the first place ? Social welfare has an emergency payment while your waiting on a decision from them to grant you... If you have no means they will give it to you.

These groups of non nationals begging are organised groups with a ring leader. Sick looking at them rotating their 'door' duty at the same few shops around my area. They surely have their HAP and social welfare payments.

There was one Irish guy that I would see sitting around a small shop in Rathfarnham, well spoken chap and he seemed genuine. I occasionally dropped a euro or 2 into his cup. 3 years later and he is still sitting there so I assume now he is a waster and got use to begging so I never go near him anymore. Saw him the other day dancing outside the shop with headphones with his cup in hand... He seemed pissed or on something..
Thanks from:
18-10-2020, 12:15   #315
Niner leprauchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSound View Post
They surely have their HAP and social welfare payments.
If you read the thread you would see this has been addressed multiple times. To get access to social welfare you need a PPS number, to get a PPS number you need to show you are genuinely able to care for yourself for the duration of your stay in Ireland*

*This is in fact an EU directive that is enforced in all EU states. Try and claim welfare in spain, France or Germany and see what happens as well. The Brexit nonsense needs to be let go with Brexit.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion