Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart TV help

• 28-07-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

I'm in need of a new TV, I'm looking for a smart TV that will allow me to have apps such as 4OD and BBC iPlayer...

Also something that will allow me to install third party apps like apps like APK apps etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I'm in need of a new TV, I'm looking for a smart TV that will allow me to have apps such as 4OD and BBC iPlayer...

Also something that will allow me to install third party apps like apps like APK apps etc

BBC iplayer is not available in normal circumstances in RoI, 4OD is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

decor58 wrote: »
    BBC iplayer is not available in normal circumstances in RoI, 4OD is.

I know its not available under normal circumstances...I'm looking for a tv that allows me to install apps Sure 4oD and APK apps too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I know its not available under normal circumstances...I'm looking for a tv that allows me to install apps Sure 4oD and APK apps too

You could do that with an Amazon firestick via HDMI in TV .

My TV is 2013 and works perfectly.

You could do that with an Amazon firestick via HDMI in TV .

My TV is 2013 and works perfectly.

Well current tv isn't working, so in need of a new tv anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Former Coach

I have a Samsung smart TV. I can access the RTÉ player but not the TG4 or TV3 ones- when I do a search they don’t appear. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

I have a Samsung smart TV. I can access the RTÉ player but not the TG4 or TV3 ones- when I do a search they don’t appear. Any suggestions?

My Phillips is the same, only has a very limited range of apps...

I think i need an android based tv, is that something available here(ROI)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

Pretty much all smart TVs have those two apps. You'll need to setup the UK as your region when setting it up.

Also iPlayer is geoblocked so you'd need to workaround that

dubrov wrote: »
    Pretty much all smart TVs have those two apps. You'll need to setup the UK as your region when setting it up.

Also iPlayer is geoblocked so you'd need to workaround that

As long as i can install a VPN on the TV i'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would you not just consider an Android box that you can install what you like, as opposed to being limited by the TV's android bit that may not be updated that often?

the_syco wrote: »
    Would you not just consider an Android box that you can install what you like, as opposed to being limited by the TV's android bit that may not be updated that often?

Was considering android box, before the tv packed it in...was hoping to get an all in one...

Is there any android boxes that you would recommend...Just need to install a VPN and streaming apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Former Coach

My Phillips is the same, only has a very limited range of apps...

I think i need an android based tv, is that something available here(ROI)

No idea! I would have expected that a Smart TV that can provide RTÉ player should be able to also provide TG4 and Virgin Media players....

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

As long as i can install a VPN on the TV i'll be grand

Hi- I just ( 2 hours ago) got an android TV delivered.
    Yes , number of apps available is limited, but VPN wise- I have just installed PIA from the play store.
    4OD is not available on playstore, RTE player is. But yes , side loading is always an option.. Haven't tried though :)

Advertisement