Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-09-2020, 04:10   #61
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by donegal_man View Post
I don't get the hate for men's hairstyles. Looking at photos of myself as a boy I have to say I think the cuts I had then and evev my '80s mullet look better than the Kim Jong Un meets original Blackadder style sported by many young men today
Partings were very popular, find your parting and comb your hair, splash on the Old Spice or Brute, put on the medallion, fags in denim jacket, and off you go to the Disco to show your funky moves to the ladies

Showaddywaddy...
Advertisement
28-09-2020, 04:22   #62
Kaybaykwah

A cute female bottom in tight white pants under blacklight.
28-09-2020, 04:25   #63
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
I do remember Vesta curries, but was too young to eat them, the DA loved them, so exotic lol.

Mam was delighted, all in one pack, as far as I remember they were boiled or something. No mickeywaves around then.

Vesta curries were a godsend for a tired mother. I liked them. They weren't that spicy but I used to douse mine in a layer of Saxa pepper until it looked like a sand dune just so I could experience being an exotic Indian eating this great dish. And I wouldn't drink any milk or water either. Just let my eardums throb. This was how it was done in far away Asia.

28-09-2020, 04:35   #64
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonicat View Post
I loved vesta currys! Boiled - the rice was in a bag and the 'meat' sauce was in a type of tin container. Used to have them in the 80s.

Jayzuz...getting hungry now.

Another fine invention for the tired mother was the steak and kidney pie. When one of those was put in front of me on a bed of peas I knew that the world was a good place. It was a dinner straight out of The Beano. Stab the pie a few times on top to release some heat but also hack open the soft tender pastry underbelly of the pie and allow the pie gravy to cement several peas together like a kind of meaty frog-spawn so you could shovel it into your gob.

Ambrosia.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2020, 04:54   #65
ShatterAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
Apart from the exoticism of Vesta curries, food was generally very bland, poor quality, repetitive. Meat was of poor quality, the butchers kept aside any de ent cuts for hotels and catering, and some of them displayed quite an attitude if your mother complained and said she wanted a better cut next time, there'd usually be some cheeky remark like "you're lucky to have meat missus, and it's all good". It would have cost an absolute fortune, and the only affordable stuff was poor quality mince.

Eating out was mostly done in hotel dining rooms or "grills" where fried plaice, the classic mixed grill, etc, with chips, would be usual fare. Dessert was usually apple pie or in late 70s Black Forest Gateau. Prawn cocktail, melon or half a grapefruit with cherry on top, were usual starters. If you were seriously splashing out for an occasion smoked salmon was the no. 1 choice. Standalone restaurants were relatively few and far between, but you did gave the odd relatively affordable place like the Berni Inn where you could push the boat out and order steak, and even Irish/Calypso etc coffee for afters!

I remember, after starting work, bringing my mother on an annual 3 night winter break to somewhere like Edinburgh, and I couldn't stretch to the optional full breakfast, as all the money had been spent on air fare and hotel bed. We had to stick to continental. On the other hand the following year I took her to a Berni Inn hotel in Bristol and we got steak for breakfast! There was a wine bar in the hotel of all things, however no en-suite bathrooms in the rooms. En-suites bedrooms in hotels were not that commonplace, and in Ireland you always had to go to a "Grade A" hotel to be guaranteed one.

I don't know. My memories of food in the 70s as a small boy was pretty good. I don't ever recall eating shit meat. Rashers, sausages, eggs, black pudding for the fry were "same as it ever was". A chicken for roasting was the business....probably better then from the butcher than the water pumped, battery farmed crap from the supermarket now. A boiled ham to go with the cabbage was always done better by my granny than by my mother....who is a great cook. Granny just got it right. Smoked cod for the fish pie was excellent. Butcher cut corned beef slices to have in sandwiches on Sunday afternoon after the oul lad finished his round of golf were a lot better than the packaged gear you get now.

The food wasn't repetitive at all. We just didn't have "foreign" foods like stir fries or pasta
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2020, 06:38   #66
tabby aspreme

Also on the domestic front, the infatuation with sets of Cutlery and China, and furniture auctions, especially from a Parish Priests house
Thanks from:
28-09-2020, 07:28   #67
riclad

I think men's hairstyles now are worse than the 80s.
In the 80s everyone watch the same programs at the same time, top of the pops, late late show, match of the day etc now we have 100s of channels.
No point in asking someone what they watched last night. Everyone watches different programs
If you had a job you could buy a house.
Rents were low.
Most people watched itv. Bbc. Rte.
. We did not have a housing crisis.
People listened to pirate radio there was no 2fm radio.
I think ripped jeans look awful.
Lots of young women wear ripped jeans.
People were not obsessed with social media or looking at a phone screen
28-09-2020, 08:25   #68
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby aspreme View Post
Also on the domestic front, the infatuation with sets of Cutlery and China, and furniture auctions, especially from a Parish Priests house
Every house had clutter; glass cases of delph that never got used, cheap ornaments and holiday souvenirs, china dogs and if you were really top of your game, Waterford Crystal.
28-09-2020, 08:47   #69
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterAlan View Post
I don't know. My memories of food in the 70s as a small boy was pretty good. I don't ever recall eating shit meat. Rashers, sausages, eggs, black pudding for the fry were "same as it ever was". A chicken for roasting was the business....probably better then from the butcher than the water pumped, battery farmed crap from the supermarket now. A boiled ham to go with the cabbage was always done better by my granny than by my mother....who is a great cook. Granny just got it right. Smoked cod for the fish pie was excellent. Butcher cut corned beef slices to have in sandwiches on Sunday afternoon after the oul lad finished his round of golf were a lot better than the packaged gear you get now.

The food wasn't repetitive at all. We just didn't have "foreign" foods like stir fries or pasta
It wasn't that great in my house Mother too busy running her hat making business in the house which sometimes went in into the small hours, little time for cooking.

Last edited by Catmaniac; 28-09-2020 at 13:26.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2020, 08:49   #70
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Every house had clutter; glass cases of delph that never got used, cheap ornaments and holiday souvenirs, china dogs and if you were really top of your game, Waterford Crystal.
I still have that

Last edited by Catmaniac; 28-09-2020 at 08:54.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2020, 08:59   #71
Kylta

Quote:

Another fine invention for the tired mother was the steak and kidney pie. When one of those was put in front of me on a bed of peas I knew that the world was a good place. It was a dinner straight out of The Beano. Stab the pie a few times on top to release some heat but also hack open the soft tender pastry underbelly of the pie and allow the pie gravy to cement several peas together like a kind of meaty frog-spawn so you could shovel it into your gob.

Ambrosia.
You forgot the chips, lovely with peas but even nicer beans. God how you farted forever
28-09-2020, 09:09   #72
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
It wasn't that great in my house Mother too busy running her bat making business in the house which sometimes went in into the small hours, little time for cooking.
Offal; kidney and liver and crap cuts that nowadays no-one buys and end up in pet food. But people looked healthier, or were at least thinner than today.

On the other hand, they smoked like troopers or breathed the smoke of others in closed spaces.
Thanks from:
28-09-2020, 09:30   #73
Sardonicat

Quote:
The ladies' hair was sexy I thought. Those swishy styles with the sides curled back like PC Annie Cartwright from Life On Mars....yum!
Flicks! My sister had heated curlers to do hers with every day and as she was leaving the house would say "are my flicks alright.?" God help me if I went near her heated curlers!
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2020, 09:43   #74
ohnonotgmail

Quote:

Ambrosia.
and now you have me thinking about fray bentos.
28-09-2020, 10:42   #75
cj maxx

Looking back at old pictures from the 70’s it not the ones of me I cringe at, it’s the grown balding men with comb overs .
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion