Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Leave Lost?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Latro

Strumms wrote: »
    You’d want to be a gargantuan of a tosser to ok and implement a procedure like that. That’s absolutely brain dead stupidity. Whatever manager thought that up I wouldn’t let them manage making the tea without supervision...

Seniority can enable certain positive aspects of your employment which I’ve nothing against but to get first dibs on holidays, no. Has to be first come first served.

Any job I’ve had including one state company it was just first come first served.

First come first served sometimes doesn't work either.
    In some places you would find same few people blocking "prime time" for holidays every year.
    That was the case in my workplace. You could never book summer holidays, because it was all booked out in 1st week of Jan or even earlier.

We had to implement seniority list that was rotated every year. 25 employees - 4 people from top are moved to the bottom of the list every year.
    New starters were always listed last and had to work their way up for 2-3 years before summer was available for them.

The system where you have same seniority list every year is very unfair too.
    Imagine having about 25 workers. Only 2 at the time can be on holidays and most people want summer. If you are new starter you are unlikely to get summer slot for maybe 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    You’d want to be a gargantuan of a tosser to ok and implement a procedure like that. That’s absolutely brain dead stupidity. Whatever manager thought that up I wouldn’t let them manage making the tea without supervision...

Seniority can enable certain positive aspects of your employment which I’ve nothing against but to get first dibs on holidays, no. Has to be first come first served.

Any job I’ve had including one state company it was just first come first served.

I'd bet pretty highly that a union was pretty heavily involved in dreaming up a scheme like that.

Advertisement