Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hassled in work over toilet breaks?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Are you doing anything extra curricular in the bathroom that you need 20 mins?

No it takes a couple of minutes before I can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

OP had/has covid but was working
    Has a fibre rich diet but needs 20 mins in the toilet each visit
    Troll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

hurikane wrote: »
    Didn’t realise trolls had such fibre rich diets.

Walter mitty thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

NATLOR wrote: »
    OP had/has covid but was working
    Has a fibre rich diet but needs 20 mins in the toilet each visit
    Troll

And the week in McDonald’s.
    Utter sh1te

Anyway this thread is getting off topic, I'm not here to discuss my diet or work ethic (both of which are excellent). I'm simply asking does my employer have any right to challenge me about using the toilet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

What if your employer said they were docking you an hours pay for every 8 hr shift you do?
    Would you be ok with that?

Your employer is paying for you to work, not spend an hour in the toilets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I would say 4g is likely your problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_jammer

This might help

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

duffman13 wrote: »
    They have to make it aware to the employee what the CCTV is used for.

As much as I disagree with the OPs number of toilet breaks, using the CCTV to track toilet movements is outside of the scope of what they should be used for. Any decent HR person wouldn't go anywhere near a disciplinary using CCTV footage like this

I’d say you are probably right, but cctv can also be used to check if employees are stealing, an employee missing from the work floor for 20 mins 3 times per day would no doubt raise suspicions about their behaviour.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Feeling better now thank god
    You do realise you HAVE to self-isolate until it's been at least ten days since you first developed symptoms..??

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’d say you are probably right, but cctv can also be used to check if employees are stealing, an employee missing from the work floor for 20 mins 3 times per day would no doubt raise suspicions about their behaviour.

I might bring this up if they try to progress any further than a written warning, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyway this thread is getting off topic, I'm not here to discuss my diet or work ethic (both of which are excellent). I'm simply asking does my employer have any right to challenge me about using the toilet?
    You're spending 40 to 60 minutes each day in the toilet that's outside your legal break entitlements: wtf do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No I'm not claiming there's cameras in the toilets it's just the security man spends more time watching us than watching the bloody shop. I didn't think it was legal as the signs say the CCTV is to prevent theft.

Someone spending a large percentage of their shift on the pot is theft, they are being paid but not working, employer will likely send you to a doctor of their choosing to be assessed, if you refuse they can sack you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Fair point but we don't tend to store stock in the toilets lol

You're storing plenty of 'stock' in the toilets from the sounds of it.

This thread is obviously a wind up.

Someone spending a large percentage of their shift on the pot is theft, they are being paid but not working, employer will likely send you to a doctor of their choosing to be assessed, if you refuse they can sack you

I will gladly go to the doctor as long as it is paid for and my shift is paid for.

You've no proof cctv had anything to do with this.

It's most likely your colleagues reported you for constantly going missing and not doing your work.

I will gladly go to the doctor as long as it is paid for and my shift is paid for.

Employers don’t have to pay sick leave unless it said so in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

It was already paid for!

Esse85 wrote: »

It's most likely your colleagues reported you for constantly going missing and not doing your work.

It's well known that the CCTV is used to catch staff talking etc. Most of my colleagues know I am a great worker and wouldn't report me for something trivial like that, especially when most of them spend ages chatting in the stockroom instead of packing like they are supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You have to remember that while you are off for an hour someone else has to take up your slack, in the end up nobody will want to work alongside you

Esse85 wrote: »

You would think a manager/supervisor would notice if someone is missing an hour per day.

• Advertisement

Employers don’t have to pay sick leave unless it said so in your contract.

Are you joking? I'm not requesting to see a doctor.

The poster said if they wanted to send me to one I would have to go. I answered that I would have no issue going to a company doctor, provided it was on company time.

It's well known that the CCTV is used to catch staff talking etc. Most of my colleagues know I am a great worker and wouldn't report me for something trivial like that, especially when most of them spend ages chatting in the stockroom instead of packing like they are supposed to.

You are full of sh1t :)

You have to remember that while you are off for an hour someone else has to take up your slack, in the end up nobody will want to work alongside you

I think you are vastly overestimating how seriously retail staff in my job take their job.

This is 95% certainly a troll thread.

If it is genuine at 5% probability, then OP is a Karen.

Case closed.

You would think a manager/supervisor would notice if someone is missing an hour per day.

They don't because they are always off slacking somewhere themselves. The managers are the laziest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Are you joking? I'm not requesting to see a doctor.

The poster said if they wanted to send me to one I would have to go. I answered that I would have no issue going to a company doctor, provided it was on company time.

You don’t seem to be getting that it’s not normal. I worked in a shop for over 20 years 8/9 hour shifts and I only ever had a poo in the staff toilet once in all those years.

Most days I didn’t even need a pee break and if I did it was during my break. If I was your colleague I would be seriously annoyed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Look, you said yourself that it's a busy store. Anyone going missing to the bog for an hour during an 8 hour shift will be noticed, doesn't have to be from cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Feeling better now thank god

Like, you had Covid yesterday and feel better now...wow.. Must be the Irish Variant.

20min toilet breaks are not OK during work. Do you spend that amount of time there at home or in a social setting?

Sadb wrote: »
    You don’t seem to be getting that it’s not normal. I worked in a shop for over 20 years 8/9 hour shifts and I only ever had a poo in the staff toilet once in all those years.

Most days I didn’t even need a pee break and if I did it was during my break. If I was your colleague I would be seriously annoyed too.
    Further proof that OP is a Karen :D

• Advertisement

Sadb wrote: »

Good man I'm sure Dunnes or whoever you worked for were delighted with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement