Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2020, 11:20   #1
StereoSound

Beggars sitting outside shops

Can anything be done about them to move them on ? Don't see store managers giving a sht about them asking their customers for money...would the cops move them on or they even bother to approach them ?
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 11:35   #2
humberklog

Pain in the hole and it's getting way worse.

I live on the Northside of Dublin and in my area they're outside every Spar and petrol station and a lot of shopping centres every day. And before anyone calls them "Homeless" they're not. There's 8 regular beggars in my area outside shops and all of them live in the modern apartment complexes beside me.

Whatever about those on the public pavement outside Spars (with Gardai almost having to step over them to get into the shop) how come they're not ran off petrol station forecourts and shopping centre entrances?

I've chatted to the housing association that house these beggars and they say whilst their case workers are disappointed in their behaviour there's nothing they can do about it.

The people I get most annoyed with is the people that regularly give money to them (and don't kid yourself- they don't want food or coffee). They are actively maintaining the problem.
(85) thanks from:
2smiggy, Andrew00, Atlantic Dawn, Augeo, BalboBiggins, Beaverpunisher, blingrhino, cal naughton, Captain Havoc, Cee-Jay-Cee, champchamp, CucaFace, Damien360, Demonique, Dental Floss, Deub, Doff, dotsman, drake70, Dtp1979, Dub Ste, DUBLINBUSGUY, El Gato De Negocios, Filmer Paradise, Flex, fritzelly, Fr_Dougal, fullstop, Garzard, Goodigal, Happy4all, happyoutscan, Hector Savage, HiGlo, HildaOgdenx, ikeano29, Immortal Starlight, irishproduce, jim salter, jmlad2020, josephsoap, JustAThought, Kivaro, kravmaga, liamo77, LimeFruitGum, LukFwd, maebee, Man with broke phone, Melanchthon, mfceiling, Mickiemcfist, moceri, morebarn, musiknonstop, PMC999, PmMeUrDogs, Potential-Monke, purplepanda, Pyr0, quad_red, Rawr, readyletsgo, Sand, Sandz066, scuba8, Season 2, Sephiroth_dude, sheepsh4gger, skooterblue2, Springfields, StereoSound, Strumms, SuperS54, tallaghtfornia, tgdaly, thefridge2006, the_syco, Tig98, TiGeR KiNgS, whodafunk, wmpdd3, xieann, yermandan, yosser hughes
09-10-2020, 11:37   #3
Pkiernan

The majority of begging in Dublin is organised crime.
09-10-2020, 11:37   #4
Trigger Happy

It's like door to door sales people...if people would stop giving them money they would stop.
Charities are far from perfect but a hell of a lot better than giving your money to a beggar on the street.
09-10-2020, 11:43   #5
biko
Arbiter

Are they Irish or Roma?
Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/iri...g-from-romania
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 11:44   #6
EmmetSpiceland

I’d always throw them a couple of quid, if I have it. If not a simple ‘sorry, I’ve no change’ will suffice.

These people are on one of the lowest “rungs” of society. Firing a few coins their way is the least I can do.

Can’t win with the misers on here. Don’t give tok “organised” charities because they waste it on wages, don’t give to beggars because they make you feel bad or they’re secretly millionaires.
09-10-2020, 11:47   #7
stefanovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
I’d always throw them a couple of quid, if I have it. If not a simple ‘sorry, I’ve no change’ will suffice.

These people are on one of the lowest “rungs” of society. Firing a few coins their way is the least I can do.

Can’t win with the misers on here. Don’t give tok “organised” charities because they waste it on wages, don’t give to beggars because they make you feel bad or they’re secretly millionaires.
They are not homeless by the sounds of it. I think the coins tossed are likely to be converted to heroin.
(67) thanks from:
2smiggy, Agent Coulson, agoodpunt, ahnowbrowncow, BalboBiggins, Beaverpunisher, Beltby, Berties_Horse, cal naughton, Church on Tuesday, CucaFace, Demonique, Deub, DUBLINBUSGUY, El Gato De Negocios, El Sueño, Filmer Paradise, Flex, fritzelly, frozenfrozen, GarIT, Garzard, Gervais08, Get Real, GingerLily, Gladcon, gmisk, Goodigal, happyoutscan, Hector Savage, HiGlo, howsshenow, ikeano29, Immortal Starlight, irishproduce, JayZeus, jim salter, jmlad2020, josephsoap, Kivaro, Lollipops23, Low Energy Eng, Melanchthon, mieletech, morebarn, Mules, musiknonstop, paw patrol, Potential-Monke, razorblunt, RollieFingers, Rothko, Sand, Sandz066, Season 2, skooterblue2, Sorry about that, SuperS54, tallaghtfornia, tgdaly, thefridge2006, TiGeR KiNgS, ToddDameron, whodafunk, yaknowski, yosser hughes, Zebra3
09-10-2020, 11:48   #8
Atlantic Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Are they Irish or Roma?
How does an EU citizen get trafficked to another EU country, makes no sense, they can leave any time and have free movement rights so would have no issue with being here illegally.
09-10-2020, 11:48   #9
Eircom_Sucks

Quote:

you sir are the cause of these parasites , if nobody gave them anything they wouldn't be there
(125) thanks from:
1800_Ladladlad, 20silkcut, 2smiggy, 2_fri, aaronc182, Agent Coulson, agoodpunt, ahnowbrowncow, Akesh, Andrew00, ArtyC, at1withmyself, BalboBiggins, Beaverpunisher, Berties_Horse, blackbox, Boar Hunter, bookerlover, Bradt Pitt, cal naughton, champchamp, cichlid child, colm_mcm, Covieland, CucaFace, danslevent, davo2001, deisemum, Demonique, Deub, Doff, dotsman, drake70, Dtp1979, Dub Ste, DUBLINBUSGUY, El Gato De Negocios, El Sueño, Filmer Paradise, Flex, fonecrusher1, fritzelly, frozenfrozen, GarIT, Garzard, GetWithIt, Gladcon, happyoutscan, Hector Savage, Heraldoffreeent, highdef, HiGlo, HildaOgdenx, How Soon Is Now, howsshenow, humberklog, ikeano29, Immortal Starlight, Imnewhere09, JayZeus, JDxtra, jim salter, jmlad2020, jobeenfitz, josephsoap, KevRossi, Kivaro, Koloman, kravmaga, KungPao, Low Energy Eng, LukFwd, Macu17ab, maebee, Man with broke phone, markfinn, Meeoow, mieletech, mikeecho, mikemac2, morebarn, Mrs OBumble, MudHutInaRut, musiknonstop, Negative_G, Nigzcurran, Padre_Pio, patsfan1286, paul_booth_fan, paw patrol, PmMeUrDogs, Posy, Potential-Monke, Pyr0, Quantum Erasure, Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare, Rawr, RentDayBlues, Rezident, RollieFingers, Rothko, Sand, scotchy, Season 2, Sephiroth_dude, skooterblue2, smellyoldboot, Squeeonline, SuperS54, tallaghtfornia, Taltos, terryduff12, tgdaly, The Continental Op, thefridge2006, TiGeR KiNgS, Time, Tipsy McSwagger, ToddDameron, Vic_08, weldoninhio, wmpdd3, yermandan, yosser hughes, Yyhhuuu
Advertisement
09-10-2020, 11:49   #10
stefanovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
How does an EU citizen get trafficked to another EU country, makes no sense, they can leave any time and have free movement rights so would have no issue with being here illegally.
The roma beggars around here appear to have minders. I've seen cars pull up to collect their "earnings".

Likely its the head of the family.
09-10-2020, 11:51   #11
humberklog

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Are they Irish or Roma?
In my area D.13 they're all Irish. A couple of families, not Travellers. Mother and two twenty-something daughters being the most hardcore- all weather- all hours- 7 days a week commitment to the coffee cup.
You get Romas tapping at traffic junctions around here occasionally.
09-10-2020, 11:54   #12
DD1518

There's some genuine cases of people being down and out and I have no issue with helping them by buying a meal and toiletries etc. I recently met a 22yo girl in a sleeping bag on Westmoreland street obviously had drug issues but wasn't begging just sat in a sombre state so I went over and offered to buy her a meal and got a few bits like tampons toothbrush deodorant she couldn't be more appreciative and sat telling me all her life story which was truly very tragic it's heartbreaking what some people have to endure in life. What annoys me is the organised Roma families who are moved from place to place and then collected in the evenings in high end cars I seen one particular elderly lady in 6 or 7 different spots over the years and most recently in Malahide she sure gets about for someone who's supposed to be homeless. There can be a lot of ungrateful people on the streets also and have been told many a time to stick my offer of food and just give them money no way am I supporting an addiction.
09-10-2020, 11:54   #13
stefanovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
In my area D.13 they're all Irish. A couple of families, not Travellers. Mother and two twenty-something daughters being the most hardcore- all weather- all hours- 7 days a week commitment to the coffee cup.
You get Romas tapping at traffic junctions around here occasionally.
Imagine being addicted to heroin with your two kids also addicted. How could that happen?
09-10-2020, 11:57   #14
humberklog

Quote:

I can assure you they are making way more money than me at the moment and that's excluding what they make tapping.

They get their dole, HAP, heating allowance and whatever else they're "entitled' to. I get nothing, I've two barely struggling shops with almost nothing coming in and I'm not claiming PUP.

These people are out begging to make more money. That's all it is. They aren't millionaires but they're no harder up financially than than anyone else on welfare.
09-10-2020, 11:59   #15
Atlantic Dawn

Is the solution to this €100 on the spot fines for anyone giving them money? Handle it similar to prostitution.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion