Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New fertiliser spreader

Options
  • 18-02-2019 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Any recommendations on makes as old spreader has packed it in , could be repaired but I want to change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭older by the day

Get something easy to put on, i have a bigger Amazone and its a curse to put on, i got a small 8 bag raunch and I never put on the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

What acreage are you covering, and how many ton of fertilizer are you putting out each year? There’s a huge range of spreaders available, so it’s impossible to recommend something without knowing your requirements.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The red one is best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Get something easy to put on, i have a bigger Amazone and its a curse to put on, i got a small 8 bag raunch and I never put on the big one

How do you find it hard to put on? Have a 2t amazone here and I would have it on in 5 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In terms of price and accuracy, a Bogballe was best value for a 1T spreader. Rauch and Amazone were 2 grand dearer at 6k when I bought a good few years ago but were much easier to wash afterwards and better finishes too. The Bogballe has inserts for each corner that are a right pain for falling off too.

They're big enough spreaders but gives a good indication of differences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

I’m spreading 30 to 35 tonnes per year

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

We went with a Teagle spreader.
    Worked out fairly competitive.
    Hydraulic open and shut and has a funny hydraulic border control.
    Plastic hopper, its a well made spreader to be fair.
    If you want the muts nuts its the Amazon or the Bogballe but the Teagle is a good value machine, spread circa 50 tonne a year here.
    It is easy set up to spread seed with aswell, did a nice bit of that last year too and its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

oxjkqg wrote: »
    We went with a Teagle spreader.
    Worked out fairly competitive.
    Hydraulic open and shut and has a funny hydraulic border control.
    Plastic hopper, its a well made spreader to be fair.
    If you want the muts nuts its the Amazon or the Bogballe but the Teagle is a good value machine, spread circa 50 tonne a year here.
    It is easy set up to spread seed with aswell, did a nice bit of that last year too and its good.

Bought a Teagle X48 in the middle of last year. It is a basic machine but will hold over a ton of fertlizer ( when there is a bit in it you can put two more half ton bags in). It was about 3500 with a cover. The boundary spreader is manual on mine. Really happy with it easy to set up and looks well made.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Apologies for piggybacking on this thread but what would you recommend for someone spreading 10-ish ton a year?

And don't say, "get someone in to do it" - I tried this and it didn't work out :-)

Something that'd hold 7-8 x 50kg bags would probably do.

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Apologies for piggybacking on this thread but what would you recommend for someone spreading 10-ish ton a year?

And don't say, "get someone in to do it" - I tried this and it didn't work out :-)

Thanks.

I bought a Cosmo PDV 500 last year for €1,650. It has a vicon gearbox. Only downside is it doesn't quiet take 500kg, more like 450Kg. So a big bag ovefills it a bit. You can get a hopper extension.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

First thing is get something that will hold a half ton bag.

Have a half ton Amazone ZA-F here that’s still going well after 25 years and stored outside

Can’t say if the newer ones are better or worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Go Rauch if u can twin spinner there is a second hand one for sale in limerick in dd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thanks.

Have a cosmo wagtail here for years. Holds 8 50kg bags and can throw a few more bags on top of that but only open them when the level is lower. If your using small bags,dont get a hopper ,its too hard to lift over .

Thanks as ever lads for the advice.

Is there much of a market for second-hand ones? (I’ll look at the one on DD later tonight)

Or is it the kind of machine where you’d be better to bite the bullet and splash out on a new one altogether?

Is there much of a market for second-hand ones? (I’ll look at the one on DD later tonight)

Or is it the kind of machine where you’d be better to bite the bullet and splash out on a new one altogether?

Plenty of perfectly reasonable half ton machines out there if you don’t want bells and whistles

I think it is better to splash out on a new one unless you are very good at repairing machinery. Even then I would still consider a new one. Lads that dose my silage is very good mechanically and bought a small 1/2 ton twin disc spreader for 4-500 euro I cannot remember but it cost him another 300 in parts and about 8-10 hours to repair. There is a few lads doing refurbs on them but you are buying a 10 years old machine at best at 50% of a new one. There is a lot of rubbish second hand one's

Last second hand one I paid 800 euro for got about 10 years out of it. It was a a wagtail, in the 8-10 years I had to replace bearings, get the frame welded, replace the spout when it got damage by the bearings being gone and had to replace the little deflecter on the spout twice when it got broke. The bottom of the fibreglass hopper started giving trouble as well. I thing I had spend 300ish on it as well as 6-8 hours every year on maintenance over and above normal maintenance.

Slava Ukrainii

Plenty of perfectly reasonable half ton machines out there if you don’t want bells and whistles

I don't want any bells and whistles anyway - the more simple the better!
    I think it is better to splash out on a new one unless you are very good at repairing machinery. Even then I would still consider a new one. Lads that dose my silage is very good mechanically and bought a small 1/2 ton twin disc spreader for 4-500 euro I cannot remember but it cost him another 300 in parts and about 8-10 hours to repair. There is a few lads doing refurbs on them but you are buying a 10 years old machine at best at 50% of a new one. There is a lot of rubbish second hand one's

Last second hand one I paid 800 euro for got about 10 years out of it. It was a a wagtail, in the 8-10 years I had to replace bearings, get the frame welded, replace the spout when it got damage by the bearings being gone and had to replace the little deflecter on the spout twice when it got broke. The bottom of the fibreglass hopper started giving trouble as well. I thing I had spend 300ish on it as well as 6-8 hours every year on maintenance over and above normal maintenance.

I'm able to figure out most stuff but would prefer not to. I'd die happy if I never knew how most machinery worked as long as it stayed working!

For the 10 tonne I'd be spreading, does wagtail vs disk matter much?

I'm able to figure out most stuff but would prefer not to. I'd die happy if I never knew how most machinery worked as long as it stayed working!

I only spread about that amount but fertlizer is such an expensive item it is important to maximize its benefit. There are different options there but any sort of wagtail new will cost 2K anyway. Any spreader needs to take at least a big bag. To do that it also needs 3-4'' of above the level of fertlizer to prevent spillage when spreading or a cover to prevent it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

We have an Abbey wagtail PA700 bought new in 2004. Holds about 750kg so will take a 500kg bulk bag comfortably. Never gave any bother but I would grease bearings etc religiously and store indoors. A bit of rust now coming in the metal but still sound enough.

Trading it in to Brrabawn Athenry in the next few days for a similar sized new Agric spreader. €1,100 with old one. Actually dont know the list price of the spreader, Father did the deal, probably around €2,000?

https://www.donedeal.ie/fertiliserspreaders-for-sale/new-agric-fertiliser-spreaders/13983360

The one on the right of the pic. Avoid the ones with the extensions unless you are using bulk bags ... very awkward to load 50kg bags into them.

Any spreader needs to take at least a big bag. To do that it also needs 3-4'' of above the level of fertlizer to prevent spillage when spreading or a cover to prevent it.

I agree with that big time. One that holds the bare 500kg is too skimpy.

• Advertisement

Id be happy to recommend wagtail for that. They are cheaper to buy new or secondhand and will do the job grand.

Simple enough mechanically as well, only 3 bearings in them, I remember replacing bearings in an old vicon 20 yrs ago, a hell of a lot simpler than ripping the gearbox of a 2 spinner machine I had a go at once as well, all bearings, gears, etc, still have the scars..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A wagtail will spread accurately to 11m and a disc will go much further. For 10t, a wagtail would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A fertiliser spreader is like no other machine. The fertiliser rots the metal like mad if it is not cleaned out right each time after using. You won't open old bolts, that's for sure.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Have a vicon wagtail here. It's between 45 and 50 year old. Spreads about 20 to 30 ton a year.

A wagtail will spread accurately to 11m and a disc will go much further. For 10t, a wagtail would be ideal

No spreader whether disc or Wagtail spread accurately to any distance. All are based on an overlap system. If the spread with is 10 metres each side you keep 10 metres between spreading passes. What this means is that when spread around headlands 20-30% of the fertlizer is spread into the base of the ditch. This is why you will get very strong growth along the butt of a ditch or hedge. This is why more and more farmers buy a spreader with a headland or boundary function. On some spreaders you drive along the ditch or headland and turn off the disc on the headland side other tilt the spreader which drive the fertlizer into the ground over a shorter spread width.

Slava Ukrainii

jimmy G M wrote:
    We have an Abbey wagtail PA700 bought new in 2004. Holds about 750kg so will take a 500kg bulk bag comfortably. Never gave any bother but I would grease bearings etc religiously and store indoors. A bit of rust now coming in the metal but still sound enough.

Same as Cosmo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

valtra2 wrote: »
    Have a vicon wagtail here. It's between 45 and 50 year old. Spreads about 20 to 30 ton a year.

Exact same here. Spread 33 tonnes last year and still flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have an Abbey half ton here no hydraulic shut off. Great little spreader. I bought it second hand 6 years ago and it never let me down. It was fully refurbished when bought. I would buy one of them again.

A fertilizer spreader is a very simple machine. Once the gearbox is right and discs are good then there isn’t a whole lot else to go wrong in a basic model. Dealers yards are full of decent ones that were traded in

• Advertisement

A fertilizer spreader is a very simple machine. Once the gearbox is right and discs are good then there isn’t a whole lot else to go wrong in a basic model. Dealers yards are full of decent ones that were traded in

Great place to go for second hand spreaders is cork lim and tipp , yrs ago I used buy them do them up and off load again the only ones that ever came back were vicon 402 602 802 models ppl usedlet them down to the ground when loading and with the long driveshaft it would bend or damage a aluminium part in the gearbox ... abbey square type spreader were a great spreader kuhn rauch great machines... I've a Rauch here bought in cam ridge 15 yrs ago for about 600 I think still going fine as said about keep inside and wash wash wash

Advertisement