Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Our weekly Teams work chat has a bit at the end where we say what TV we’re watching.

I’m watching The Terror on RTE - loving in, dark though so far.

Got told “I saw the first one of that. I can’t believe it was made - no one of colour and an all male cast!!!”

I told her it was set on a exploration ship looking for the North West Passage in the 1840s. “So you’re saying no minorities could have done that ???”

You can’t win with these folks!!!

Sure, weren't we, a minority group within the British Empire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Well apparently according to some “recent arrivals” we made a bundle off slavery!!!

Well apparently according to some “recent arrivals” we made a bundle off slavery!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Our weekly Teams work chat has a bit at the end where we say what TV we’re watching.

Got told “I saw the first one of that. I can’t believe it was made - no one of colour and an all male cast!!!”

I told her it was set on a exploration ship looking for the North West Passage in the 1840s. “So you’re saying no minorities could have done that ???”

They would be totally delighted with Mary Queen of Scots on Netflix then, which I watched last night. In historical context, the amount of people of colour in that film is a bit distracting. You are trying to imagine the storyline back in the 1500's but the film's Director seem to just include black actors in scenes just to boost the inclusivity quota. There was one scene where the Queen of Scotland and the Queen of England met at a secret location and the only other 3 people in that clip were people of colour. It just detracts from the believability of what they were trying to portray.

For the craic, I just checked some fun facts on Wikipedia about the movie:
    The movie portrays the English ambassador to the Scottish Court, Lord Thomas Randolph, as a black man, which he was not. Gemma Chan's character is Elizabeth Hardwick, who in real life was white.
    But it is all explained here:
    Director Josie Rourke told the L.A. Times: "I was really clear, I would not direct an all-white period drama."
    Jesus wept.

Damn white people history .............. with all their white people :pac:

• Well apparently according to some “recent arrivals” we made a bundle off slavery!!!

Funny how the non-western (Africans, Arabs, etc) people at the ports which gathered and launched the slaves into other countries are never accused of the same. Nah.. collective responsibility only extends to white people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Our weekly Teams work chat has a bit at the end where we say what TV we’re watching.

Do you continue the conversation? What was your response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

inforfun wrote: »

My response to this proposed idea is basically the same as this tweet. Now maybe people are just joking about removing him but if not, the tweet basically.

561-FD119-3642-463-E-BEAC-0-C26975-BD516.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

They always seem to skip the part that is was Africans who captured their fellow Africans and sold them to the white man for slavery . Lots of Africans made a fortune and still are off the slave trade . But that wouldn't sound to good when you're trying to race bait a crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Harold Ford Jr. is a former U.S. congressman who served from 1997–2007 in the United States House of Representatives as a member of the Democratic Party.

He was recently interviewed about the incitement of insurrection with President Trump.
    This is a picture from the interview, notice anything?

Harold-Ford-Jr-Mao-Painting.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

biko wrote: »
    Harold Ford Jr. is a former U.S. congressman who served from 1997–2007 in the United States House of Representatives as a member of the Democratic Party.

He was recently interviewed about the incitement of insurrection with President Trump.

Thats nothing biko, I'm sure many Democrats think Herr Trumps office looks like below

7581050.jpg?type=article-full

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

And their ancestors probably sold them to the white man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He says it’s a rental house. Well, Mister, I took down the pictures that were hanging in my apartment when I moved in, stored them for the landlord and hung up my own things, and the art that was in my apartment when I moved in was inoffensive. I cannot imagine moving into a place and thinking “Ah grand, I’ll leave the picture of Mao up”. People might think it was his, even in a rental place. So I’m not sure I believe his story.

• They always seem to skip the part that is was Africans who captured their fellow Africans and sold them to the white man for slavery . Lots of Africans made a fortune and still are off the slave trade . But that wouldn't sound to good when you're trying to race bait a crowd
    Like this one!
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752
    Amid the global debate about race relations, colonialism and slavery, some of the Europeans and Americans who made their fortunes in trading human beings have seen their legacies reassessed, their statues toppled and their names removed from public buildings.

Nigerian journalist and novelist Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani writes that one of her ancestors sold slaves, but argues that he should not be judged by today's standards or values.
    Interesting that they're not so fast to condemn people of their own kind when they are involved in the same actions as others they are quick to condemn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The Scottish Conservatives have dropped a Holyrood candidate over what they called "unacceptable comments".

his comments were in response to a Channel 4 News piece featuring foodbanks.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55673808
    "We have no real grasp of just how ridiculously overweight the population is.

"I'm not saying that every single person who claims to be really hungry and is reliant on charity is also very overweight.

"But what I am saying is if Channel 4 News is having a reasonable go at showing the reality of food bank usage, then we know the people that they filmed are far from starving. If anything their biggest risk is not starvation, it's diabetes."

On Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford, who has called on Boris Johnson to review the UK government's free school meals policy, Mr Ross said: "Has Marcus Rashford stood for election to anything? Not that I'm aware of."

Elmo wrote: »
    Do you continue the conversation? What was your response?

First went on mute to go “Ffs..!!!l” but I said there were loads of firsts that minorities can achieve but that crew were white - and that’s how they should be cast.

statesaver wrote: »
    And their ancestors probably sold them to the white man.

No probably , they were up to their eyeballs in it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-the-slave-traders-were-african-11568991595

Like this one!
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752

Interesting that they're not so fast to condemn people of their own kind when they are involved in the same actions as others they are quick to condemn.

It's like BLM , they'll march , protest and riot over the handful of police killings every year but you won't hear a peep out of them , when thousands are shot dead including dozens of kids in gun violence in their own communities annually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Come on. This wins ''woke-ism of the day'' :)

https://twitter.com/toriajayne/status/1349850064978649090?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well if it doesn't win, I wouldn't like to see what beats it.

• Advertisement

She’s got a point - we can try to breastfeed too.

K the child won’t get any nourishment and Tusla will likely pay a call but MY RIIIIIGHTS!!!

/sarcasm

• NIMAN wrote: »
    Well if it doesn't win, I wouldn't like to see what beats it.
    Lactating moobs!

Gruffalux wrote: »

Hahaha.... I hope he/she hasn't reproduced . Imagine being around that level of crazy and having a normal childhood

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are you actuality spending your time trawling through Twitter just to find things to get offended by just so you can highlight them and feel invalidated?

You do realize thats the **** that the woke crowd do that winds people up in the first place...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• It's like BLM , they'll march , protest and riot over the handful of police killings every year but you won't hear a peep out of them , when thousands are shot dead including dozens of kids in gun violence in their own communities annually.

Sure you will, but the blame/responsibility won't be placed on Black people. It's happening because of hundreds of other reasons all aimed squarely on how White people have treated them. It's the same with the rate of fatherless families in the US.. it's not a problem to be solved, but an indication of how White people have screwed Black people, and their culture.

Black people are victims. As such, they'll (as a group) never be held accountable or even partially responsible for what's happened. It's always someone else to blame. To say otherwise is victim blaming, and also, in this case, racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The Scottish Conservatives have dropped a Holyrood candidate over what they called "unacceptable comments".

his comments were in response to a Channel 4 News piece featuring foodbanks.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55673808

So this is how deep the rabbit hole goes. First it's hate speech but now it's morphing like a virus into 'unacceptable remarks'.

Ben stiller in meet the parents,would beg to differ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I see Twitter is issuing 'unsafe link' warnings linked in Twitter posts.

I'm so relieved Twitter is looking out for me in case I get radicalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

*u*k me....

Such nonsense. When is the world going to fight back against this bullxxxt..?
    Next thing they'll be telling us antibiotics work on viruses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

.. .. ..

I'm curious as to whether or not to seek professional opinion because people like this give make me want to.. 'end them' shall we say :mad:

How can someone be so stupid.. .. .. I don't know why i'm even surprised, humanity's capacity for stupidity is infinite, but this is.. .. .. Pfff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement