Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-1 FAQ & Links Superthread (Read first before posting) **UPDATED 11/7/2011**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

lil_lisa wrote: »
    When you finish your IWT visa, are you still under your 12 months from graduating? If you are, it is possible to get another one as long as you are still eligible.

Yes my flight home is August 22nd and my graduation date was Oct 30th. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would consider having a look at www.intraxinternships.com, they guarantee the DS-2019 in two weeks which, as you know, is one of the only things out of your hands when applying for a visa. I was in your situation last year and went with these guys as the guarantee meant I could worry about other things, especially when time is tight. Anyway, I received mine in 4 days and had my visa within two weeks of arriving home (extra time to sort out finances). I know its a while away yet, but its good to have it on your mind.

Wow that is quick! Do they then schedual your embassy interview or how does that work? I know it is a while away but I want to have a clear idea of whether I'll stay here or not.

No, you can schedule that yourself. Around that time there should only be a day or two waiting list so you can opt to wait til your DS-2019 is in your hand then book the interview.

The one issue I ran into was getting the DS-7002 completed and signed by all three parties (do you remember this form? The training plan). It is strongly advised that you try complete this before heading back home. Then you can email it to Intrax who will sign it and send it back for you to bring to the interview also.

Yea I know the form. Thanks so much for the info...no doubt I'll be asking you more questions soon but you've been a great help!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hopefully someone can help me here! I'm more than a bit confused.

I know you need to bring 2x2 photos for your interview, I'm getting them sorted tomorrow. But what's the story with uploading a picture for online form? It just will not accept, too big, too small, too far away, wrong lighting.

The J1 Online guidelines from Usit give examples of the form where you can do the form with or without a picture, but elsewhere it tells me I have to upload the picture?

Should I scan in one of the pics I get done tomorrow and use that?

Any light on this would be great!

You can complete the form without the photo and save it but you can't submit it without the photo. The specific requirements are here. I would suggest bringing this with you tomorrow when you get your photos taken to make sure you get them as accurately as possible. Like you said, 2x2 will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CorkGurl

Damn... so you cant do it alone you HAVE to use USIT or SAYIT etc..... Bummer! tahnks for the info tho

lil_lisa wrote: »
    You can complete the form without the photo and save it but you can't submit it without the photo. The specific requirements are here. I would suggest bringing this with you tomorrow when you get your photos taken to make sure you get them as accurately as possible. Like you said, 2x2 will work.

Thanks a million! I went to Earlsfort Terrace today to the Fuji Film shop and they did the 2x2 pictures. They email or put it on a USB for you so you can use that picture for your electronic DS-160. The even upload it to the photo checker on the DS 160 site to make sure it meets the requirements, so they can take another one if needs be.

But, €15 for the pleasure :rolleyes: They give you 6 of the pictures, and can cut the extras passport size for ya, so it's grand to have the spares.

Got my form done anyway, took about half an hour or so. Few tips though! Have your passport and Sevis reciept handy, if you're with Usit, have the DS 160 prompt sheet open in another window to go along with. Also, the session times out every five minutes or so, such a pain. Make sure to save as you go along and take note of your application number.

Just an update. My appointment was for 8, and I got there for 7.35, five people ahead of me. I was done in an hour, and as I was leaving there was about 40/50 people there. Definitely turn up the suggested 15 mins prior to your appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Just a quick question about a J1

We got a email today, sent to our college emails about an internship opportunity in San Francisco over the course of the summer. How long would it take to get a J1 in order if I was to apply and eventually be offered the internship?
    Or at this stage would I need to have already applied? Or further than that, would I need to have a J1 sorted to even apply?

My mother lives in SF, so I would be living there, if that helps (She has an irish passport and lives there on a green card or something to that effect)

Are you looking for the summer J-1 visa or year long J-1 visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nDakota

Hi, I'm heading to San Diego for 3 months starting from June and I hear I.D can be tricky issue around there. I've looked into the DMV I.D but I am not sure if I have to be in the state for a certain amount of time before I can be issued one. I was wondering if anyone here has any past experience in this area and could offer me some help getting some sort of eligible ID in stead of bringing my passport every.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 _Kaz_

Hi all,
    Just a quick one, I'm applying for the 12 month visa. Anyone have an inkling as to how long between applying and the embassy interview? Also, can you like request an early appointment or anything like that?
    (Pushing my luck I'd say, but just want to be sure!)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I think its anything from 6-8 weeks processing but I could be wrong.

I found mine took about 6 weeks (booked through USIT). When you're booking with whatever company you could ask them if they can request an early appointment for the interview.

If you already have a job, Intrax guarantees your DS2019 in two weeks, given another week for Embassy interview, that's three weeks roughly, if you're in a rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Why is Orlando so unpopular for a J1 destination? Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

D.Q wrote: »
    Why is Orlando so unpopular for a J1 destination? Am I missing something?

Florida is absolutely boiling in the summer time and since Orlando is inland it's even hotter, hence why a lot of people visit during October mid term break. Also, Orlando isn't exactly the most exciting city apart from the theme parks...

Just having a look at USIT's application form and wondering about the following:
    Applicant Information
    Departure and Return Dates (Please note that these dates should not be changed after your application has been submitted.)
    Date of departure to U.S. and DS-2019 (Official Work Papers) start date (mm/dd/yy):
    Date of return to home country and DS-2019 (Official Work Papers) end date (mm/dd/yy):

Let's say if I put down 1st November as my start date,and I want to fly out 30 days in advance (as you're allowed to do that). Can I put down 1st November here but still fly out in early October?

Just want to fill things in correctly as I want no issues, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anything regarding the compant you're with sponsering you to stay on? I was told by one person that it was cost about 4 grand and then a couple of other people told me it was free in which case I will definitly look into it more.

Are you talking about a H1B visa? If a company decides to keep you on under this visa, they have to pay up to $4,000 in fees for several different things. They are quite strict on this, the employee CANNOT pay these fees. So, to answer your question, it is free for you but costs the company. And, honestly, $4,000 is not a lot of money for a company hiring a new employee. Wikipedia have a good article about the H1B.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Im in America now but still don't have a job. I keeping getting e-mails from intrax to fill in my job information. Is it ok if you can't get a job or will you be dismissed from the program if you fail to find one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aisling1987

Hey All,

Im here on the J1 graduate visa. Im here 7 months now. Ive been getting work here and there but am about to be offered a full time position. Ive heard that my visa can be extended for 6 months. Does anyone know anything about this??

Thank you!

The J1 graduate visa cannot be extended past 12 months. Unless you are on the Training J-1 visa, the longest you can stay is 12 months (without the travelling time allowed). If you are still within a year of graduating, you should consider trying to get another year visa. Otherwise, the H1B is still available if the company are interested in sponsoring that visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Hey,
    Im coming to the end of my one year IWT.. I've been looking into the 18 month trainee visa. Just wondering has anyone gone on this and do they know how they go about checking the one year professional work experience thing?

im organising the 12 month IWT at the moment with the IIC and im hoping to have my visa start date for the beginning of november. however i want to travel there in mid october. anyone have any problems getting in to the US a few days/weeks earlier than your visa start date? i know on the US gov site it says we are allowed up to 30 days in advance but just wondering if anyone had any problems? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

No you wont have a problem. I entered 3 weeks before my visa start date. Best of luck with the visa! U going to Boston by the way?

Corrimbla wrote: »
    No you wont have a problem. I entered 3 weeks before my visa start date. Best of luck with the visa! U going to Boston by the way?
    Thanks for your reply :) No, I am going to Seattle!

• Advertisement

Got my bank draft for the embassy today, in $$, it says "international cheque" on it though. Is this correct? Sorry..never dealt with these things before :o

Advertisement