Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid19 working from home arrangements.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

beauf wrote: »
    Some places require a dedicated room that can be locked. Some insist you can only use work devices not your own laptop or phone etc.[/quote

Laptop and phone have to be for work purposes only too, suitable safe work space and the childcare part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

What policies did you have pre-pandemic about childcare during those two days? Were you allowed to be providing childcare at the same time as working?

Childcare had to be arranged. You had to confirm (and sometimes prove) that the child was in care of another i.e. declarations.

Any breech of the flexibility and the company had huge power to discipline you as your contract was amended if you wanted to avail of WFH.

The mountain of paperwork we had to fill out, repeatedly put many off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

I've done a fair amount of wfh since 2015.

My old place we were allowed WFH for up to 50% of the time, subject to a fairly pragmatic policy. (e.g. childcare needed to be arranged, workspace had to be appropriate). You didn't have to sign up per se but WFH privileges would be removed if you didn't comply.

In 2019 I changed role to a company with an office in town but no obligation to go in. So I chose to WFH all the time if I wasn't travelling. The ironic thing is that there was no policy whatsoever. Just a strong culture of if you do the work, nobody cares. We adapted to COVID very easily not surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

beauf wrote: »
    Are you saying yes you to will do that yourself or not...? ;)
    When I said "my team" I meant my colleagues, I am not a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

crisco10 wrote: »
    I've done a fair amount of wfh since 2015.

My old place we were allowed WFH for up to 50% of the time, subject to a fairly pragmatic policy. (e.g. childcare needed to be arranged, workspace had to be appropriate). You didn't have to sign up per se but WFH privileges would be removed if you didn't comply.

In 2019 I changed role to a company with an office in town but no obligation to go in. So I chose to WFH all the time if I wasn't travelling. The ironic thing is that there was no policy whatsoever. Just a strong culture of if you do the work, nobody cares. We adapted to COVID very easily not surprisingly.

Ours is similar, more or less told (with the exception of meetings etc) that getting the work done is more important than putting mandatory hours on the clock between certain times. But depends on your line of work too I suppose. I love the autonomy and am more productive when not micromanaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,309 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

qwerty13 wrote: »
    Yes! Exactly!

But in my workplace that carry on started last summer, not even in a conversation about wfh being a permanent option. The rest of us are just aghast. We’d asked for wfh for years. I’d say 8 years or so. And now that we have it, we are loving it and want to keep it. But a v noisy few are causing huge thorns about that.

You're picking the wrong enemy. Your problem isn't the small number of people for whom WFH doesn't work. You don't get to look down your nose on people who don't have a spare room or can't afford to heat the house all day or don't have a safe environment.

Your enemy is the management making the decision to block work from home. They're the people you need to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You're picking the wrong enemy. Your problem isn't the small number of people for whom WFH doesn't work. You don't get to look down your nose on people who don't have a spare room or can't afford to heat the house all day or don't have a safe environment.

Your enemy is the management making the decision to block work from home. They're the people you need to target.

I'm working in my kitchen and I love it - closer to the coffee machine :D OH and I are in a two bed place, he uses one bedroom for work and I use the kitchen because the main bedroom functions as sleeping area plus nursery.

The one person in my place of work making the most noise about coming back is a woman whose children have grown and moved out, and who lives in a five bedroom house with her husband. She never misses an opportunity to tell us all she doesn't work for the money etc. and that they each have their own office at home. Despite being an at risk group, she insisted on coming in even during lockdown and a word had to be had with her as far as I understand. She's clearly lonely which is sad, and I do feel for her at times, but I don't think we should make generalisations about the types of people who appreciate WFH and those who prefer the office life.

Advertisement