Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Karl Lagerfeld R.I.P

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He was quoted as saying "She is a little too fat but she has a beautiful face and a divine voice" - not bad really.

He himself lost over 90 lbs so probably thinks a lot of people need to lost some weight (which is true).
    He was a high end fashion designer, half of those brands don't go past size 10 or 12. I would say he thought about 90% of people are too fat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

zapitastas wrote: »
    No seems that he had an issue with muslims

Sounds like he accidentally offended some Muslims, apologised and the whole thing blew over from his wiki. Sensible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Such a miserable looking dude in all of his photos. A picture tells a thousand words. Nuff said.

Never recovered from his boyfriend of 18 years dying of aids 30 years ago

Turns out was a Wise choice never having a sexual relationship with him in those 18 years together

He always wanted to marry his cat and had no real interest in sex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

He was an immensely talented designer, photographer and entrepreneur.
    I liked his reinvention of the Chanel brand, his designs are beautiful and mostly wearable. Sadly not for me, since I simply don't have the money to invest in expensive designer wear, nor do I have the opportunity to swan around in Chanel (apart from perfume).

He was very arrogant at times (privileged upbringing did it's part) and could be very rude, but he certainly wasn't anti-Muslim, as someone mentioned above. He criticised Merkel vor letting in one million refugees and thereby enabling the right wingers to enter the parliament. Though he retracted that critique later.

He despised people who wear sweatpants outside actually doing sports, saying that they let themselves down. I agree with that, though.

He was a worldwide cultural icon and very successful in what he was doing. You don't get there by being approachable and down to earth.

I wonder what is going to happen to his cat Chouprette that had her own 2 chambermaids and a personal chef. It must be the most privileged cat ever (beside my cat :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

A piss poor Hollywood biopic can't be too far off then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

He had a preference for skinny models, and when a German publication decided to use ordinary women instead, he was annoyed.
    He said that its decision was driven by overweight women who did not like to be reminded of their weight issues.

To quote him,
    "These are fat mummies, sitting with their bags of crisps, in front of the television, saying that thin models are ugly."

Called a spade a spade.
    Simple.

I always thought he looked a little like Billy Bob Thornton.

He had a preference for skinny models, and when a German publication decided to use ordinary women instead, he was annoyed.
    He said that its decision was driven by overweight women who did not like to be reminded of their weight issues.

To quote him,
    "These are fat mummies, sitting with their bags of crisps, in front of the television, saying that thin models are ugly."

Called a spade a spade.
    Simple.

I always thought he looked a little like Billy Bob Thornton.

An even more wasted BB Thornton! He was very talented and totally of his time and place. I could never imagine Karl schlepping around Tesco, or filling his car with diesel. One of the last of a dying breed, in a very rarified area.

I didn't know that about his cat though, it's a little obscene in it's excess but at the same time totally unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Candie wrote: »
    I didn't know that about his cat though, it's a little obscene in it's excess but at the same time totally unsurprising.

It's what cats usually expect and certainly don't consider as over the top or obscene, didn't you know? :D

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2014/sep/01/choupette-private-life-very-public-cat-karl-lagerfeld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just was reading about him there.

Seemed like good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I've used the Chanel deodorant and shampoo for years - didn't realise he was their guy.
    Anyone who loves cats can't be all bad. RIP Karl.

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »
    It's what cats usually expect and certainly don't consider as over the top or obscene, didn't you know? :D

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2014/sep/01/choupette-private-life-very-public-cat-karl-lagerfeld

Choupette is very pretty, totally spoilworthy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I always thought he was rather cool.

I always preferred Versace myself though (he says whilst wearing a pair of Dunnes joggers and Pennys's hoody)

AllForIt wrote: »
    I was thought we was rather cool.

I always preferred Versace myself though (he says whilst wearing a pair of Dunnes joggers and Pennys's hoody)

He was very cool, but exquisitely tasteful. Versace was but a vulgarian parvenu compared to Mr Lagerfeld, with their flashy prints and clashing colors!

Nobody does prints and paisleys like Versace, instantly recognizable. The pre-Donatella House of Versace was more creative than the post-Donatella, imo.

Says she in the Barbie t-shirt and PJ bottoms. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

A light went out today. Mr Lagerfeld brought colour and happiness to a lot of people. The world will be a little less crazy and less interesting without him. May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Are there people confusing John Galliano with Lagerfeld on this thread or did both men have the same anti-semetic outburst?

Karl Lagerfeld was against the German government allowing Muslim migrants into the country, he regarded them as enemies of the Jewish community.

He upset members of both the Muslim and Jewish community with his comments in a tv interview a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No real interest in fashion myself, but despite that I'd want to have been living under a rock not to know who Karl Lagerfeld was. There's an interesting documentary series on Netflix called "7 Days Out", detailing the last 7 days before a particular event. One episode is a Chanel fashion show, and it's one of the better episodes in the series imo. Lagerfeld comes across as a pretty decent sort in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Old guy dies at the decent age of 85. RIP and all but in the great scheme of things what of importance did he actually contribute to the world? Silly looking clothes on very skinny ladies walking down a catwalk. Materialistic and utterly superficial nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

His cat is going is going to be in the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Old guy dies at the decent age of 85. RIP and all but in the great scheme of things what of importance did he actually contribute to the world? Silly looking clothes on very skinny ladies walking down a catwalk. Materialistic and utterly superficial nonsense.

how philistine. you could belittle almost any artistic accomplishments in that manner. sure all picasso did was paint pictures with funny looking backward faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Zaph wrote: »
    Lagerfeld comes across as a pretty decent sort in it.

The people who knew him or were involved in that work and in the fashion industry all seem to have liked him and speak well of him.

• Advertisement

I would say he was an eccentric and he probably got a nickname Kaiser for a reason. He seemed to be a workaholic with huge drive, creativity and business acumen. The latter one is often missing among more creative people. But there was drama and spats around him too.

I love high fashion, I have no wish to buy expensive clothing but I admire imagination and detail that goes into it. He was not the most creative designer but he was best at creating narrative that kept what could easily be boring old tweed jackets current and Chanel logo highly desirable. It enabled them to sell handbags or perfume to masses and that's where big fashion brands make their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Come to think of it Mr Lager sort of dressed like a distinguished German Army Officer, circa 1940.

Very stylish individual.

Nah that was the bould Hugo Boss.
    Especially true if it was Waffen SS uniform ;)
    BuboBubo wrote: »
    Karl Lagerfeld was against the German government allowing Muslim migrants into the country, he regarded them as enemies of the Jewish community. ...

Sounds like a sensible lad.

And soccer is just a load of guys in shorts chasing a ball.

Life would be very colourless and dull if we didn't have frivolous things to distract us from the greyness of routine. The world is a duller place without outrageous or creative characters and there's no shame in enjoying sports or fashion or music even if it serves no other purpose but to entertain and amuse us.

Creativity is underrated, our world would be very plain and depressing if everything had to have a practical application in order to exist. People need fun and beauty and colour in their lives. Whether it's just looking at beautiful clothes or driving a beautiful car or watching a herd of men chase a ball or hit it with a bat. We're more than just grey beings who require nothing more than the utilitarian to survive, it's one of the things that makes us special among the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Maybe next time don't bother opening a thread, hitting reply and then typing something out. I've gotten into the practice myself. Such a relief not caring about stuff I don't care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I was going to say the same. He made excessively expensive clothes for skinny people. Hardly the passing of any note unless you are super rich or he owed you money.

Worldwide cultural icon, ffs!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

He was often referred to as "Karl der Grosse" (Charles the Great / Charlemagne) in the French and German press and he certainly deserved the title. He was such an iconic, larger than life and instantly recognizable designer, exactly what you need for a big fashion house like Chanel. The world is a poorer place for the loss of this colourful character. RIP

I was going to say the same. He made excessively expensive clothes for skinny people. Hardly the passing of any note unless you are super rich or he owed you money.

Worldwide cultural icon, ffs!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Under him Chanel had a yearly turnover of just under 10bn and profit of 1bn in 2017. I would think quiet a few people made a living because of him.

High fashion influences and reflects the zeitgeist, your tracksuits are very much influenced by what high fashion does. He was also accomplished photographer, a ferocious reader and he published complete work of Nietszhe in German.

So yea he most certainly was a cultural icon and an intellectual. But no he never played for Liverpool if that is the only way some measure greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

You, Karl Lagerfeld, are my hero.
    Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

And soccer is just a load of guys in shorts chasing a ball.

Life would be very colourless and dull if we didn't have frivolous things to distract us from the greyness of routine. The world is a duller place without outrageous or creative characters and there's no shame in enjoying sports or fashion or music even if it serves no other purpose but to entertain and amuse us.

Creativity is underrated, our world would be very plain and depressing if everything had to have a practical application in order to exist. People need fun and beauty and colour in their lives. Whether it's just looking at beautiful clothes or driving a beautiful car or watching a herd of men chase a ball or hit it with a bat. We're more than just grey beings who require nothing more than the utilitarian to survive, it's one of the things that makes us special among the animals.

Ah keep your knickers on there ffs. I didn't realize I was going to create a platform for a dramatic virtue signalling thanks seeker of a post. I said nothing about sport?! Never had a go at the concept of creativity or any of the other beautiful things you're bleating about. I'm all for creative expression to an extent but the whole fashion world thing is a load of oul elitist, airhead shyte.

• Advertisement

Ah keep your knickers on there ffs. I didn't realize I was going to create a platform for a dramatic virtue signalling thanks seeker of a post.

I bet this sounded good in your head. It's a complete nonsense though.

Advertisement