Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Pride 2003

• 11-05-2003 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

[Non-spam clearance ticket #23A432 from Shinji]

FYI the Dublin Pride site has been updated with the latest info on this year's festival. Details are a bit scetchy still but the dates have been fixed. It's a bit later this year (Parade on Saturday 5 July) to make room for the Special Olympics.

Volunteers are always welcome, just contact volunteer@dublinpride.org.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

This reminds me of an article by theonion

http://www.theonion.com/onion3715/gay_pride_parade.html

I don't necessarily think that pride events are a bad idea, insofar as they help to promote awareness and acceptance of gay culture and personalities. However, I sometimes feel that these events can lead to a false impression of gay people. The danger is that people can begin to assume that gay people that choose to participate in this event are broadly representative of the gay community in general, where this is not usually the case.

For example, many gay people at such events choose to dress up in drag, or in bright, flamboyant colours. While this is a one - off occasion during the year, it can lead to the impression that this is the manner in which gay people conduct themselves in general, which again is an inaccurate perception. I often wonder that, sometimes in the stuggle for acceptance and understanding, the gay community sometimes resort to 'shock and awe' tactics, which subvert that very goal.

There are many (I hesitate to say conservative) gay people who, while being perfectly open with their sexuality would not attend such events as these. I personally may call up to the event in question, not really because I have something to say or prove to the world at large, but because of the supposed atmosphere and because, well, I probably won't have anything better to do :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Swiss you come across as though you are embarassed about Pride 2003 yet you will still attend for the atmosphere.

You'll be there for the entertainment but knock its over-the-top nature.

I'll let you in on a secret. Its a fucking parade ! Its meant to be over the top. Its an in your face over-the-top celebration of diversity of gay life. Its fun , its bright and its a laugh. There'll be drag kings and queens, there'll be the campest of camp entertainers, theres going to be semi-naked men parading about and its going to all be fun.

Do you think the St Patricks Day parade represents Irish Culture and the true face of Irish people ? Irish people don't have green hair 365 days a year, they don't act like total nutters all the time. We don't wear costumes and dress like leprechauns.

Stop being Mr No fun.

If you and other gay men have an issue with people being outrageous then turn up and take part in the parade as an average gay bloke thats not into going in drag and wearing "flamboyant" colours. Turn up and be you. Though people want entertainment.

This as you said is one day a year when people are going overboard. The other 364 days a year are normal gay guy and gal time.

If people want to see what gay people are really like they can look at everyday life. One in ten/one in twenty people are gay. I'm open to all about my sexuality, I think myself and others who are open about theirs are the true representatives of what gay people are about. If people only want to believe that gay life is only what they see at the pride event then thats their loss.

We take the piss out of americans with their ignorance of Irish life when they ask about leprechauns and dressing in green so why not do the same for anyone that thinks we all dress in drag.

Also pride is just about that - PRIDE. Sometimes you do need to be in the face of people and out loud to the world. A lot of people have suffered and were prosecuted to get us the acceptance we have today. Each day that acceptance grows.

If you don't like the flamboyant style of people in the parade just accept it, the way people accept us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'll let you in on a secret. Its a ****ing parade ! Its meant to be over the top.

How I laughed :) hur hur.

I wouldn't attend this thing - why? I'd be mortified if I was spotted... maybe someday when I'm older... maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by swiss
    This reminds me of an article by theonion

http://www.theonion.com/onion3715/gay_pride_parade.html

I don't necessarily think that pride events are a bad idea, insofar as they help to promote awareness and acceptance of gay culture and personalities. However, I sometimes feel that these events can lead to a false impression of gay people. The danger is that people can begin to assume that gay people that choose to participate in this event are broadly representative of the gay community in general, where this is not usually the case.

swiss. You could say much the same thing about St Patrick's day.

Dressing up in green outfits and waving tricolours is an analagous proposition in many ways. At least if society at large gets used to tolerating such over the top stereotypes, it (society) should be less hostile to Joe Soap gay activity.

In theory at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Something I could never understand is gay parades. Why have them? There are no straight parades,

The only reason I can see for having parades is to promote awareness and maybe reduce the amount of homophobes in the area.
    But does the fact of having the parade not put you on the spotlight and segregate you? Also I think that everyone is aware, we only have to look at the television for ten minutes and we see gay people.

Gay people are openly accepted in society(which is the way it should be). Someone should not be judged by their orientation, although there are a few that do. So again, why are there gay parades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

The analogy between gay parades and say St Patricks day parade is a good one. To be honest I hadn't thought of other applicable situations.

If people want to go outside and parade for any reason... even if the only reason is that there is good weather outside, then I have no objection to people having a big celebration with all the trappings - floats, costumes etc.

If the point is to go out and have some fun - like it is with St Patricks day parades then by all means I'm for it. However, I always had the perception that there was a little bit more to gay parades. I feel that some amongst the gay community feel that they have something to prove to the outside world, that they do not have to hide in obscurity because of their sexuality. If this is the reason why people decide to go outside and parade, then I would think it is a bit of a misnomer, for the reasons I have already cited.
    At least if society at large gets used to tolerating such over the top stereotypes, it (society) should be less hostile to Joe Soap gay activity.
    Hmm, the point is that Joe Soap gay activity isn't always related to the depiction of gay activity in parades. Again, if it's meant to be just fun then (shrug) that's fine. However, although it certainly raises awareness of homosexuality and gay culture (and hence acceptance) which is a good thing (tm) it may not be representative of general gay activity, so it could hardly be called informative in that context.

Oh well.

Oh, and I can be Mr Fun. I can be lots of fun!

/me runs off and huffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RedOpalFruit

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    Something I could never understand is gay parades. Why have them? There are no straight parades,

Yep, which is about the only reason why Pride can be anti-constructive sometimes - the straight people see gay ppl at their most flamboyant ;)

Gay people are openly accepted in society(which is the way it should be). Someone should not be judged by their orientation, although there are a few that do. So again, why are there gay parades?

Nah, that's not true. Some people accept gay people. Some people say they do to be PC but don't really hold with 'that sorta thing'. Others are plain ignorant and totally homophobic still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I was talking to someone recently and I just kinda thought of something... Why is it Gay PRIDE? I mean... do you wake up in the morning and go "wow! I sure am so satisfied with my sexual orientation... in fact... I'm PROUD of it!" or do you just get on with life. Basically, are you PROUD or HAPPY? so why not have a Gay Happiness parade, where people could be happy to be gay. Much less aggressive than pride, or so I feel.

I know this is a huge tangent, but I couldn't get the idea of being happy not proud out of my head. Feel free to ignore me.

Advertisement