Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Pens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Finally got to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.

They are not Irish vat registered and will send package by courier (they mentioned UPS but wasn’t sure of this). They don’t sound Brexit ready and sounds like they will as normal charge uk vat.

Therefore any order greater than €22 will attract both Irish vat and the courier admin fee. I’ve heard some couriers only taking cash at the doorstep.

Therefore I cancelled my order. As others have mentioned Cross pens are nowhere near as good these days and just about worth the discounted amount and definitely not after a heap of vat and admin costs added.

Thanks anyway OP

How did you go about cancelling? Email...phone?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Looks like a lot of refused deliveries will be happening so.. that's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of refused deliveries will be happening so.. that's a pity.

Ive a few orders in. 2 under 22 and 1 over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

What happens if you refuse delivery, will they refund - I can't see how they can resell an engraved pen...!

Frigging Brexit boll*x.

Also how is an end user expected to know where they are shipping it from - It was an ie domain if I remember correctly, and prices were in euros?

PS: Just checked and my order total is €23.63!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I received an order from a supplier in the UK today via DHL. Ordered and paid for before New Year..
    Total order value was €186...VAT and customs was €56.86 on top. Paid on the DHL website before delivery.
    So close to 25% charges.
    Guess who won't be buying from the UK anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

positron wrote: »
    Also how is an end user expected to know where they are shipping it from - It was an ie domain if I remember correctly, and prices were in euros?

PS: Just checked and my order total is €23.63!!

I now find myself having to check the Contact Us or About Us section of every website I go to order off to find where their distribution centre is located. :( Today I found out that Book Depository is essentially just Amazon now. Lots of potential for Irish companies to fill vacuums here as it seems we do far do much of our online shopping in the UK.

BTW, Cross send parcels from Bedfordshire to Ireland despite having EU based distribution centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

positron wrote: »
    What happens if you refuse delivery, will they refund - I can't see how they can resell an engraved pen...!

Frigging Brexit boll*x.

I noticed the following from the cross site:

"Note: Engraving services are available for select pens, watches and accessories only. The choice of available engraving styles, number of engraving lines, and maximum number of characters per line varies from product to product. We do not accept returns on any engraved items for refunds or merchandise exchanges. We will accept customized items for repair under our warranty policy as described in the warranty section of the site."

So from the above, it looks like anyone that got engraving on their pens will be out of pocket if they return them.

Mind you I still have not received any dispatch emails for my 2 orders. On one hand, hope they arrive as they are a great bargain. Then again hope they don't as they might attract charges. Just waiting to see how it pans out.

Is there a way to cancel the order before dispatch? I note Mayo_Fan was successful in doing so above...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭lau1247

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Finally got to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.

They are not Irish vat registered and will send package by courier (they mentioned UPS but wasn’t sure of this). They don’t sound Brexit ready and sounds like they will as normal charge uk vat.

Therefore any order greater than €22 will attract both Irish vat and the courier admin fee. I’ve heard some couriers only taking cash at the doorstep.

Therefore I cancelled my order. As others have mentioned Cross pens are nowhere near as good these days and just about worth the discounted amount and definitely not after a heap of vat and admin costs added.

Thanks anyway OP

I have cancelled over the phone but the charge is still 'pending' when I logged into AIB Online Banking.

Is yours the same out of interest or is it gone?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

So what kind of percentage charge will be on this?

Hococop wrote: »
    So what kind of percentage charge will be on this?

Zero customs duty from what I can see.
    But we would be liable for VAT 23% on the full order value and likely a customs processing charge from the courier. Between 10 and 15 at a guess

Now in reality of they are not processing the Irish VAT and have charged UK VAT they should refund that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I had 2 different orders one was €25 and €29 what am i liable to be charged please?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

torrevieja wrote: »
    I had 2 different orders one was €25 and €29 what am i liable to be charged please?

Between 15 and 20 Euro on each, depending on the courier fee.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Zero customs duty from what I can see.
    But we would be liable for VAT 23% on the full order value and likely a customs processing charge from the courier. Between 10 and 15 at a guess

Now in reality of they are not processing the Irish VAT and have charged UK VAT they should refund that part.

I think they should (or I wish they would) refund the uk vat AND the courier handling fee as they hadn't told us that they are operating & shipping from outside of EU.

Think I'll try and cancel my order, mine was about 33, anyone have a number?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

My order was only 11 Euro so i presum i wont get any charges

lau1247 wrote: »
    Call 0044 1582 422793 (press the key for sales I think). Speak to the chap there about that you wan to cancel an order but don't see the option on the website. He'll take care of it on his end.

The number is from the website by the way

https://www.cross.com/cr_en_ie/customer-service

Cheers used that number got through, they said send an email and your order number to cancel, just got my PayPal refund confirmation

One of my orders is €19.18 for two pens... hopefully this will pass through customs without charges...

I cancelled my other orders; thanks for re-posting the number above Hococop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I cancelled one order and left one in the hope that it slips through, if it doesn't I'll just not accept delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just noticed on their ‘shipping & delivery’ page there is the line, ‘We are currently unable to process any engraved orders’. So these orders might not be processed?

Although all other info on the page has not been updated since Christmas period because it still has Christmas dates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

With all the queries and cancellations - they'll probably just end up cancelling all orders destined for the ROI until they sort out their delivery advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

What a sh!tshow!! :mad: My order was about €36, the system is totally fcuked up if I end up paying UK VAT, Irish VAT and a fee to RCB (Robbing Courier B@astards, new generic term for DHL, UPS, et al) for being over a random tiny allowance. I probably won't send it back (engraved so I'd lose out anyway) but fcuk the lot of 'em until they sort this b0llox out.....

(Sorry, I'll go to Ranting & Raving next time!)

blastman wrote: »
    What a sh!tshow!! :mad: My order was about €36, the system is totally fcuked up if I end up paying UK VAT, Irish VAT and a fee to RCB (Robbing Courier B@astards, new generic term for DHL, UPS, et al) for being over a random tiny allowance. I probably won't send it back (engraved so I'd lose out anyway) but fcuk the lot of 'em until they sort this b0llox out.....

(Sorry, I'll go to Ranting & Raving next time!)

Ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

You seem to be the first to received delivery, what were the overall fees?

He hasn't gotten delivery...he's just saying what additional fees he can expect to incur

• Registered Users Posts: 25 apt2view

Hococop wrote: »
    Cheers used that number got through, they said send an email and your order number to cancel, just got my PayPal refund confirmation

What's the email address to send a cancellation to?

apt2view wrote: »
    What's the email address to send a cancellation to?

I just called the english number quoted above pressed two and had it cancelled within 30 seconds and email from PayPal 20 mins after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I called the customer service to enquire about my order for c.100euro, and was told I should not get any additional charges, as I ordered from the ie website. The customer service rep did admit she was not 100% but said that if DHL seek additional charges to refuse it and that it would be returned to them and refunded to me... I'd like to keep the order as its an engraved gift but still a bit concerned I'd be charged extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

muckety wrote: »
    I called the customer service to enquire about my order for c.100euro, and was told I should not get any additional charges, as I ordered from the ie website. The customer service rep did admit she was not 100% but said that if DHL seek additional charges to refuse it and that it would be returned to them and refunded to me... I'd like to keep the order as its an engraved gift but still a bit concerned I'd be charged extra!

I’d take that info with a pinch of salt because there’s no IE website. Just cross.com

• Advertisement

muckety wrote: »

Yeah, I'd be very skeptical tbh
    I've popped them an e-mail to see, I haven't cancelled (3 orders!)
    One large one may well get hit, but two small may make it through.
    But if I get customs charges I'll likely refuse it if it's expensive, although I had a few gifts so I'll wait and see.

Advertisement