Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkside Homes New Development (Balgriffin)

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bengtrj

Just jumping back to the home insurance topic. Does anyone have any recommendations on the value for building cover ?

I've only just discovered that you should not be insuring a home based on asking price, but based on rebuild cost. First time buyer problems :confused:

The bank's letter of approval and your valuation document should have the rebuild value in them. You should use that value.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

Yip was there alright. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lcarrol3

Just got called for final snag today! Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bbehan202

Great to hear. I got an email too but it said electricity won't be ready yet. Are you going to desnag without that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ovenumo

lcarrol3 wrote: »
    Just got called for final snag today! Yay!

Me too!! We’re in at 8.30 on Tuesday woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lcarrol3

bbehan202 wrote: »
    Great to hear. I got an email too but it said electricity won't be ready yet. Are you going to desnag without that?

Yeah we're going to go ahead, that's what our snagger advised anyway.

Oh yay @ovenumo, we're in at 8 on Tuesday might see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Offspring

I'm currently looking at two places in this development, and I know they're all installed with solar but the one thing I'm not totally clear on is if the solar is partial or fully solar. Has anyone who already lives here converted to full solar if it's partial?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 omegab

Hi,

The newest houses on Sale don't have Solar panels any more, they have a heat pump instead to satisfy the Part L regulations.

For all the prior phases I don't know what you mean by Partial Solar - there is between 1 and 1.5 kWpeak of Solar PV panels on each house. This is used to offset the energy costs at that moment in the house, i.e. there is no solar diverter to heat the hot water cylinder and the excess energy is given back to the Energy grid for free. The largest houses generate approximately 160 euro maximum electricity per year so nothing dramatic.

Overall the houses are great :-)

OK. Both of the places I'm looking at are second hand, built during the first phase in 2018 I'm assuming, so they both do have solar which was a huge selling point for me.

Basically i was trying to see if I could go completely off the grid, or if it was only going to help cut my electrical down, and it looks like it's the latter, but that's still better than nothing and I was already planning on installing solar whenever I bought so if I'm successful at getting one of these I'm even happier.

What are some of the biggest complaints you've had? I absolutely love the place I've looked at already, and it looks like basically everything I could want is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 omegab

We are really happy in Parkside, no complaints with the build quality of our house - if you want to fine-tune your experience - try and get an E-type with South / West facing garden and a non-mid terrace so you have windows in your bathrooms and a house with a side entrance (or at least a bin tunnel) for your bins.

The Solar will help towards your energy consumption. I couldn't make the calculations pay over 5-10 years to justify expanding the standard set of solar panels / inverter and the installer laughed in agreement that they were only there to cover the regulations.

Phase 2 was around 2017/2018 just so you know.

• Advertisement

Cool, that's good to know. One of them is terraced, the other is semi-d. I'm not sure about the different types, as I'm kind of limited to what's available but they both are really what I'm looking for, and the 20 minutes I spent just sort of meandering before and after viewing one of the homes last week gave me a pretty good idea of the noise levels and how busy it was, which was nice.

I'm hoping I'm able to secure one of them, honestly, because it seems perfect for what I want, especially with the amenities in the area, especially within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fido_dido

Should I be bother that a huge Social housing is coming up on Malahide Road just opposite Bank of Ireland? I was planning to buy a house in Parkside today when I found out about it?

I just went sale agreed on a house in Parkside, and while this is the first I'm hearing about social housing being built nearby, but it doesn't bother me one bit. The way I look at it is that there are people out there who aren't able to afford homes, and this gives them that peace of mind so I'm happy that there's actually something being done to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

There's already a fair amount of social housing in the Belmayne area which is right next to Parkside. It doesn't seem to cause an issue. The new block being built is a mixture of 1, 2 & 3-bed apartments. We were told mostly older people will get the 1-bed units. It's not part of Parkside, it's a completely different development and is about a 10 min walk from the entrance to the estate.

It's the same in any relatively new area. There's a housing crisis, so they are building lots of housing and a certain percentage is going to go to social & affordable housing. I honestly can't see this new block causing an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 0livier06

Hi everybody,

I am interested in the houses in the Parkside Development.
    I don't know the area much and with the current travel restrictions it is hard to go there and see. I heard a lot of positive feedbacks about the area and from what I can read here, people seem happy as well.

I was wondering, how is life here ? Are people happy with the houses quality and the area so far ? What would be the downsides living here ?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fireglo2020

I moved into Parkside in December.

I was worried about the social housing, building site noises etc. but the place is idyllic. It's too quiet if you ask me :) . I have lovely neighbours and the area is really well kept - good sense of community. I haven't done the commute into city center yet for obvious reasons so that may be only downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 0livier06

Hi fireglo2020 !

Thanks a mil for your reply :D

Since my last message I have managed to join Parkside's residents Facebook group. I must admit I have been impressed by the community that seems to be building here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

Hello, I've been living in Parkside since 2018 but I still keep my eyes on this thread.

Welcome new residents. Hopefully construction will restart soon, it is very enjoyable to go on a walk around the area seeing construction buzzing.
    I don't think construction has entirely stopped at the moment. Today I saw some work being done on the Hole in the wall road extension. I think we'll see a lot of clearance of rough terrain around the Parkside estate this year. The road extension will include the development of the abandoned house area 'Windermere'. And just before that you have the new pedestrian crossing and creche being built (expected completion this summer).

I think once the apartments along the cycle track are built, that might be the end of Parkside estate extension? There is still space to be filled in between the cycle track and Priory Hall road so maybe it won't be the end entirely.

The Facebook parkside group is a very useful aid to help new people get set up. Very friendly neighbourly vibe around the place. Lots of young families... in fact I must admit I'm a little surprised about this, practically no single home owners ! I'm an anomaly, I bought one of the smaller houses at the start of the building, moved in by myself but all my neighbours and everyone else I know in the estate are either families or couples on their way to having kids. I now rent a room in my house to a tenant (third one staying here at the moment). A totally different purpose than the norm for resident of the estate. I know no one in the entire estate who is in the same boat as me. One thing I do have in common with my neighbours is the work-from-home culture. Me and my WFH neighbours all unite and grumble in vain about the current wifi congestion, we just have to get on with our internet fluctuation issues.

Anways, I was just wondering if anyone new here who is also purchasing as a means to occupying by oneself and renting to single tenants rather than setting up dream family home?

I'm in the process of closing on a home on Parkside Drive, and it'll be just me but I'm excited for it. I do have a couple of questions for those that live there currently, mostly about the sun and what kinds of stuff can grow easily there in terms of plants. I'm not on Facebook and don't want to re-create an account for them to siphon info away, so I'll be stuck to the forums, but basically:

What hours does the sun actually hit the backyards that seem to be south facing?
    Are there any plants that don't grow well?
    Are there shady spots that are of concern with the wooden fences?

Advertisement