Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a 9 or 10 years old PSU. A 80+bronze one at that. Running for most of it's life a 6 core 12 thread overclcoked CPU and a highly overclocked R9 290 then a
    clocked R9 Fury X and now a clocked Rx Vega 56 and all of those are known for being power hungry. It's a 700W PSU btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Actually I jumped before thinking. Afaik nobody seen the Gigabyte webpage that could be shopped. Hopefully it's true anyway.

I can't remember which Youtube tech channel it was, but the guy stated he had info coming in regarding the Ryzen 3 lineup, from multiple people who were bang on the money before with tech leaks. There is also the fact that these leaks all mentioned a Ryzen 9 chip which is new to the AMD lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Venom wrote: »
    I can't remember which Youtube tech channel it was, but the guy stated he had info coming in regarding the Ryzen 3 lineup, from multiple people who were bang on the money before with tech leaks. There is also the fact that these leaks all mentioned a Ryzen 9 chip which is new to the AMD lineup.

Was it AdoredTV?

papu wrote: »
    Was it AdoredTV?

It was. Had a look through my Youtube subs and posted his latest vid on Ryzen 3, Vega 2 and Navi in the AMD Zen thread as didn't want to spam it in multiple threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Was it AdoredTV?

You have to love that guy.

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    You have to love that guy.

He is pretty good at what he does. I'm subscribed to him for a long time anyway with the bell rung to receive a notification to when he posts a new video. He actually puts a lot of work into his videos, research wise and then editing.

One video he mentioned a lot of people do not like his Scottish accent and was thinking about hiring someone else to do voice overs. I myself do not mind his accent. But I did watch a video last night from some YouTuber about a Fx 8350 and some American was talking and after about 2 mins I had to take the head phones off and just watch the video as his voice done my head in. I suppose it's American's that did not like Jim's voice from Adoredtv. It probably has to do with what accents you are used to hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm hoping my low framerates on newer titles were due to the 2500k struggling!

Definitely. The 1600X is head and shoulders above it, even if you had a mega overclock on the 2500K the minimum frames will be miles better on the 1600X in new games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Do you think the vega 56/64 will come down a bit more in price in the next 2/3 months? I want something to take over from my 290x

kevovek wrote: »
    Do you think the vega 56/64 will come down a bit more in price in the next 2/3 months? I want something to take over from my 290x

It's hard to call but I doubt it as they do not really have another card coming out unless of course Vega II is announced at CES.

A Vega is a massive upgrade to a 290x. I've had a 290 then Fury X which was a pretty big upgrade to a 290 and now a Vega which is a up biggish upgrade on Fury X.

It's hard to call but I doubt it as they do not really have another card coming out unless of course Vega II is announced at CES.

A Vega is a massive upgrade to a 290x. I've had a 290 then Fury X which was a pretty big upgrade to a 290 and now a Vega which is a up biggish upgrade on Fury X.

The rumors doing the rounds are the next Vega GPU's logo mixes Vega II with a VII for the 7nm process and matches the RTX 2070 in performance for half the price :eek:

Radeon-Vega-2.jpg?resize=678%2C381&ssl=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The rumors doing the rounds are the next Vega GPU's logo mixes Vega II with a VII for the 7nm process and matches the RTX 2070 in performance for half the price :eek:

Radeon-Vega-2.jpg?resize=678%2C381&ssl=1

I only built my PC a little while ago with a 1060 in it. I assume this would be a big upgrade for around £300?

You guys are mixing up the midrange Navi 7nm are not going to be released till mid 2019. They will be cheap cards.

If Vega II 7nm is going to be released to the consumer and not just for specific applications like deep learning it will not be cheap.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I only built my PC a little while ago with a 1060 in it. I assume this would be a big upgrade for around £300?

If the rumours of the new AMD card matching a 2070 are true, the performance would be roughly double that of a 1060.

If the rumours of the new AMD card matching a 2070 are true, the performance would be roughly double that of a 1060.

Cool. That could be an option for an unexpected early upgrade :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FYI before we all get caught up in the rumour mill:

The AMD Keynote is on Wednesday 9. January at 9AM (5PM GMT).
    https://www.ces.tech/conference/Keynotes/AMD-Keynote.aspx

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    FYI before we all get caught up in the rumour mill:

The AMD Keynote is on Wednesday 9. January at 9AM (5PM GMT).
    https://www.ces.tech/conference/Keynotes/AMD-Keynote.aspx

To late.... I'm already on the hype train :pac: Choo Choo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Loving this 9700k! Have it overclocked to 5Ghz @ 1.29v on air (Hyper 212 evo) and it never goes above 70! :D

Obo6NE2.png

What were you stressing it with?

What were you stressing it with?

That was after 6 hours of PUBG/ general usage yesterday. Just did a blast of Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility there and here's the results of that, I'm very happy for just air. I'd be getting an AIO in the future for looks only really.

wrvIvf3.png

OSI wrote:
    I run a 8700k on stock overclock and with an AIO and get worse temps than that so I wouldn't be in a rush. I really should get a move on and delid the thing.

Delidding and liquid metal really do work wonders on the 8700k!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I did a thread on it recently....did great things. Happy to let you use my delid tool and liquid metal as I have loads.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108400826

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Manually OC'ed 3000MHz memory to 3200MHz. Pc runs fine when gaming, doesn't crash during cinebench. But when I turn pc on it sometimes switches off or resets, usually just the once. Is this a voltage related thing?

Are you sure it holds the overclock after restarting as sometimes that is the computer reseting back to stock settings as the overclock is unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jebidiah wrote: »
    Manually OC'ed 3000MHz memory to 3200MHz. Pc runs fine when gaming, doesn't crash during cinebench. But when I turn pc on it sometimes switches off or resets, usually just the once. Is this a voltage related thing?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/773966-comprehensive-memory-overclocking-guide/
    Stress testing:
    Once this starts, let it run for several hours. I personally let mine run for about 8-12 hours, depending on how I feel and how much I've tinkered from my last stable profile, but I do not recommend running for less than 8 hours.

Are you sure it holds the overclock after restarting as sometimes that is the computer reseting back to stock settings as the overclock is unstable.

Yes it was showing up in performance manager and gigabyte system information viewer at the higher frequency.

Could it be that I left the voltage settings on auto? I had planned to monitor the voltage and see where it set itself and manually set that value.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You should really do a proper stress test, 30minutes minimum.

You can use a app called stressApp, bit of work to get going on Windows but worth it.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/stress-app-test-chronic-memory-stress-test.18765249/

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-MATRIX-RTX2080Ti-P11G-GAMING/

"Infinity Loop Cooling

The Matrix's internal closed-loop water cooling system is the first of its kind. Combining the performance of an external closed-loop hybrid with the minimal footprint of a standard air-cooled card introduced many design challenges, such as miniaturizing a water pump to squeeze between the shroud and PCB. The effort paid off by delivering headroom to propel the Matrix's clock speeds to a new level of performance for builds without custom water loops. "

How much value is there in upgrading an i5-4460 user to a 3770k (processor is available from a house mate (not for free)) and OC supporting mobo compared to building a new Ryzen 5 based system?
    Obviously one will cost a lot less as he has DDR3 ram already, and the 3700k could potentially be upped to a 4790k down the line, but is it worth staying on these older intel platforms?

I saw Terrorfirmer recommending it to someone on an 2500k recently

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Skate 3 runs on latest RPCS3 build

Need minimum 6 core CPU atm for this game. Most other games that are currently compatible run fine on i5/Ryzen 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How much value is there in upgrading an i5-4460 user to a 3770k (processor is available from a house mate (not for free)) and OC supporting mobo compared to building a new Ryzen 5 based system?
    Obviously one will cost a lot less as he has DDR3 ram already, and the 3700k could potentially be upped to a 4790k down the line, but is it worth staying on these older intel platforms?

I saw Terrorfirmer recommending it to someone on an 2500k recently

The 3770K and 4460 are different socket types, not compatiable.

3rd and 4th gen i7 are still good for games though.

Just dropping in an i7-4770 or 4790 into your PC is relativelty cheap and hassle free though.

Advertisement