Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Wexford should be well up at halftime - some of the frees that they gave away were stupid tbh. Now, I think galway got a few soft frees as well.

Wexford's first goal was very soft - that Galway full back line looks very suspect tbh. Galway forwards are not at the races at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Whoevers coaching our forwards needs to be sent packing.

Francis Forde is our forwards coach. Galway supporters would Know that.

Francis Forde is our forwards coach. Galway supporters would Know that.

I know who the forwards coach is but that doesn't mean he's exclusively coaching them.
    Didn't C.Cooney say Donaghy was helping on movement.

Any sports supporter would know that.

I know who the forwards coach is but that doesn't mean he's exclusively coaching them. Didn't C.Cooney say Donaghy was helping on movement.

Why ask who the coach was if you already knew?

Why ask who the coach was if you already knew?

Go back and read what I said... I didnt ask who the forwards coach is, I said who's coaching the forwards.
    There's a difference between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

11/13 points for Galway were frees. Canning with 12 of Galways 13. I'd be dissapointed if Wexford can't push on in the second half and get the win here

Go back and read what I said... I didnt ask who the forwards coach is, I said who's coaching the forwards. There's a difference between the two.

Still don't read it that way but fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

11/13 points for Galway were frees. Canning with 12 of Galways 13. I'd be dissapointed if Wexford can't push on in the second half and get the win here

Great to see Wexford being punished for their systematic fouling

Much better effort already.

Looks like they might had their first "hairdryer teamtalk" in a while at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Spectacular surrender by the Wexicans. Three points in over half an hour?

• Advertisement

Much better effort already.

Looks like they might had their first "hairdryer teamtalk" in a while at HT.

We better keep the forwards coach another while and see so ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That's the worst half of hurling I have ever seen from Wexford. Fair play Galway.

Great display by galway in the second half against the breeze. Donohue must have read them the riot act at halftime as they upped it big time in the second half.

Wexford went route one in the second half which was going to suit McInerney all day long.

Wexford were 8/11 with the wind to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

How can Wexford go from beating Kilkenny by 7points last week to losing by 10 to Galway today?

That second display won’t do for championship at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2020 divisions confirmed

Grp A
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Cork
    Galway
    Waterford
    Westmeath

Grp B
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Laois
    Carlow

Gotta feel for WestMeath...

bit of a shock Dublin beating Tipp

semi finals
    Limerick vs Dublin
    Waterford vs Galway

looks like double header in Thurles but on sunday 24th Mar its Tipp vs CLare in the football there at 2pm. Could a Saturday double header be an option ???

Sat 23rd double header it looks like now for the semis with the football results today as Sunday 24th will be do or die in the football and tg4 will want too cover the important games

Only time in living memory Dublin have beaten Tipp in Thurles.

Shipped some hidings there over the years so, if only for slightly redressing that, heroes all!

Makings of a good team. Next week against a Limerick team that seems to be intent on not letting any fker stand in their way be true test.

Can't wait!

• Advertisement

Gotta feel for WestMeath...

Indeed. Not first time the Westies have gotten the tough end of the stick in hurling.

Mind you, the fact that three of the four semi finalists are 1B teams suggests that other than the dog eat dog for bottom, it makes no difference. But like ourselves ten years ago you are going to suffer some total hidings on the way to getting to where you want to be.

Ce la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Indeed. Not first time the Westies have gotten the tough end of the stick in hurling.

Mind you, the fact that three of the four semi finalists are 1B teams suggests that other than the dog eat dog for bottom, it makes no difference. But like ourselves ten years ago you are going to suffer some total hidings on the way to getting to where you want to be.

Ce la vie.

Good point! I often hear people saying what good was that hding for either team. Well it seems hidings are part and parcel of the learning curve for top level hurling. Clare and Waterford took several hammerings in the 70's and 80's before establishing themselves at the top table. Likewise Dublin in more recent times. Take note Carlow and Westmeath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2020 divisions confirmed

Grp A
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Cork
    Galway
    Waterford
    Westmeath

Grp B
    Wexford
    Clare
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Laois
    Carlow

Group A might as well be the Munster Championship...

Group A might as well be the Munster Championship...

You could make the same argument for group b being essentially the Leinster....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

RMAOK wrote: »
    You could make the same argument for group b being essentially the Leinster....

Exactly...

I think Tyrrell made the same point on Sunday, that league, especially with new non relegation format, is becoming almost a carbon copy of the championship structure.

In fairness the provincial games last year were very good, with Munster again promising to be a minefield, and Leinster might not be as predictable as it turned out to be last year.

where the league fits in with that remains to be seen I suppose. Has been great for ourselves and a few others so far as it provides good testing ground. I thought Sheedy looked a bit puzzled when interviewed on SG as he is probably no wiser now than he was at the start and he has no room for error from now on. Cats, Cork, Clare and Wexford a bit in the same boat perhaps, but Summer could throw up completely different scenario. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Very good points. The only actual structural difference between league and championship now is league has 4 qfs as opposed to 2 for championship and an extra team in each group. It’s as near as makes no odds. Always wondered if they could do away with the provincial structure for the championship and let the provinces run their own tournaments in place of the league. You do have those fbd leagues or whatever they’re called early on, but not sure anyone would really miss these if they disappeared.

Have the provincials before the championship based on a league?

Not heard that before but sounds interesting. Would make the early season games more competitive as a provincial be more of a prize than getting to play offs or even winning the league, and would boost the interest and intensity of the championship.

Probably also need to stop McDonagh finalists from being in quarter finals. Just makes no sense. Winner should be promoted but getting hammered a few weeks after the McDonagh final high does not make sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah, it’s just an idea, no idea if it’d ever gain traction. Provinces could run their tournaments any way they see fit, league, knock out, back door etc

I think a lot would agree that provincial element for championship lacks meaning now. The groups are lop sided. I know 3 munster teams reached all ire s/f last year but that doesn’t alter the equation for me. It’s not a fair system as it stands.

Changing it around as per my idea, you could run a shortened spring competition - but real meaningful provincial tournaments that counties would want to win - and then free up a few extra weeks to either give to clubs and/or spread the championship out a little bit. Too many games too quickly imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are the semis on the box this weekend
    Tg4 have round 7 of the qualifiers on their schedule.

Advertisement