Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dry January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

This does not appeal to me...
    Everything in moderation folks....
    hic....hic....hic....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Doing things like dry January like a sheep is only feeding into all the absolute **** who thinks anyone who even smells alcohol is a raging alcoholic. Don’t appease the ****wits and have a few pints in January.

LOL. I certainly haven't suggested 'anyone who even smells alcohol is a raging alcoholic'. And I won't have a few pints because I'm off the booze for the month.

The sheep insult has been used twice in this thread already. It's hardly surprising that more people would choose to not drink in January given the tenancy to drink loads in the preceeding month.

Sheep, **** and fcukwits. Bit over the top considering other people are choosing to not drink and nobody's asking you to do anything.

LOL. I certainly haven't suggested 'anyone who even smells alcohol is a raging alcoholic'. And I won't have a few pints because I'm off the booze for the month.

The sheep insult has been used twice in this thread already. It's hardly surprising that more people would choose to not drink in January given the tenancy to drink loads in the preceeding month.

Sheep, **** and fcukwits. But over the top considering other people are choosing to not drink and nobody's asking you to do anything.

Feeding the notion we’re all alco’s does affect me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Getting sick of all these dry january, sober october etc etc
    If people didnt overdo it in the first place you could enjoy a few brews anytime. Also it must piss off genuine alcoholics with legit challenges to give up booze to have a bunch of **** swanning around feeling great about themselves for not touching a drop for 30 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

The sheep insult has been used twice in this thread already. It's hardly surprising that more people would choose to not drink in January given the tenancy to drink loads in the preceeding month

Have a beer man. Your spelling is all over the shop. Pot-herbs at ya?

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Dry January is such a load of bollocks, complete sheep mentality.

Does my head in when everyone follows suit and you cant find anyone to go to the pub even for a bite to eat and one or two ...or even to come and not have a drink.

All in the gym annoying the real members for the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Yup. Hour relaxation before going on the p1ss... last night in Bangkok. You need to pace yourself here, you wouldn't know as you sit at home in a rain soaked, depressing Ireland (where I'll be in a few days)

no one cares.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    no one cares.

Ah now. Jaysus he’s a great lad altogether, going to Asia like that. And then telling us how much better than Ireland it is? I’ll sleep sounder tonight anyway after being lucky enough to hear that.

Ah now. Jaysus he’s a great lad altogether, going to Asia like that. And then telling us how much better than Ireland it is? I’ll sleep sounder tonight anyway after being lucky enough to hear that.

I suppose its easier for him to pull lady boys over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Is anyone else doing it?

I had a tofu steak last night, washed it down with few kale smoothies.
    Feel wonderful now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Not a chance, I’ve no time for these “dry” months people do.
    Our other top stories:

- Water wet, say experts
    - Pope announces that he practices Roman Catholicism
    - Bear defecates in woods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I dont really get dry January to be honest.

Can you not just go back to the, relatively, healthy relationship that you had with booze pre-December?

I just don't understand the need for drama to be attached to nearly everything that people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can you not just go back to the, relatively, healthy relationship that you had with booze pre-December?

I just don't understand the need for drama to be attached to nearly everything that people do.

But that would be no good for social media!

But that would be no good for social media!

It conjures up the notion that people dont actually like drinking and just do it to get sh*t-faced and see no enjoyment in having a few pints with their mates.

In conclusion - people are odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Sheep, **** and fcukwits. Bit over the top considering other people are choosing to not drink and nobody's asking you to do anything.
    Definitely no need for the aggressive language but I suppose there just doesn't seem to be any point to it. As said, try not to over-do it all times (with exceptions like Christmas) instead of ruling it out completely for the dreariest month of the year.

Getting sick of all these dry january, sober october etc etc
    If people didnt overdo it in the first place you could enjoy a few brews anytime. Also it must piss off genuine alcoholics with legit challenges to give up booze to have a bunch of **** swanning around feeling great about themselves for not touching a drop for 30 days.

What is it that annoys you specify? Other people overdoing it or other people not drinking for a month? And why does either annoy you?

I don't think I need to worry about upsetting alcoholics because I'm choosing not to drink this month. They're separate things as far as I'm concerned. If someone said they were planning to lose a few kilos by cutting out takeaways, you probably wouldn’t tell them to worry about pissing off people with eating disorders.

I think the people who are opposed to the idea of dry January are building it up into something a lot bigger than it actually is.

It’s just not drinking for a month after overindulgence over Christmas. It’s not being a sheep, or a wanker or trying to piss off alcoholics or drive publicans out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

All in the gym annoying the real members for the next 3 weeks.

They subsidize our membership for the year though, only have to put up them for 3-5 weeks max :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Dry January was a great help to me.

Ive always drank too much.
    About 5 years ago at the age of 35 i said id give it a go.I was in a heap as usual after Christmas,id never gone a week nevermind a month without drink since i was 16.

I managed to get through it and actually didnt drink til mid feb of that year.The clarity of thought and health benefits were amazing and i learned a lot from it.

I did it every year since and always enjoy it.I also still enjoy pints and even getting hammered from time to time. Im not half as much of a p1sshead as i was and my life is a million times better off for it and Dry January was the first step.

Top tips Ive learned.
    Dont avoid the pub.If the lads are going out Ill go too,I love the non alco beers and just stay in rounds even.Its only after about 3-4 pints that the sh1te talk will start and at this point you hop in your car and are home and fresh for the next day.

Go to a show/match.Im a big comedy fan but probably go to the most shows in jan.A great night out where youre guarenteed to be laughing and enjoying it and deffo not missing the booze.

Treat anybody who questions you or tries to force drink on you with the disdain they deserve.

Thats just my experience.

Of course you can go back to the relatively healthy relationship that you had with booze pre-December, nobody has asked you to do anything.

It’s interesting how many people are annoyed that a few people would choose not to drink for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The amount of insults being tossed about on here. Imagine getting this mad over other people not drinking. I do dry january. Have done for the past few years. There's no harm at all in having a bit of a reset after the excess of christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

no one cares.
    I suppose its easier for him to pull lady boys over there.

Ladies, begrudging will get ye nowhere.

Ladyboys all over the shop, thankfully they tend to leave you alone when you're with the GF.

Are ladyboys a turn on for you... must be, since you brought it up. Sicko

Of course you can go back to the relatively healthy relationship that you had with booze pre-December, nobody has asked you to do anything.

It’s interesting how many people are annoyed that a few people would choose not to drink for the month.

I think it's fairly clear that people aren't annoyed about others choosing not to drink and are more annoyed about the fact that it has become a social media fad whereby it seems to be all that people can talk about.

It also displays a really unhealthy relationship with alcohol and to be honest if you feel that you have to go off booze for a period of time after how it has made you fell over christmas then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Definitely no need for the aggressive language but I suppose there just doesn't seem to be any point to it. As said, try not to over-do it all times (with exceptions like Christmas) instead of ruling it out completely for the dreariest month of the year.

The point is personal reasons like health and a bit of a challenge to stay off booze, perspective on the heavy drinking of the last few weeks, filling the time list to boozing and hangover with other things.

I don’t expect you to get any benefit from me doing dry January. It would be a bit of an unreasonable expectation for you to get any benefit from it. But I also think it’s weird that anyone would oppose someone else choosing not to drink. Nobody has asked you to do anything so you’re completely in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ladyboys all over the shop, thankfully they tend to leave you alone when you're with the GF.

How much did ya pay for the GF?

iv told you before, you can't call your right hand your girlfriend.

honestly though no one cares if you are in some third world country drinking from a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The point is personal reasons like health and a bit of a challenge to stay off booze, perspective on the heavy drinking of the last few weeks, filling the time list to boozing and hangover with other things.

I don’t expect you to get any benefit from me doing dry January. It would be a bit of an unreasonable expectation for you to get any benefit from it. But I also think it’s weird that anyone would oppose someone else choosing not to drink. Nobody has asked you to do anything so you’re completely in the clear.

Wont somebody please think of the pubs?

I think it's fairly clear that people aren't annoyed about others choosing not to drink and are more annoyed about the fact that it has become a social media fad whereby it seems to be all that people can talk about.

It also displays a really unhealthy relationship with alcohol and to be honest if you feel that you have to go off booze for a period of time after how it has made you fell over christmas then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

I think it's fairly clear people are getting annoyed about it for whatever reason.

I think it's been fairly well established that Irish people tend towards having an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. That not news.

Where are you getting the idea that it's all that people can talk about? I come across ideas that don't interest me all the time. I just disattenuate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Never gave up drink for any period of time, I go for a few pints usually on either saturday night or sunday afternoon but not even every week.

I enjoy a few pints, just because it's the first month of the year doesn't magically change that.

For me food is far more of a problem, I get to the gym 4-5 times a week but I'm only making very slow progress because I do eat too much crap (lunch and dinners are healthy but too much crisps and sweets).

I think it's far more important to get your diet right and be healthier for 12 months rather than just going on 'dry january' and thinking that's the answer to all your prayers.

If you think a habit is doing you harm, try to give it up altogether rather than suspending it for a few weeks!

HBC08 wrote: »
    How much did ya pay for the GF?

Your oul' one will tell you herself once I return her :pac:

• Advertisement

iv told you before, you can't call your right hand your girlfriend.

honestly though no one cares if you are in some third world country drinking from a bucket.

You obviously care, you're replying :pac:

You think Bangkok / Thailand is 3rd world? Do you live up a mountain or something? Congrats on most idiotic post of 2020 so far!

Advertisement