Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mileyk2

thenobody wrote: »
    No. You can ring the kentucky place before your number comes up to change any details and at the interview you can change the address too. just remember to!
    Not sure if PO Boxes are allowed. I think they are and you can rent them buts thats getting awkward now.

thats great i'll ring them over the next few weeks,
    I'm doing a j1 over there in an office and i'm sure they'll give me a letter, even if don't end up working there,they'll give me a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

mileyk2 wrote: »
    thats great i'll ring them over the next few weeks,
    I'm doing a j1 over there in an office and i'm sure they'll give me a letter, even if don't end up working there,they'll give me a letter.

Wont work. you will need a letter dated near the time of the interview and with information on start date etc. they know anyone can write a letter so they may actually check up on it.

By the way, you dont ring the embassy at all until kentucky consular has passed the case over to them - they wont know anything about it and wont really talk to you. You would need to ring the kentucky consular for some questions - about the application only - and will need to allow at least 2 months for your case to be processed (which is why sending the forms immediately is recommended). Once they receive it there is a 6 to 8 week process time.

And also I think once you start this process by sending the forms back you cant go over on another visa like a J1. There was questions about even if you could travel there on a visa waiver but i went on a holiday to the states during the time and was ok. But have been told you cant go on a new visa. But that may be someway incorrect and is something you should clear up before using the J1.

And another thing so all info is out there. The person completing the affidavit will also have to show they have enough money above the poverty line and this figure would take into account everyone in their family plus you so it would be that table on that website for the total number of people at 125%. Again, another reason not ask someone for affidavit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well would it be in their family or in their household? I think its household, it wouldn't make sense to take into consideration the entire family when none of them may be living together at all, right?

Its a family friend, so they'll do the letter closer to the time. My j1 is a work and travel and not an internship, so i'm not subject to the two year rule, so it doesn't affect me.
    Yeh I'll ring kentucky i just want to change the address thing from N/A. i mean there is no rush.
    For the Poverty line thing, do you need to be working a job at time of interview that pays you more then the $ per year rather then have it accumulated as personal savings?
    Wont work. you will need a letter dated near the time of the interview and with information on start date etc. they know anyone can write a letter so they may actually check up on it.

By the way, you dont ring the embassy at all until kentucky consular has passed the case over to them - they wont know anything about it and wont really talk to you. You would need to ring the kentucky consular for some questions - about the application only - and will need to allow at least 2 months for your case to be processed (which is why sending the forms immediately is recommended). Once they receive it there is a 6 to 8 week process time.

And also I think once you start this process by sending the forms back you cant go over on another visa like a J1. There was questions about even if you could travel there on a visa waiver but i went on a holiday to the states during the time and was ok. But have been told you cant go on a new visa. But that may be someway incorrect and is something you should clear up before using the J1.

And another thing so all info is out there. The person completing the affidavit will also have to show they have enough money above the poverty line and this figure would take into account everyone in their family plus you so it would be that table on that website for the total number of people at 125%. Again, another reason not ask someone for affidavit.

Its for people they are responsible for. So if they have a wife/husband and two kids then they need enough for five (plus anyone else they support). If the kids have moved out and fend for themselves when they arent included.

You need not be working at the time of the interview (that makes no difference because you will have to quit within six months anyway) but need to show you have that amount of money available to you - and not tied up in assets.

the two year rule is not the issue i think. It is that you are processing for a greencard whilst going to the states on another visa. I know of people who could not go on work travel to the states because they were in the process for the greencard application. Again check it out. Its not about when you come home.

• Advertisement

I already have my visa for the summer so the process is over? I was talking to another guy who said it wasn't a problem. I mean if i had of got the letter in july and was already over there it would make the same difference as now.

All i'm concerned about currently is not filling in the address on the form. Do kentucky give you a receipt or anything when the receive your info? I'll call them in a few weeks and change the application
    Its for people they are responsible for. So if they have a wife/husband and two kids then they need enough for five (plus anyone else they support). If the kids have moved out and fend for themselves when they arent included.

You need not be working at the time of the interview (that makes no difference because you will have to quit within six months anyway) but need to show you have that amount of money available to you - and not tied up in assets.

the two year rule is not the issue i think. It is that you are processing for a greencard whilst going to the states on another visa. I know of people who could not go on work travel to the states because they were in the process for the greencard application. Again check it out. Its not about when you come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MossNyc

I don't think you are actually applying for the visa until you do the interview. I went for my h1b interview in dublin in september after i had sent back the green card application in june and Neither I nor the officer brought it up.

The H1b does allow for dual intent - meaning an H-1B holder can have legal immigration intent (apply for and obtain the green card) while still a holder of the visa. The J1 doesn't.

If you coming out for the 4 month J1 i couldn't see the problem but then again its US Immigration so who knows.

Ok. Just something i thought you would need to think of.

You get nothing from them. You should have sent by post that you can track it was delivered. then allow for 2 months to process then the info should be available to them.
    You ring in a month and they may say they have it and that it hasnt been entered into their system or they may say its not in their system so they dont know if they have it.
    Only tracking the postage is the best way i guess.
    I think i sent mine swift post. Wasnt bothered sending with UPS and paying a fortune. And typical an post tracking "your package has left ireland' - great. that tells me a lot. So I had to ring an post directly and talked to someone who could bring up info that it was delivered and on which day.

had the same problem with an post. I just sent it by regular post, should get there all the same, i'll ring in a month and ask.
    Ok. Just something i thought you would need to think of.

You get nothing from them. You should have sent by post that you can track it was delivered. then allow for 2 months to process then the info should be available to them.
    You ring in a month and they may say they have it and that it hasnt been entered into their system or they may say its not in their system so they dont know if they have it.
    Only tracking the postage is the best way i guess.
    I think i sent mine swift post. Wasnt bothered sending with UPS and paying a fortune. And typical an post tracking "your package has left ireland' - great. that tells me a lot. So I had to ring an post directly and talked to someone who could bring up info that it was delivered and on which day.

Just wondering if you had any interaction with KCC? I'm really worried about putting not known in the address part of my form. I know I'm sure I can resolve this at the interview but would like to get it sorted over then next few months. Your postings are a great help
    MossNyc wrote: »
    Hey Man congrats on getting picked. Don't worry too much about everything just get all the stuff we spoke about here together and you will be fine.

Also my number from this year was above 23500 and my interview was in march so plan for interview around then. I dont think your number is that high. My attorney told me not to worry about the number as more than likely you will be called.

Best of luck
    Moss

• Advertisement

I know it was directed at Moss, but my experience KCC are helpful. But there is no point in ringing them until you allow time for the letter to arrive and allow time for the processing of your application.
    Dont call until at least August.
    Putting N/A is better than leaving it blank.

Actually I looked back through my emails I did exactly the same thing. N/A on the form and emailed them in December asking them to update the address (and add a phone number). They responded the next day acknowledging the change.

Oh thats great news! Thanks for all your help! In the middle of college finals and have just got the dream ticket so I'm all over the place! I hope we can keep in touch throughout the proccess as I 'm sure I'll need a reassuring voice when the stress kicks in, in 9 months time!
    I'm going to plan for March like Moss because my number is similar to his. Just going to enjoy my summer now
    I know it was directed at Moss, but my experience KCC are helpful. But there is no point in ringing them until you allow time for the letter to arrive and allow time for the processing of your application.
    Dont call until at least August.
    Putting N/A is better than leaving it blank.

Actually I looked back through my emails I did exactly the same thing. N/A on the form and emailed them in December asking them to update the address (and add a phone number). They responded the next day acknowledging the change.

Yeah sure.

Mine was 18xxx and was at end of march brought forward from April. But it was last year. So March is a safe bet but most likely after.
    Nothing to do than wait, have fun, dont get in trouble with the law, save save save and get your sh!t together in january.
    Oh, and make copies of everything for them to keep.
    Funny how people react when you say you won the lottery thing saying "thats brilliant, lucky bastard" and when it gets down the road and you get it and book to go they are like "Jasus, you're really going? Thats crazy, I couldnt do it". Guess it depends what and everything you are giving up.

mileyk2 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you had any interaction with KCC? I'm really worried about putting not known in the address part of my form. I know I'm sure I can resolve this at the interview but would like to get it sorted over then next few months. Your postings are a great help

Yeah i found this on one of the forums. Dont worry about it

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?310419-DV2011-Form-DS-230-(Question-No.11)

It seems to be fine to put NA and then do like Stephen does which is email to change.

Thats great! thanks! what kind of lead time do you get for your interview?
    Yeah i found this on one of the forums. Dont worry about it

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?310419-DV2011-Form-DS-230-(Question-No.11)

It seems to be fine to put NA and then do like Stephen does which is email to change.

6 to 8 weeks - actually thats after the bulletin.

You then wait for the appointment letter which is usually 4 or 5 weeks in advance.
    But once you see your number reached in the bulletins you can ring to get your date of interview. So the letter becomes irrelevant - but is important to be able to get in to the place.

Yeh I can imagine it will be like that, sure the parents will feel awk.
    When you made contact with KCC was it by phone before email?
    Yeah sure.

Mine was 18xxx and was at end of march brought forward from April. But it was last year. So March is a safe bet but most likely after.
    Nothing to do than wait, have fun, dont get in trouble with the law, save save save and get your sh!t together in january.
    Oh, and make copies of everything for them to keep.
    Funny how people react when you say you won the lottery thing saying "thats brilliant, lucky bastard" and when it gets down the road and you get it and book to go they are like "Jasus, you're really going? Thats crazy, I couldnt do it". Guess it depends what and everything you are giving up.

Man, you are getting excited about this arent ya!!

By phone a few times first.

Relax. Its mad easy!
    Hard part over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Do I have this right - the lower your case number, the earlier your interview?

yes.

• Advertisement

Discus, did you get it? How low is your number? I've heard people in the 3### that would be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'm well under 20###, but not THAT low!! :(

well since being that cagey about it then your interview will be before april. but ill guess december

So i finally received my physical green card in the post on tuesday. Its nice to finally have it. I got the new version which is like a credit card and actually green ( the last one was yellow)

It took about a month before i received a welcome letter. This is useful to have as it gives you a receipt number which allows you check the status of your case online. It took about 10 weeks before i got the physical greencard

Anyway just wanted to add the final chapter to this. Hope everyones interviews goes well :)

Dont forget. You have to have that greencard card with you all the time everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

So i finally received my physical green card in the post on tuesday. Its nice to finally have it. I got the new version which is like a credit card and actually green ( the last one was yellow)

It took about a month before i received a welcome letter. This is useful to have as it gives you a receipt number which allows you check the status of your case online. It took about 10 weeks before i got the physical greencard

Anyway just wanted to add the final chapter to this. Hope everyones interviews goes well :)

mossnyc, did you tick the box on your visa application to have your social security card applied for automatically, and if you did, how long did it take after you arrived to get it?

One of my friends was refused entry to a bar because all he had was his green card. Not logical at all!

Dont forget. You have to have that greencard card with you all the time everywhere.

Not a hope in hell im bringing that around with me. I have my New york state license and that stays with me. Its nearly $500 for a new one and you have to go in and do biometrics every time you apply for it. If you have a valid State drivers license i cant see the cops giving you too much hassle

mossnyc, did you tick the box on your visa application to have your social security card applied for automatically, and if you did, how long did it take after you arrived to get it?

I did but i already have my ss card i just wanted the one that doesn't have the needs valid work requirements on it . Ill let you know when it arrives

• Advertisement

Even though you tick the SS card box you will need to go to the SS office about 10 days after you arrive. Ive read many reports of people expecting their social security cards to automatically arrive and nothing showing up. Best to just go get it done yourself.

Advertisement