Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marriage of older men to younger women in 18-19th century Ireland

• 30-12-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Was it uncommon for a man to marry at the age of 35-45 to a younger women and If so how young did they marry?

Would it also be probable that given the time period for having lots of kids it be reasonable to suggest women had kids up until the age of 50 while the father was be something like 55-60?

The reason I ask is that a potential ancestor who had a kid in 1828 and up until 1846 was his last kid was born in 1787. This would make him 41 in 1828 and 59 in 1846. It seems like I'm in error and the other guy born in 1797 is a better choice.

Any advice on this time period and the culture of marriage and birth would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

It was common for women to die in childbirth and for their husbands to remarry, usually a younger woman who would look after the children & produce more. My great grandfather's first wife died in childbirth in 1882, aged 38. In 1893, he remarried to my great grandmother, then a 38 years old widow, when he was 54. They went on to have 5 children together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Men were often a bit older, particularly in rural areas, because they might be waiting to inherit a farm before marriage.

As KildareFan said, remarriage very common. I have an ancestor who was allegedly 74 on death in 1886 but his first marriage in 1829 probably means he was a little older. His second wife lived to 1907. 7 children with each wife.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

And what about movement. Was it common for people to move from one village to another with what would be considered a 30min car drive for us today? Some people were telling me that for the most part, families often stayed in the one place for centuries unless they'd absolute good reason to move.

It's tough this genealogy stuff. haha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Before bicycles, people generally didn't move beyond 5 miles of their home, unless they were permanently migrating or emigrating.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes there might be a job related reason behind a move from the native area, such as for police, army or railway workers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The age gaps could be quite large with remarriages - my great grandfathers third wife is now +102 years and counting on from the death of his first (she wasn't even born, albeit she is >100)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I know of cases where a young girl would become pregnant, and her family would marry her off to an older man, providing a good dowry. Purchasing a husband for respectability and a name on the birth cert.

Advertisement