Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free State Army Records/Immigration Records

Options
  • 20-08-2010 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭

My father and I have been researching our families history on and off for the past two years, recently we have been doing a lot more work and have got stuck on two parts. My father's Aunt married a Private in the Free State Army and he died in 1923 after he got shot in Cashel, I was wondering where we could get information on him like a record and would it contain anything about his wife and kids?

The second part we have got stuck at is my father's great Aunt who immigrated to America. We were wondering what different immigration passenger lists are available that would help our search. I have managed to track down my great grandmother who immigrated through the Ellis Island website but had no luck with the other members.

Any information would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    The second part we have got stuck at is my father's great Aunt who immigrated to America.

What year did she immigrate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

First question: there's been a lot of talk about this recently on this board so have a read of the recent threads. However, all the evidence would suggest you need to be next of kin to get these records, so you'll need father's cousins, or whoever to get access.

Second question: Ancestry has passenger lists. There's also a 6(?) volume passenger list book that you can find in libraries.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Thanks for the information Pinkypinky I will look into that.

I found her on the census in 1900 and 1905 and it says she immigrated in 1888.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Thanks for the information Pinkypinky I will look into that.

I found her on the census in 1900 and 1905 and it says she immigrated in 1888.

If you found her on a 1900 census then you probably already have access to a paid-site which might also have the passenger lists.

If not then you can post her name and DoB here and we'll try to find her in the Ancestry.com records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

This is a good free site if you want to find out about ancestors who migrated:

http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/

There's a category under migration and naturalisation, it'll give you the date of arrival, the age of the person and the ship name in many instances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Thank you for all the information, I found loads of stuff on Familysearch.org and I subscribed to ancestry which had loads more things. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jake 74

My father and I have been researching our families history on and off for the past two years, recently we have been doing a lot more work and have got stuck on two parts. My father's Aunt married a Private in the Free State Army and he died in 1923 after he got shot in Cashel, I was wondering where we could get information on him like a record and would it contain anything about his wife and kids?
    http://www.military.ie/dfhq/archives/arch.htm
    this is the archives page on defence forces website the f.a.q will give you some direction,personal records are held under data protection laws,so im not sure if you have to be next of kin or a descendent?
    if he took active part in war of independence he would have got ira pension department of defence in galway have a section in the pensions dept who deal with this
    for the military archives you can research on behalf of someone but you must have written permission from there n.o.k
    hope some of this helps

Advertisement