Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British Military Records

• 15-01-2021 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I'm helping a cousin find her father. She was born in Hannover, Germany in 1955 and we know that her father was British military (possibly Royal Navy but he could have been RAF or army either.). Its been a long difficult search as my cousin only had very distant dna matches on the ancestry type sites.

We have done enough research to know that her father is one of 4 men (brothers). We've contacted a niece of these men who kindly did a dna test. The result was 100% first cousins. My cousins suspected father has 1 son who has refused to do a DNA test and doesn't know where his father was in 1954 /55.

Would anyone have enough knowledge of British military records to point us in the right direction? If we could place one of these men in Hannover in 1954 / 1955, I think that this would be enough to prove who her father is. All suggestions welcome!

P.S. knowing our luck it won't surprise me if all 4 of these men were in Hannover in 1954 /1955. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

WWII records are not really available yet. A known relative of the man will have to contact Kew and make application for his record, presuming he is deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Yes, all 4 of these men are deceased. We aren't sure how to progress with this at all. I can't see these people contacting Kew for her. The family have been lovely but they don't want to cause any upset to their own family. The wife of one of these men is still alive although my cousin was born 10 years before they married.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could send the National Archives at Kew an email and see what they suggest.

I will try this spurious! Thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could you go at it another way and see what British regiments, etc were stationed there in that period - using history books, etc?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hi Pinkypinky,

I have no idea where to check but I will look into it. Any ideas where I should look?

Your username sounds familiar- I'd swear that we were on the maternity board together a few years back.

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd start with a basic google for "British army in Germany post-WW2" and see where that leads you.

You must be mixing me up with someone else - never been on the maternity board.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Found out that I can apply to the British ministry of Defence for information. They won't give me much info on the main suspect until he's 25 years dead which will be in 2025 though. Whats another 4 years in this search!?

Must be someone else with pink in their username Pinky!

Advertisement