Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Informal Hill Climb TT - Ticknock Sunday 24 February

Options
  • 11-02-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi boardsies,
    I, through the Trinity College Cycling Club, am organising a Hill Climb TT up Ticknock on the 24th of February, which is the Sunday of the weekend after next. This will be an informal, just-for-fun event.
    You can do the climb at any time you wish during that day, but there'll be a group of us at the biking.ie shed from 9:30-11:30, so come then for a more social aspect.
    Segment we're using is the following (basically from the Biking.ie shed to the masts).
    https://www.strava.com/segments/8125228

We've also created a facebook event where you can get more information, and let us know that you're coming.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/257041655016843/

Hope to see a few of you guys and gals there, obviously it's weather dependent but it'll likely be a good bit of craic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Not wishing to "rain on your parade" but is it a good idea to hold an event (formal or otherwise) on a Sunday in Ticknock? If the weather is even half decent the place will be mobbed with walkers, mtbers etc! Believe me I am not one for unnecessary rule adherence .....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was up there two weeks ago when it was snowing. Couldnt get a spot to park the car. What will it be like on a decent sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It'll be jammers on a weekend, madness to organise a hill climb TT up there. The place just gets so busy from the car park to the top with kids, young, old, dogs, prams, buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Great lil burn a week out from the start of the season.

Wouldn't be worried about the hikers/walkers/mountain bikers. Everyone is crawling upwards at the same pace.

Fastest time - Eoin Byrne, odds on favourite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A great idea only for the timing. Run it earlier in the day, no joking, between 7am and 10am or run it on an evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Cheers for the feeback all. I think we will start it a bit earlier, probably running from 8-10 instead. While I understand it can get quite busy, I don't think it'll be that bad on a Sunday morning at that time (I've been up there quite a bit at the weekends and it's never too bad - it's busy but you'd rarely be held up). Also it's naturally busier in snowy weather, especially when the snow is only up high!
    I guess it's finding the balance between a socially accepted time to cycle on a Sunday morning, and not having it too busy. At the above time (8-10) I think we'll be good. Obviously you can do it anytime during the day, but I thought the social aspect would really add to it :-)

I'll try my best to be there, DUCC used to run some good events when I was in college between the college league, hill climb and track days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

godtabh wrote: »
    I was up there two weeks ago when it was snowing. Couldnt get a spot to park the car. What will it be like on a decent sunday?

It will be empty.
    People were only up there for the snow.

I don't see the problem with Ticknock as a venue for this.
    We are allowed to cycle up there and all it takes is a bit of a yell for people to move to one side.
    You are going that slow up anyway that they have plenty of time to move out of the way.

I wound't make it the Sunday but i'd do my time on the Friday as weekends are a no go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

We are allowed to cycle up there and all it takes is a bit of a yell for people to move to one side.

Imagine you head out for a peaceful walk in the forested hills of Dublin. But every minute or so somebody on a bike comes up behind you yelling to move over.

Nope, no problem there.

• Advertisement

You are going that slow up anyway that they have plenty of time to move out of the way.

What planet are you living on? As cyclists we are unpopular enough without "yelling" at people to get them out of your way in order that you can record a faster time up a hill!! I'm genuinely gobsmacked!

C3PO wrote: »
    What planet are you living on? As cyclists we are unpopular enough without "yelling" at people to get them out of your way in order that you can record a faster time up a hill!! I'm genuinely gobsmacked!

Kop on will ya.
    I said a bit of a yell.
    I didn't say scream at them.
    Should i have said yell tally ho at them.

buffalo wrote: »
    Imagine you head out for a peaceful walk in the forested hills of Dublin. But every minute or so somebody on a bike comes up behind you yelling to move over.

Nope, no problem there.

Exaggerating a bit their lad :rolleyes:

And if its run early in the morning it ill be quiet up there.
    I've been there plenty of Sunday mornings and had the place to myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'll try my best to be there, DUCC used to run some good events when I was in college between the college league, hill climb and track days.

I never even heard of them when I was there which was a pity!

And if its run early in the morning it ill be quiet up there.
    I've been there plenty of Sunday mornings and had the place to myself.

Agreed. I value the advice, but I think it's not nearly as bad as what people think. At that time on a Sunday, we'll be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

...."I could have won this if it wasn't for those pesky walkers getting in my way and adding 5 minutes to my time"

Eb3REt9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't see the problem with Ticknock as a venue for this.........all it takes is a bit of a yell for people to move to one side.

Well that's the problem right there.

I'm beginning to wonder if any of you's have ever been up Ticknock.
    It does not be busy on a Sunday morning at 9 am especially in February.

Alek done nearly 16 hours up there on a Friday in the middle of summer and their was no issues with walkers,dogs or any other group that like to venture into the hills and their was about 5-6 other cyclists with him at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

It does not be busy on a Sunday morning at 9 am especially in February.

Alek done nearly 16 hours up there on a Friday in the middle of summer and their was no issues with walkers,dogs or any other group that like to venture into the hills and their was about 5-6 other cyclists with him at one stage.

I think there's a difference tbh. Despite being advertised as 'informal' everyone there will treat this as a competitive time-trial. If you are doing it right you will be pushing to the limit and going full gas.

Could be problematic in a space shared with walkers etc. Assume there will be people marshalling, warning the public etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You're probably right that, it wont be much of an issue that early, and it may not be an issue whatsoever depending on the weather.

Friday is a work day however for most, so not really a day that I would expect it to be busy. Sunday is when you're likely to get the most casual of walkers, familys, kids, dogs etc just because it's a thing to do.

Plus, the Boards TT was up Howth last year, not exactly quiet on a Sunday morning, albeit there are paths there.

daragh_ wrote: »
    I think there's a difference tbh. Despite being advertised as 'informal' everyone there will treat this as a competitive time-trial. If you are doing it right you will be pushing to the limit and going full gas.

Could be problematic a space shared with walkers etc. Assume there will be people marshalling, warning the public etc?

You'll have to ask the OP that but i doubt as he says in the title,informal.
    I also wonder if their will be medals :pac:

Anyway i don't mind, i'll give it a go no matter where it is.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You're probably right that, it wont be much of an issue that early, and it may not be an issue whatsoever depending on the weather.

Friday is a work day however for most, so not really a day that I would expect it to be busy. Sunday is when you're likely to get the most casual of walkers, familys, kids, dogs etc just because it's a thing to do.

Plus, the Boards TT was up Howth last year, not exactly quiet on a Sunday morning, albeit there are paths there.

I'm just back from a spin and encountered people walking in the cycle lanes so you can't win either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Best of luck with your event Sunset, to be honest I'd run it how you want and when you want. As you have stated its an Informal TT just for a bit of fun.

Funny ... I was wondering the same thing about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

C3PO wrote: »
    Funny ... I was wondering the same thing about you!

Ive seen him with a sweeping brush up there! :D
    Its still in the back of my wagon btw

I was up there Saturday morning a lot of debris on the ground...
    (so watch for storms the day before)

daragh_ wrote: »

Could be problematic in a space shared with walkers etc. Assume there will be people marshalling, warning the public etc?

We're making it very clear that it's informal so that people don't expect anything from us as a very small cycling club. We are simply setting a date and time to be there, the rest is up to the people who wish to be there at those times.

Obviously we're under no illusions that people will be taking this seriously.. who does any timed cycling challenge without giving it their all?

We will see how busy it is on the day, but I believe at the times we're doing it we'll have no issues at all. If it is crazy busy at 8:30am on Sunday morning in February (which I think is highly unlikely) we will probably have a few guys standing at the "crunch points". But again, we're a small club, with relatively small resources and manpower.

Best to assume that we can offer you nothing other than a warm welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

How do you plan to tackle the barrier mid-way? If you can't get it open there will be a lot of frustration trying to negotiate around it on a road bike, especially if a walker will be standing there. How about starting just past it?

Alek wrote: »
    How do you plan to tackle the barrier mid-way? If you can't get it open there will be a lot of frustration trying to negotiate around it on a road bike, especially if a walker will be standing there. How about starting just past it?
    I plan to hop off , bike on shoulder and hop over like a 80s TV cop sliding over a car bonnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'll be there to apply special points for the style, and you're winning already Sir.

Advertisement