Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Can a normal person buy from Musgraves? or is it not just shops?

AFAIK you can, however if you dont have a VAT number then they'll have to charge you the VAT. So find out if their quoted prices are ex.VAT in case you get a shock at the checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Muahahaha wrote: »
    AFAIK you can, however if you dont have a VAT number then they'll have to charge you the VAT. So find out if their quoted prices are ex.VAT in case you get a shock at the checkout

No you need to create an account with them first as a business.

Saying that anyone that is a sole trader, your PPS number is your VAT number.

You then pay as cash, but you need a number/card before they will leave you past the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

cronin_j wrote: »
    No you need to create an account with them first as a business.

Saying that anyone that is a sole trader, your PPS number is your VAT number.

You then pay as cash, but you need a number/card before they will leave you past the door.

Just a heads up for anyone that comes to this thread....your PPS number is NOT your VAT number. If you're a sole trader and plan to earn below a certain yearly threshold you don't have to register for VAT but you use your PPS number as a tax reg no. If you want to avail of paying for things 'Ex Vat' you need to register for VAT and then you charge your customers the VAT.

Fillet Steak like Chicken breasts are some of the least flavoursome cuts .

Fine if you don’t particularly like the taste of meat or if you dress in sauce.

if you want flavour though always go for Rib eye or Striploin or if you have time to marinate before hand a really cheap cut like Beef cheeks are yum.

if you know how to cook a piece of top rib prepared right will match nearly any steak.

I very much disagree the flavour of fillet is superior to other cuts, its absolutely delicious! I wound never let sauce near fillet but would sometime (on the side) with other cuts. There is something about rib eye that I'm not too gone on and while its nice I'd prefer a good sirlion or striplion but they just don't compare to fillet in texture or flavour. That said due to the price I usually have sirlion or striplion week in week out and fillet is a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I very much disagree the flavour of fillet is superior to other cuts, its absolutely delicious! I wound never let sauce near fillet but would sometime (on the side) with other cuts. There is something about rib eye that I'm not too gone on and while its nice I'd prefer a good sirlion or striplion but they just don't compare to fillet in texture or flavour. That said due to the price I usually have sirlion or striplion week in week out and fillet is a treat.

you can absolutely prefer Fillet to other cuts and think the flavour is superior. There is no wrong answer to what do you prefer ,every Man,Woman and child know their own taste buds best .

That said it is though without dispute a very bland flavoured cut , that though suits a lot of people. Sure many people love steak/beef well done which imo is removing alot of the flavour from the meat .

• Advertisement

Very high quality 28 day aged fillet lightly seasoned and served RARE is full of flavour. It is not cheap though. People buy cheap fillet and overcook it then wonder what the fuss is.

Good rib-eye, while fantastic, has three or four times the amount of calories of fillet, you cant be eating it all the time.

Good quality Fillet Steak is great
    Yet still less flavour than the equivalent cut of Ribeye and Striploin.
    As I said earlier I have no problem with you prefering fillet steak , but it is without doubt a blander cut.

I will not have qty of calories in a discusion about taste of Steaks it has no place , shame on you sir shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

No misteak about it,this is a great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The OP posted that 2 days ago?

Yes Im aware, 5 pages in and no more steak bargains, just chat about food:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

magentis wrote: »
    No misteak about it,this is a great thread.

Indeed it is, threads this well done are quite rare these days. We must fillet with bargains.

I'll see myself out.

y

That said it is though without dispute a very bland flavoured cut , that though suits a lot of people. Sure many people love steak/beef well done which imo is removing alot of the flavour from the meat .

Why is it considered the best cut of meat so and is far more expensive than the other cuts?

I consider a fillet more flavorsome than a sirlion/striplion etc. A thick fillet cooked medium-rare has more flavour than the cheaper cuts and it melts in your mouth as its so tender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Why is it considered the best cut of meat so and is far more expensive than the other cuts?

I consider a fillet more flavorsome than a sirlion/striplion etc. A thick fillet cooked medium-rare has more flavour than the cheaper cuts and it melts in your mouth as its so tender.

I guess because there was a huge move towards lean meat in most of the western world. Fillet being generally extremely lean made it more popular.

I think there is a massive difference in flavour between rib eye and fillet.

While I agree there is no right answer to which is better, I could equally ask why is it that all those celebrity chefs favour rib eye over fillet etc.

It is because it is considered the best cut that it is more expensive -Supply versus demand

couple of reasons why it is considered "better" by the majority

It looks more attractive , both raw and cooked
    It is easier to cook
    It is more consistent than other cuts
    A cheap fillet steak from an old cow or something will still be ok
    Cooked badly it still tastes good
    A lot of people don’t actually like to much flavour in their meat.

But ask any meat expert/Chef or meat enthusiasts about flavour they will tell you fillet is bland

Same with really cheap and difficult to cook cuts like beef cheeks

Same applies to Chicken breasts , but I defy anybody to make a curry or casserole with thigh meat and tell me that it is nicer with breasts
    Yet thigh meat is 3/4 the price per KG than Breasts.

They have to charge everyone VAT, like every business surely. VAT registered folk may claim the VAT back as applicable.

They won't sell to you unless you have an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Simply because it's the most tender cut. It's not the most flavoursome.

Chicken breasts are the most expensive cut of chicken. Are they the most flavoursome part of the bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

But ask any meat expert/Chef or meat enthusiasts about flavour they will tell you fillet is bland
    You are eating the wrong fillet if you think it is bland. Its flavour is more subtle than other cuts of beef, yes, but its texture is sublime. Im going to do some carpaccio at the weekend, cant wait.

Picked up two Angus Rib-Eyes from Aldi on the way home, a bargain at 11.49 any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

This post has been deleted.

Interesting. I've four well-used cast iron pans of various sizes that are just too heavy for me these days. A bit tempted - let us know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,115 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm after going and buying 12 packets (24) rib-eye steaks in Lidl.
    72 euro and steaks for a good few days. Put 11 packets in the freezer and will eat the other two over the weekend. Missus doesn't like steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mayordenis wrote: »
    I guess because there was a huge move towards lean meat in most of the western world. Fillet being generally extremely lean made it more popular.

I think there is a massive difference in flavour between rib eye and fillet.

While I agree there is no right answer to which is better, I could equally ask why is it that all those celebrity chefs favour rib eye over fillet etc.

I'd agree with you there. Rib eye cuts tend to have marbling with the steak having one or two narrow slivers of fat running through it. When pan frying this fat gets rendered and spreads its flavour into the meat. It means that some forkfuls of ribeye are just the meat whereas others are a combination of meat and fat which gives your taste buds far more flavour.

As for tenderness there's no doubt that fillet steak is the more tender cut. However that doesn't mean rib eye or any other steak isnt tender. In my experience tenderness is not only a function of the actual cut but also how you prepare it and cook it. I never knew up till a couple of years back the importance of taking a steak out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature before going into the pan. I also didn't know the importance of resting a steak after cooking which I now know is the secret to ensuring your steak can re-absorb its own juices and be the most tender it can possibly be on your plate. Those two stages alone improve any steak considerably over not doing them and just slapping it straight from fridge to pan to plate.

In any case the most tender cut of beef Ive ever cooked regularly is not fillet but rather beef cheeks. When cooked low and slow over three hours beef cheeks just melt in your mouth. It is a really tough cut to begin with but when cooked correctly it turns to jelly and has a sublime mouth feel to it. Beef cheeks are also dirt cheap, my butcher does them for €8 a kilo which is a bargain given how amazing they are when cooked slowly.
    I'm after going and buying 12 packets (24) rib-eye steaks in Lidl.
    72 euro and steaks for a good few days. Put 11 packets in the freezer and will eat the other two over the weekend. Missus doesn't like steak.

Time for a username change tayto lover ? :pac:

Got 6 of the Lidl rib eyes in the freezer myself, might add another few before the offer finishes up on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Skirt-steak is the way to go- the fact that very few people know how to cook this particular steak (fast and furious) means it remains cheap- happy days- it's one of the tastiest pieces of beef you'll have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Got 6 of the Lidl rib eyes in the freezer myself, might add another few before the offer finishes up on Sunday[/QUOTE]

I threw them on the bbq last night, they were just delicious, I got a tip years ago, blast the bbq up to full then when it is 400 degrees turn the middle plate off and put the steaks on leaving the other 2 plates at full

They cook with indirect heat and taste amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That's just plain wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

You can't beat a top rib roast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Ah shure, ye're all going round in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

Ah shure, ye're all going round in circles.

Everyone has a stake in this thread at this stage. Let the circling continue :)

Gets coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Surely this thread belongs in the food and drink forum??? Six pages and eff all bargains... simply a discussion over which type of steak people prefer and how to cook it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

tallpaul wrote: »
    Surely this thread belongs in the food and drink forum??? Six pages and eff all bargains... simply a discussion over which type of people prefer and how to cook it...

Never read the food and drink forum but know everything about steak now on this forum thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I never knew up till a couple of years back the importance of taking a steak out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature before going into the pan.

This actually doesn't really do a whole lot, 30 mins doesn't raise the temp much at all as you can see from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

One thing I do find helps is salting the beef 24 hours in advance. Plenty of salt on it and put it in the fridge on a wire rack for at least a day, maybe 2 if you think that far in advance. More salt before cooking and you really get better flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    This actually doesn't really do a whole lot, 30 mins doesn't raise the temp much at all as you can see from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

One thing I do find helps is salting the beef 24 hours in advance. Plenty of salt on it and put it in the fridge on a wire rack for at least a day, maybe 2 if you think that far in advance. More salt before cooking and you really get better flavour.

I've read that an hour is enough time for the juices to be reabsorbed, any less than that and the meat will just be wet and hard to sear because salt draws out the moisture.

I just dry the outside of the steak on both sides with paper towel and throw some salt on it just before going in the pan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Wez wrote: »
    For anyone with access, Musgraves offer 5 huge fillet steaks for €35.. Not a special offer, but they tend to always be in stock.

Just back from Botswana, where a 750 gram T-bone (26.5 Oz) was €12 in a nice restaurant.

Mush raves is very good for steak that's why I linked the page earlier
    Sometimes they have offers on to
    Flank steak is usually €4.50!- kilo
    If you know what to do with it then that is a serious bargain

Advertisement