Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HSE redeployment of staff Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

MrsBean wrote: »
    Any chance to get a dig in it seems. Giving out about civil servants on a thread where people are talking about their redeployment during a crisis and offering their services to help. The mind boggles.

Boards should start handing out bans straight away for clowns like that who always want to have a go.
    I'd love to see something done to the complete ****wits who go to the trouble of recording elaborate voicenotes to scare the ****e out of 70 year olds on whatsapp about the army guarding the shops etc etc.

Mind you the people who forward them are nearly worse. Some of them who have forwarded nonsense in the last 24 hours I actually would regard as friends and thought they had some brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

I am a CO in a government department. Friday afternoon HR sent a email saying we may be asked to transfer to other areas if needed. This morning I have been asked to put my name forward as available be assigned for contact tracing if needed.

The work will still be done in my office at my desk. And would be shift work any time between 8am and 10pm.

I am more then happy to do what I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Teachers should be asked to help with administration of social welfare forms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Gael23 wrote: »

I agree, I'm a teacher and would be glad to help once I'm allowed the class time for my third and sixth year classes as I don't want to leave them completely without in terms of teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I agree, I'm a teacher and would be glad to help once I'm allowed the class time for my third and sixth year classes as I don't want to leave them completely without in terms of teaching.

What is the position on exam years? Are they going ahead as things stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Ap2020

I am a CO in a government department. Friday afternoon HR sent a email saying we may be asked to transfer to other areas if needed. This morning I have been asked to put my name forward as available be assigned for contact tracing if needed.

The work will still be done in my office at my desk. And would be shift work any time between 8am and 10pm.

I am more then happy to do what I can.

Fair play.

I've also asked to be reassigned to wherever they need me. I'm told hundreds of civil servants have already been reassigned, many to contract tracing.

If you look at the countries that have had the most success in preventing infections, armies of contact tracers have been essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

What is the position on exam years? Are they going ahead as things stand

Haven't heard anything one way or the other. I mean officially schools are only closed until march 29th, but I think it is fair to say most most people expect extended closure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yup, loads of teachers are ready and willing to go. Over 3000 teachers/childcare workers are on a FB group offering free childcare to front line workers.

I'm a teacher, would happily do some contact tracing or admin work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Coralcoras wrote: »
    A sobering read about pregnancy and coronovirus.

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/coronaviruses/

1st Trimester: Risk of miscarriage (50%) and birth defects.
    2nd and 3rd Trimester: Risk of early labour (approx. 30-40%), stillbirth (approx. 20%) and other complications like poor growth.

This is early days so many of the statistics are based on observations from a relatively small (Covid19-infected) population sample.
    Other stats are based on stronger relationships observed during similars viral outbreaks in the past, I.e. SARS and MERS.

My sisters, both of whom work in a face-to-face role with the HSE and are pregnant, are in complete limbo regarding current/expected working conditions.

There’s a lot of mention in the media about the vulnerability of elderly and immunocompromised citizens, but I’ve heard no mention made of the unborn child. I hope this gets discussed more and want to draw attention to the issue.
    Mod:
    If you're going to make a claim as a fact you better back it up instead of quoting made up numbers from Facebook; your link does not back up any claim you make. From the link you've provided:
    Does having COVID-19 during pregnancy increase the chance for miscarriage?

Miscarriage can occur in any pregnancy. Studies have not been done to see if having COVID-19 during pregnancy could increase the chance of miscarriage.

Does having COVID-19 in the first trimester increase the chance of birth defects?

In every pregnancy, a woman starts out with a 3-5% chance of having a baby with a birth defect. This is called her background risk. There are no published studies on COVID-19 in pregnancy and birth defects.

A high fever in the first trimester can increase the chance of certain birth defects (see MotherToBaby’s fact sheet: https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/hyperthermia-pregnancy/). If you get sick with COVID-19 or any other illness and develop a high fever, please speak with your healthcare provider as soon as possible to discuss the best way to lower it.

Does having COVID-19 in the second or third trimester cause other pregnancy complications?

There is limited information about COVID-19 and pregnancy. Experience with other respiratory illnesses such as flu and SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) suggests that pregnant women may be at higher risk of complications if they have a respiratory illness, so prompt management of symptoms is important. Having severe symptoms or complications from any illness might require pregnant women to deliver their babies sooner than expected. Preterm delivery (before 37 weeks) can be associated with long-term health problems for babies.

The chance of pregnancy problems for women who have COVID-19 is not known. In limited reports of women with serious symptoms of COVID-19 such as pneumonia during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, almost all delivered their babies by C-section, and some were delivered preterm. The reasons given for the C-sections included COVID-19 as well as other reasons. A small number of infants who were tested for the virus after delivery all tested negative. More information is needed in order to know how COVID-19 in pregnancy could affect the mother or the baby. CDC information on COVID-19 and pregnancy can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Peoplepoint have said 800 people have been redeployed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i work in the hse, admin and i have to say the management in our office alone is farcical,
    we had an employee comeback from France on saturday, ring the manager to ask if she should go to work or not monday
    and was told yes or you won't be paid, so now we're probably all infected, and when we complained this lady is now in isolation.
    Our doors are locked so you have to use the dirty card and open every dirty door to get in,
    even though we have porters and security at the door,
    we were forced to have a meeting of about 25 in a tiny section on friday,
    again i pointed this was going against all advice,
    and again told, sure what do you expect us to do ?
    It's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

That's crazy, I'm in a MNC and no staff who've been abroad in last 14 days can come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Peoplepoint have said 800 people have been redeployed so far.

Has that been announced or just going through the grapevine?

Looked on peoplepoint website and nothing updated since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ap2020

yabadabado wrote: »

It was 800 on Saturday, according to the CEO of the HSE, Paul Reid.

Can't post the link to his tweet as I'm new, but that's where he confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Augeo wrote: »
    They'll undoubtedly look for some compensation.

Sorry to disappoint you, but of the chunk of people who volunteered where I work, and the chunk of people who volunteered where my partner works - no one once mentioned any kind of compensation.

My impression is that the HSE is overwhelmed with volunteers - even in our place the only discord being voiced was by people who were being tagged as "essential" and therefore the organisation was not releasing them. Even after that, people were coming back with proposals to work both sides - mornings to early afternoon in our place, then go do a few hours helping out into the evening.

No one making their help conditional.

And pretty much a similar story in the organisation my partner works in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

This number was given in a communication from my department, too.

Thats just the number who were being redeployed to contact tracing (it may have increased since then).

There was a separate call made for staff to volunteer for temporary transfer to D/Social Protection to process claims. I don't know how many volunteered for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

AulWan wrote: »
    This number was given in a communication from my department, too.

Thats just the number who were being redeployed to contact tracing (it may have increased since then).

There was a separate call made for staff to volunteer for temporary transfer to D/Social Protection to process claims. I don't know how many volunteered for that.

From what I hear there's a questionnaire about to be circulated that volunteers will be asked to fill in - the info provided will then be used to call people up to help where they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How did people volunteer?

In my department HR just asked for anyone who wanted to volunteer to contact HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

From what I hear there's a questionnaire about to be circulated that volunteers will be asked to fill in - the info provided will then be used to call people up to help where they are needed.

that will be the more formal redeployment scheme
    first you are identified as being releasable by your Org - it is not a volunteer led process

Then you will get a link to the PAS system and they will oversee allocating staff as required

The earlier call for volunteers for HSE Contact tracing is less formal and involved volunteers emailing their HR

I also understand that Social protection looked for volunteers, particularly people who used to work there and would know processes to return for a while to assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Riskymove wrote: »
    that will be the more formal redeployment scheme
    first you are identified as being releasable by your Org - it is not a volunteer led process

Then you will get a link to the PAS system and they will oversee allocating staff as required

The earlier call for volunteers for HSE Contact tracing is less formal and involved volunteers emailing their HR

I also understand that Social protection looked for volunteers, particularly people who used to work there and would know processes to return for a while to assist

Havent heard a thing on our office (Part of Dept. of Justice, small office.) assume you can stay in your own office or work from home, wouldnt fancy going into a big office health wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Large redeployment in DEASP. Not sure if internal only.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

AulWan wrote: »
    In my department HR just asked for anyone who wanted to volunteer to contact HR.

Same here in my department, although if they don't get enough volunteers they are just going to pick people. We already have a lot of staff off so I can't see them being able to free up many people.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Same here in my department, although if they don't get enough volunteers they are just going to pick people. We already have a lot of staff off so I can't see them being able to free up many people.

The logical thing to do would be to temporarily reassign as much work that can be done remotely to staff who are limited to working from home (i.e. at risk), thereby freeing up those who can go to the office to work on contact tracing/DEASP.

Though if I recall correctly the DEASP work does involve a temporary location move to one of their buildings, due to their IT systems.

We are working every 2nd day now so not to mix with the people working the alternate days but staff are dropping like flies that have symptoms. Can't see this working for too much longer. They said if we got redeployed we'd be back full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

I've been redeployed as a surveillance assistant from the weekend. Does anyone know what the work will entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

EB_2013 wrote: »
    We are working every 2nd day now so not to mix with the people working the alternate days but staff are dropping like flies that have symptoms. Can't see this working for too much longer. They said if we got redeployed we'd be back full-time.

You are working in a place where multiple People are getting infected?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That definitely isn't right.
    If confirmed case you would think they would have to close?

People are waiting to be tested or in self isolation due to travel but no confirmed cases of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

For us HR sent a email and PO's asked anyone interested to put their name forward. We didnt get told where we would be sent other then it would either be under Health for contact tracing or Social Welfare.

The original call was for 1/2 people per unit but it sounds like as the situation developed through the week that they are going to moving anyone who puts their name down.

But since also pretty much every working parent in the Dept had to go on leave because of schools suddenly closing units are trying to hold onto key people.

Advertisement