Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Ambilight 43PUS8545/12 43-Inch LED TV (4K UHD, P5 Engine, Dolby Vision, Dolby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

FWIW...I bought the 58" from Richer Sounds for the folks for Xmas. Just set it up there and the picture is fantastic even with the regular Virgin TV box. Kinda sorry now I bought a Samsung QLED a few weeks back ( although haven't set it up yet ) and didn't buy an Ambilight instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Wow I would have thought the pic quality of the QLED and OLED would be far superior?

What did you make of the user interface? Some saying it’s a bit sluggish.
    FWIW...I bought the 58" from Richer Sounds for the folks for Xmas. Just set it up there and the picture is fantastic even with the regular Virgin TV box. Kinda sorry now I bought a Samsung QLED a few weeks back ( although haven't set it up yet ) and didn't buy an Ambilight instead.

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Wow I would have thought the pic quality of the QLED and OLED would be far superior?

Different people will have different preferences but the Ambilight for me is now no.1 on the list of what I want. Set things up and you can blow your mind with how dark the black levels are on OLED. But I genuinely am more impressed with the Ambilight.
    If you're someone who's happy to spend massive money on OLED then great for you. Given a choice between the ambilight I paid €430 for and the OLED a friend paid €2,000 I would honestly take the ambilight TV. Even at that I guess part of that will be because I have it in a room where I have it set up to take (almost) full advantage of the ambilight.
    At no point have I been disappointed with the black levels on my TV, I'm sure most people who've never had ambilight have never been disappointed with the lack of it. :)
    EDIT: Will certainly concede the UI isn't excellent. Again though for me I pretty much only switch between HDMI inputs.

Thanks for the info. I was close to pulling the trigger on the 58" Phillips with the Ambilight, but torn between that and the LG OLED CX

Like you, I would only really be switching between inputs so UI isnt an issue (use a firestick mostly). Im mostly interested in the picture quality....

Currently have a very decent Sony Bravia 4K, so not sure if I even should be changing!
    Different people will have different preferences but the Ambilight for me is now no.1 on the list of what I want. Set things up and you can blow your mind with how dark the black levels are on OLED. But I genuinely am more impressed with the Ambilight.
    If you're someone who's happy to spend massive money on OLED then great for you. Given a choice between the ambilight I paid €430 for and the OLED a friend paid €2,000 I would honestly take the ambilight TV. Even at that I guess part of that will be because I have it in a room where I have it set up to take (almost) full advantage of the ambilight.
    At no point have I been disappointed with the black levels on my TV, I'm sure most people who've never had ambilight have never been disappointed with the lack of it. :)
    EDIT: Will certainly concede the UI isn't excellent. Again though for me I pretty much only switch between HDMI inputs.

I haven't taken the Samsung out of the box yet ( room not ready yet ) so can't comment fully. The UI did seem a little clunky flicking through it, not that the folks will ever be using it though. Was genuinely blown away by the picture quality though.

• Advertisement

Great stuff - and did you have to make many adjustments to the picture?

Ive read here (and elsewhere) that theres a fair amount of tinkering needed to get the settings correct

I haven't taken the Samsung out of the box yet ( room not ready yet ) so can't comment fully. The UI did seem a little clunky flicking through it, not that the folks will ever be using it though. Was genuinely blown away by the picture quality though.

Great stuff - and did you have to make many adjustments to the picture?

Ive read here (and elsewhere) that theres a fair amount of tinkering needed to get the settings correct

I didn't touch it at all to be honest and was expecting that I would have to based on comments read. Now I'm by no means an expert but it looked fine to me. I did see some fairly confaluted (sp) setup/tweaks in either the comments section of Hot UK Deals or Amazon when the bargain was first posted there but never copied the link, should be easy enough to find if anyone wanted to do digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks for the info. I was close to pulling the trigger on the 58" Phillips with the Ambilight, but torn between that and the LG OLED CX

Like you, I would only really be switching between inputs so UI isnt an issue (use a firestick mostly). Im mostly interested in the picture quality....

Currently have a very decent Sony Bravia 4K, so not sure if I even should be changing!

In terms of picture quality there is no comparison between the Oled and the Ambilight.

Ones an Oled, the other is an LCD, with an LED backlight , 2 different technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

Ordered the 58" 58PUS9005/12 Currys.ie! Needed 4 side ambi as it'll be wall mounted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Zardoz wrote: »
    In terms of picture quality there is no comparison between the Oled and the Ambilight.

Ones an Oled, the other is an LCD, with an LED backlight , 2 different technologies.

These are low end LCDs too according to avforums
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/

Crazy time to be buying a TV anyway, see what they drop to next week

• Advertisement

Do you see even the high end TVs tumbling down next week?
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Do you see even the high end TVs tumbling down next week?

Usually do. They're overpriced when released, discounted for BF, might go back up, back down for jan. sales. Then later in the year to get cleared out for the new models in the summer.

If you're in no rush hold until xmas/Jan or even until around April may next year.
    Or look for one of last years top TV now if you can find any left

batistuta9 wrote: »

14 day price guarantee negates that worry but thanks anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

What’s the sound like on them?

They don’t seem to do well on reviews!

Want to get the 50 so thinking I’d be mad to buy before BF.

Would others agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are TVs not for sale at Black Friday prices now. I'm looking to get a 50-55 inch Sony Bravia for my Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

kaerobe wrote: »
    I've managed to get some really good UHD/4k content on

Disney+
    BBC iPlayer (very limited UHD)
    Netflix (on top tier sub)
    Youtube.

Not sure where else. Most of the other players dont support 4K/HDR/UHD

Sidenote:

I have my TV set to UK, have cheap Saorview dongle picking up the FTA Irish channels and have a VPN for OnDemand UK players/Freeview play and it works pretty well, with suggestions for box sets/catchup on the home screen. I had to set all settings to UK including when scanning for DVB-T

Cools thanks for the info. I have everything set to UK same as yours but still the uk tv apps don't show. What VPN are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Bought the 43" 8505 in Argos.
    Setup was very good, using your existing google account to link Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney etc.
    I haven't managed to link the ambilight to my Philips Hue yet.
    I've been messing with the picture all evening but I'm not happy with it at all.
    Any large black areas seem pixilated and certain scenes seem almost fuzzy.
    If anyone has any settings that are working for them I'd appreciate it.

Wanted to come back about this and thanks to BionicRasher for the link to the Philips forum.

The picture does take a lot of finessing, but worth it.
    Otherwise the tv works really well.
    Very good sound. Smart features and apps very quick to load and work well.
    The tv isn't wall mounted so we won't get the benefit of it but used as mood lighting is kind of cool and integrates with philips hue bulbs in the room and can be controlled from google home speaker.( This doesn't seem to work when using an ethernet connection but works well when on wifi)
    The remote is well laid out and button position is intuitive. After only using it a day and not searching for buttons.
    The digital tuner picked up all the channels easily and like every other tv I've bought with dual tuners, you can't create a favorites list of Irish and satellite channels. You have to hop between both. However, it's a lot easier to switch between the two tuners than previous tvs I've had.
    So far, so good. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The tv isn't wall mounted so we won't get the benefit of it but used as mood lighting is kind of cool and integrates with philips hue bulbs in the room and can be controlled from google home speaker.( This doesn't seem to work when using an ethernet connection but works well when on wifi)

The digital tuner picked up all the channels easily and like every other tv I've bought with dual tuners, you can't create a favorites list of Irish and satellite channels. You have to hop between both. However, it's a lot easier to switch between the two tuners than previous tvs I've had.

Let us know if you make any progress on controlling the ambilight via google home when connected via ethernet. Seems strange as cable connection would surely be better and what I'd be looking to do.

Have you an aeriel for the terrestrial channels and a disk for the FTA satelite channels of how do you operate that end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

god's toy wrote: »
    Cools thanks for the info. I have everything set to UK same as yours but still the uk tv apps don't show. What VPN are you using?

I’ve been using KeepSolid VPN which has an app which works well for me. Just find the BBC UHD streams a bit slow but that could be our virgin internet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Let us know if you make any progress on controlling the ambilight via google home when connected via ethernet. Seems strange as cable connection would surely be better and what I'd be looking to do.

Have you an aeriel for the terrestrial channels and a disk for the FTA satelite channels of how do you operate that end of it.

To be honest, it's working on wifi, so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

It is aerial and dish for channels. There's a button on the remote that brings up a menu with favourites, antenna and satellite. I have the satellite channels I watch on the favourites list and switch between that and antenna as need be.
    I don't watch a lot of live tv, so that works fine for me.

New problem though.... The tv started switching on by itself last night. No idea why and hadn't time this morning to investigate.
    Any suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Anyone having an issues with ambilight+ hue.
    It worked for a day or two but doesnt detect the bridge anymore.
    Have reset tv and bridge. VERY impressive to have both in sync

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Received my 50 inch 9005 today :D
    8 days turnaround - Currys.co.uk via Parcel Wizard

had a quick peek and looks to be all safe and sound as I was worried about transport. Dont have time to set up yet but will try tonight.

Delivery only cost €3.85 :)

so all in it cost €505.47 for a top spec 50 inch TV - happy days!!

My last TV (42inch Panasonic) cost €779 10 years ago. :eek::eek::eek:

Will let you know my thoughts on it once I get it set up

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

had a quick peek and looks to be all safe and sound as I was worried about transport. Dont have time to set up yet but will try tonight.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Are these still available on Currys.co.uk? Don't see them there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

tadgho wrote: »
    Are these still available on Currys.co.uk? Don't see them there...

Looks like out f stock now

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alligator Wine

That's great. Thought we'd be stung for the oversized home delivery. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow via DPD parcel wizard. It's a relief as I didn't hear anything from Curry's since paying for it. Have had a good few deliveries from DPD lately and finding their service so much better than what I remembered.

Hi all,

So which one is better:
    PUS 9005
    Or
    PUS 8545

Going to pull trigger as they seem great value but unsure which has better specs.

Maybe people could post pros/cons they found with their model.

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi all,

So which one is better:
    PUS 9005
    Or
    PUS 8545

Going to pull trigger as they seem great value but unsure which has better specs.

Maybe people could post pros/cons they found with their model.

Thanx

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/115254341

I broke this down earlier in the thread, and if those sources can be trusted, the short form is that bigger number is better.

cython wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/115254341

I broke this down earlier in the thread, and if those sources can be trusted, the short form is that bigger number is better.

thanks.

I did a compare search on Philips site and the only really discernible difference is that the 9005 has 4 sided Ambilight as opposed to 3 for the 8545.

May wait till BF before I pull the trigger and Richer Sounds may price match with their 6 year warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Still no dispatch from Amazon for the 43" 8545 TV in the OP :confused: This is now 9 days after order and TV is showing as 'In Stock' on Amazon.co.uk. Is this normal wait time for dispatch or is anyone else still waiting for dispatch of TV in the OP? A bit disappointed that it hasn't been at least dispatched at this stage...:mad:

Advertisement