Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What costs would they stand to lose if they had to "postpone" this year's festival until next year? I would imagine a significant amount of ticket holders for 2020 would be happy enough to retain their tickets for next year. They would hopefully be able to do the same with most of the booked acts too. Staff costs are obviously ongoing, but I'd presume they keep it lean until ramping up on marketing/PR folks closer to June. So what else is there? Would they pay Ballinlough Castle rent for the site or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭dav09

MJohnston wrote: »
    What costs would they stand to lose if they had to "postpone" this year's festival until next year? I would imagine a significant amount of ticket holders for 2020 would be happy enough to retain their tickets for next year. They would hopefully be able to do the same with most of the booked acts too. Staff costs are obviously ongoing, but I'd presume they keep it lean until ramping up on marketing/PR folks closer to June. So what else is there? Would they pay Ballinlough Castle rent for the site or something?

That's a good question, if creditors allowed, it may be possible to continue next year. But in the interview she mentions the festival costs about 2.5m to run each year, so I assume some will demand to have been paid upfront like some of the big names they've got for art installations, along with potentially acts who might not refund booking deposits (and also may decide not to not play next year). I assume cashflow from the festival happening is what pays the staff of the festival in between each year along with the other festivals they're involved with throughout the year like EP and Latitude, so if the wage bill is, lets say 500k, they'll have to make 3m in total next year even if everything else falls into place unless they've decent cash reserves or lay off staff. I'm sure/ assume a lot of the 2.5m goes into production, stage/ equipment costs, mobile networks, other utilities, marketing, permits/liscences/legal costs, sites, security and costs I can't even imagine, some of these in the six figure range I assume. If all of these creditors decide to do the decent thing and not charge for a deferred event, then there might be a glimmer of hope, but on the other hand some of these may also be facing financial issues, it may very well become 'dog eat dog' scenario, but might not happen either. I assume some creditors are waiting on cash from festivals to keep themselves alive for another year to meet their costs. Also I understand some creditors (like security, medical staff, even equipment) might be irrelevant if the festival doesn't happen this year but it all depends how the contracts have been put in place for some of these things, and some might have to be paid regardless.

Unless they can do some serious cash flow juggling acts, have good cash in the bank and have understand creditors (which actually may be the case as many are in the same boat), I can't see it back in this form unfortunately. It was mentioned in that interview that it is unlikely for Body & Soul to happen again if it doesn't this year if I interpreted that correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Service contracts almost always have a force majuere section. I suspect that that can only be invoked in this case if the time frame for the service delivery (the time before and after the festival) fails within a period of compliance as defined by the law. So once the governament pushes the timeframe for social distance coimpliance beyond the date of the festival, force majuere would come into play.

IANAL, but isn't that how this works?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭dav09

Service contracts almost always have a force majuere section. I suspect that that can only be invoked in this case if the time frame for the service delivery (the time before and after the festival) fails within a period of compliance as defined by the law. So once the governament pushes the timeframe for social distance coimpliance beyond the date of the festival, force majuere would come into play.

IANAL, but isn't that how this works?

Probably yes, and yes that applies to my posts too they're mostly made up of speculation/assumptions, and I hope so but it will probably incur some costs either way I'm sure, but if so and their contracts cover even most of them you'd assume they'll survive, but it really depends how this all plays out. The next thing is if the government will legally stop large public gatherings from going ahead, I haven't looked into the current situation enough and I know some bills are being produced, but to what scope they'll cover will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Cancelled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

Cancelled :(

Sad, but inevitable. Always next year (fingers crossed). See ya there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

https://twitter.com/BodyandSoulIrl/status/1252688187333451776

Sad but at least it sounds like they will be back. The fear with a lot of festivals is that they won't be able to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Expected - still gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Expected but still hurts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Anyone hear anything on refunds yet?

Would be great if they offered the option of just rolling over your ticket to next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Anyone hear anything on refunds yet?

Would be great if they offered the option of just rolling over your ticket to next year

Na heard nothing yet, but that could be a good thing meaning they could be working through that atm and trying to get the same lineup organized.

Email just went out to ticket holders now. Do nothing and your tickets will remain valid for 2021.

If you want to request a refund, there's a form link in the email, and you must request the refund by midnight 21st May 2020.

I'm holding onto my tickets, but if you're not, I recommend seeking out that email in your inboxes or spam folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Email just went out to ticket holders now. Do nothing and your tickets will remain valid for 2021.

If you want to request a refund, there's a form link in the email, and you must request the refund by midnight 21st May 2020.

I'm holding onto my tickets, but if you're not, I recommend seeking out that email in your inboxes or spam folders.

They said a refund should appear in your account within 10 days of submitting for.
    Has anyone received a refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Andrea B. wrote: »
    They said a refund should appear in your account within 10 days of submitting for.
    Has anyone received a refund ?

No give it another little while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

No give it another little while

Have you submitted for refund billybonkers?
    I have a fair bit due back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

Google photos has started showing me my "memories" from this time of year... Its hard to look!!

I got the Facebook event notification last weekend "Body&Soul 2020 is happening soon" and nearly cried. God I'd love to be there.

On the flip side, the weather for the weekend looks nasty so maybe it's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I got the Facebook event notification last weekend "Body&Soul 2020 is happening soon" and nearly cried. God I'd love to be there.

On the flip side, the weather for the weekend looks nasty so maybe it's a relief.

Yeah I would've have been on the festival site now doing two 12 hour shifts for my festival ticket for this coming weekend.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭fillup

First time in 11 years that I wont be heading to Ballinlough for Solstice weekend
    And this year I was due to follow it up by heading over to Glasto on the Wed!

Man 2020 sucks
    F*CK YOU COVID 19

I done a blog report about Body&Soul not happening this year and a look back on all the years I've worked the festival. https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2020/06/18/a-fallow-year-for-festivals-bodysoul-a-virtual-tour-through-the-years/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

This would have been my 8th one.

That email about body and soul at home was very UNCOOL/Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Hope everyone is feeling a little better about not going this year with the really ****e weather.

Havnt been in about three years but definatly going next year

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Body and soul, I salute you ! To next year. (I'd no magic mushrooms anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Moving to September.

Where’d you hear that? Any idea when in September? Bit annoying as I always went with my kid but he’s starting school in September

Moving to September.

Hopefully it doesn't clash with EP, ideal would be the time Bestival came around normally the weekend after EP or even later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Hopefully it doesn't clash with EP, ideal would be the time Bestival came around normally the weekend after EP or even later.

Interesting...seeing as they are gone from EP, I wonder will it be same weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭endainoz

Rfrip wrote: »
    Interesting...seeing as they are gone from EP, I wonder will it be same weekend

It would be a shame if it did, I'd imagine there's still a decent bit of crossover with attendees. Also body and soul hasn't sold out in the last few years either so it would be shooting themselves in the foot a bit I'd say. But maybe ticket sales won't be an issue after a year of no festivals.

It is positive news for events later on in the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

I gather that's only for this year, and hoping the covid situation will be better by then?? Mid Summer is waaaay more suited to B&S imo. Can't beat those long evenings (literally the longest of the year!), plus the chill is definitely there once the Sun goes down in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Seriously wishful thinking that any festivals will be going ahead this year.

Advertisement