Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending a penny (UK)

• 16-01-2018 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭

Have some small change to spend in newry, but I don't think I can use one pound coins,5 and maybe 10 pound notes. Does anyone know if this is the case,and can I change it in a bank in newry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Absolute bargain, got 2 :pac: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Banking may be a better forum.

If you're referring to the old £1 coins, nope you can't spend them.
    Doubt a bank would change them for non-customers.

As for the notes. Should be fine. You'll know soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The old series English £10 will still be accepted until the end of Feb, £5 notes and round £1 coins are out of circulation.

The Northern Irish and Scottish paper £5 and £10 are still valid but good luck spending them in England, you'd have a better chance with Monopoly money in some parts.

Banks may exchange the withdrawn money but expect them to argue about it and refuse if you are not one of their customers.

Some vending machines will still take the old coins, older machines are more difficult to adapt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I was in similar situation with around £30 of different coinage and I managed to get rid of it all to the Pakistani corner shops which are all over England when I was there last month. The shops are generally appreciative of the change.

Advertisement