Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

By the time you complete a switch avants rates will have increased id imagine , they are very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You are obviously at close to 90% loan to value.

The finance Ireland 3year rate is not great, but maybe see if a current valuation will bring you to 80% LTV and go for their 10 or 15 year fixed rate of 3.15% which is very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Ye that has crossed my mind. Ye says after year our LTV is 87%. I know house prices in general in the last year. Not sure if they our in Dublin 9 would have increased enough to bring down to LTV 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Knowing the rates and using the formula provided allows anybody to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Do you know Bank of Ireland's cost of funds rate from when you agreed a fixed rate and today? I doubt if anyone asked what the cost of funds rate was when they fixed the rates. As "cost of funds" rates for most banks (it varies by bank depending on what the market thinks of the risk) is higher now than it has been for the past few years, it is likely that a break fee is zero for anyone that fixed more than a few months ago

lets say you have 400k mortgage over 30 years. This is costing €1612/month at present

At 3.35% it would go to €1762, but you could have this fixed until 2037

If ECB rates move to 2.25% (this is very likely and would still be considered low), mortgage rates would range 4.5%-5.5%. At 5% your payment would go to €2147.

If you think logically, 5% is a 50% higher interest rate than 3.35%

I'd also check the valuation - remember you probably agreed a price several months before you actually purchased it and it may have moved up that little extra. Check propertypriceregister.ie to see what similar houses have gone for locally in recent weeks - if you can show 3 or 4 examples that would give you 80% ltv, its worth getting valued. (it's worth €300 a year to you in lower payments and probably will only cost €200)

• Advertisement

Interbank rates are available online. They will correlate to the actual bank ones. It's never failed me. There's even a thread on ask about Money where some nice fellow will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Now might be a good time for a revaluation anyone who think they might be close to a lower LTV bracket.

Residential property prices up 14.4% in May - CSO (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a solicitor with which to break with? Wasn't impressed with original solicitor a few years ago, any brokers posters could recommend? Has anyone had any experience with ezfees? They charge 60 Euros and claim to find the cheapest solicitor.

Or just spend 15 minutes and email 10/15 solicitors and ask for a fixed fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

When you say break I assume you mean switch? If you are only breaking out of a fixed rate to re-fix you don't need a solicitor.

I'm using ezfees. Worked well for me & hopefully be finished soon. You pay the fee & They assign you a solicitor. The solicitor they gave us is in Waterford, not sure if they use the same guy everytime. Was a bit of a pain because we had to drive to Waterford & back to sign so we could deliver the loan pack back to Avant in time to make the reduced rate. Normally they said they post the documents & you sign over a zoom call.

Solicitor was very good though. They knew we were in a hurry so did everything asap & then I drove to his house to sign so we could get it done.

They were the cheapest quote as well. I had contacted ~ 10 solicitors. Most were 1400+ & ezfees were 1242 (+60). I realised after signing up that another solicitor I contacted would have worked out the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Yes, you're right - it's switching as opposed to breaking that we need the solicitor.

It'd be awkward for us to have to go to, say Waterford, in order to sign - that's kind of putting me off ezfees even though it worked out reasonable from a financial point of view it sounds like?

If I had of known I'd be assigned a solicitor in Waterford I probably wouldn't have gone with them. We did only have to drive down because we needed the pack back to Avant the next day, so it was the only option we had. It was a difference of ~2100 in interest payments if we didn't get the forms back on time.

We saved €86 in solicitor fees compared to the cheapest quote we got. The main draw would be not having to contact the solicitors yourself. I'd use them again if I was switching again, hopefully won't have to though.

Some solicitors had fees on their websites but when I contacted them the quotes were higher. A lot didn't even answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimbobo

We've just been through this ourselves and you will definitely need a BER certificate for the green mortgage.

Our property was F rated when we bought it. We finished renovating earlier this year and had our BER assessment done which brought our BER up to a B1 which we were delighted with. No brainer for us to go for the green mortgage after all the expense of renovating the house!

Tbh, it was a bit of a hassle finding a BER assessor. We rang around a bunch of them (found on Google) but lots either didn't answer their phones or were too busy to 'fit us in'. Maybe it was a busy period, but we ended up using www.bercert.com which was amazing. You basically submit your property details and then you'll get quotes back from the assessors with their availability. Would definitely recommend using them.

Good luck with everything. It's definitely worth the effort to go for the green mortgage and save some coin!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭andydurnin

quick question, hope someone can answer. would it be possible to pay in an extra €50 a week into my mortgage account by setting up a standing order. if so, would it show up in my account each week?

Also would it be worth doing this?

That depends on your lender. Kbc allowed 10% overpayment each year. I was paying 250/month extra.

Avant allow 10% extra per year but as far as I know you can only overpay twice a year

Is it worth it? Harder to answer but easy answer is yes, overpaying will reduce your balance & you will pay less interest but there may be better options to use your money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I think KBC only allow overpayment of 10% of the balance at the time of fixing over the course of the entire fixed period, not each year? Certainly that's the wording on any documentation I can find online, and indeed what I've been told/warned any time I spoke to staff about overpaying. Its yet another reason (on top of a not-very-beneficial interest rate) why I wouldn't consider fixing with them for any longer than 5 years (realistically I'll be choosing between 3 and 5), even in the current climate, as my current rate will probably see me run out of "capacity" for overpayment after about 4 years, let alone 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ended up moving off the 2% tracker to fixing at 2.8% for 10 years. Been so lucky to have the tracker for 15 years it almost feels dirty dropping it, but if we didn't we'd certainly be paying more by the end of the year!

Our solicitor is paying off our KBC mortgage today. Break fee was 0 but they calculated the redemption figure incorrectly. Instead of deducting the payment waiting to be cleared from the current balance they added it so we are paying more then should be due. The solicitor asked for an updated redemption figure but didn't hear back from KBC so he's using a figure from the start of June so we have 2 payments & 500 overpayment that will need to be refunded.

I'm so glad this is all over with for me, was surprisingly stressful for what I Thought should be a straight forward switch. Mostly down to trying to get it done before Avant raised their rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Draw down with Avant today. Managed to get the 1.95% fixed for 7years just in time. Started switch in march, just over 4months. Had to resubmit a few payslips as they went out of date, but that was it. Didn't think we'd get it done in time as some colleagues were waiting close to 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We did similar. Gave up a 2.1% and fixed for 5 years at 2.8%. Kinda regretting now not fixing for 7 years at 3%. No longer options available at our current bank. Although in a few months time we might switch, if we're quoted a 0 break fee.

Has anyone on a tracker/variable received correspondence from their banks yet about their interest rate increasing? Or has it not been confirmed yet?

• Advertisement

If you are thinking of switching in a few months why don't you just do it now? It took us 3 months to switch to Avant & only just got it completed before the rates went up.

If you leave it for 3-4 months to start switching then there could be another rate increase before you close. There is talk of an increase on the 21st July & again in September.

There are much better rates then what you arenon but delaying switching might be shooting yourself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I just started a new job, so I need to wait until I'm through the probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

Applied to switch my mortgage to Avant on 7th of April. Just got my approval letter yesterday. Had applied for 15 years, letter is offering me 25 years. Also lost out on lower rate of 2.25% as it has taken them 71 working days to get back to me, rather than the 10 working days they had on their website when I applied. Just a warning for anyone else dealing with Avant at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

That's mental and while I know a lot of people have similar stories, we sent the last of our docs to our broker 22nd June and got AIP on 12th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paynie

I switched from EBS to Avant this year....I rang them up so that could give me my breakage fee using the formula, and they told me my exit fee was zero "due to the current low cost of money", so its worth ringing up to make sure, you maybe lucky like I was....I was 3 years in to 5 year fixed 3.0% with 219k left, switched over to a 2.1%, 10 year fixed. It did take a little while to go through, but everyone is switching at the moment. My broker told me that in 1 week he had sent 12 applications to switch over to Avant.

Our broker told us they put through more mortgage applications in yge last 2 months than all last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Not sure what I think of the Avant switching process - we started our switch with the broker at beginning of April and drew down at end of last week (got the 1.95% on 7 years), so probably a good experience overall noting the increased level of applications they had to deal with.

We had everything across to the broker by 6th May and then AIP by 26th May. However still a lot of work needed to close it out, between the valuation to get to a loan offer and then for the loan offer lots of small things like home insurance updates, various building compliance letters and according to our solicitor some strange/unrealistic requests for our type of build. Took us from 26 may loan offer to 15 July to close it out, and we had most things to hand!

I think if you don't have a deadline to try and meet then it's an ok process, but things do get a bit more stressful quickly if you're trying to drawdown by a certain date, so start early if you can!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Wondering, we have the 1.95% with Avant for another 4 years. If we decided we wanted to change to say 10 years fixed with Avant at the higher rate, would we have to go through the whole application process and solicitor etc or just fill in a form to change the term? TIA for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

very likely just break with 1 form and refix with another form. Usually the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭glen123

I had to do this several times with EBS. Usually it's just a phone call to them to check the breakage fee (was always 0 in my case) , they post a form to sign to fix at the new term and rate + a letter from us to confirm we want to exit the current fixed agreement (to be returned with the signed form). Very straight forward.

Advertisement