Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Abram Scruffy Coriander

BattleCorp wrote: »
    A .22lr is a small calibre low velocity round. A 9mm certainly isn't.

Against a big aggressive dog like a German Shepard its smaller and slower than I'd prefer :D

Right, I'm home now. My boots are off and stinking up my locker so I'm not spending too much longer talking shop [for me].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes there has been cases of people shot up to 10 times with 9mm and still walking around for a few minutes after then eventually falling over from blood loss.
    A German Shepard is about half the weight of a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

tuxy wrote: »
    We know and not just him but his family. He will have protection at his home for the next few days but we all know travellers hold grudges for years.

It's about all that sustains many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does the video show the dog?

You can hear them giving commands to the dog. you can hear the guard referring to the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Its the dog I feel sorry for.

Imagine having to live with travelers.... uuuuuggggghhhhhhh

I'd say the dog jumped in front of the bullet to get relief from his miserable existence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Either way, if there was no dog, someone had hold of the Garda's tie.

Well it's obvious what happened our cultured friend was having a conversation with his friend in the van, probably showing him what Santa gave him last year (slash hook) but spotted a leprechaun, he had a devil of a time trying to hold the leprechaun (Toby O'Gill the grandson of Darby O'Gill). Then Toby in an effort to escape by swinging off of the Detectives tie was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

The travellers say there was no dog at all in the first place.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3476127/family-man-wounded-armed-garda-longford-no-dog/

Do travelers only nickname based on color schemes?

Blondie?
    Blackie?

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well it's obvious what happened our cultured friend was having a conversation with his friend in the van, probably showing him what Santa gave him last year (slash hook) but spotted a leprechaun, he had a devil of a time trying to hold the leprechaun (Toby O'Gill the grandson of Darby O'Gill). Then Toby in an effort to escape by swinging off of the Detectives tie was shot.

Well said sir as believeable as any story put forward by our cultured friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Does the video show the dog?

You can hear them giving commands to the dog. you can hear the guard referring to the dog.
    But you can't see or hear a dog? Not exactly black and white.
    No one could blame the guard for pulling the trigger if he was being attacked by a German shepherd.
    Maybe they should be equipped with and carry a less lethal option, taser possibly, because “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail,".

The Garda in this case was working with what he had, it would be the ministers fault he hadn't got appropriate equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

You've no experience of either, I have both.

Man, you are condescending. I have trained in both.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should be equipped with and carry a less lethal option, taser possibly, because “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail,".

This Garda was called to deal with a dangerous gang on his own. They can only carry so much. I think a gun is an ok response to bill hooks and a large dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But you can't see or hear a dog? Not exactly black and white.
    No one could blame the guard for pulling the trigger if he was being attacked by a German shepherd.
    If there was no dog there then who or what were they talking to? Unless you think there was some mass hallucination occurring?

The Garda in this case was working with what he had, it would be the ministers fault he hadn't got appropriate equipment.

The guard had a pistol and used it appropriately.

What would you deem as appropriate equipment to deal with a traveller armed with a slash hook and a guard dog? A bigger slash hook and doggie treats?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Standard equipment for the role he has tbh.

Arguably even a taser may not be appropriate. It's a separate discussion really. The pistol is known to be lethal, so Gardai equipped with them use them only with the utmost seriousness.

A less-lethal option like a taser carries a connotation that it's safe to use, so an officer is more likely to use it when it's inappropriate to do so. Criminals will also be less afraid of them, so violence is more likely to escalate.

So in this case, for example, Garda pulls taser, woman doesn't drop the slash hook, so he tases her. She goes down, husband and dog lose the plot and make a lunge at the Garda who now has two attackers to try and stun.

Whereas at least with the gun, some form of sense took over and the weapon was dropped.

It is a different discussion though, it would be worth looking at the UK and whether the introduction of tasers made any real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Its the dog I feel sorry for....
    I'd say the dog jumped in front of the bullet to get relief from his miserable existence!

They have a term for this in the US - 'suicide by cop' whereby someone will deliberatly put themselves in a situation where they are likley to be shot.

Did the dog in fact commit suicide? An interesting angle on the situation tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What would you deem as appropriate equipment to deal with a traveller armed with a slash hook and a guard dog? A bigger slash hook and doggie treats?

Easy

Easy

Prefer a Sig or a Whalter myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Perhaps the Gardaí could be trained in the use of chairs and bull whips a lá lion tamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭emptyhouse2222

Prefer a Sig or a Whalter myself.
    That guard should run for president

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I believe Bill Burr covered this topic.

Although he was referring to zombies not Travellers, however...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

seamus wrote: »

Arguably even a taser may not be appropriate.

So in this case, for example, Garda pulls taser, woman doesn't drop the slash hook, so he tases her. She goes down, husband and dog lose the plot and make a lunge at the Garda who now has two attackers to try and stun./quote]

With a taser that has not recharged, and is not ready to use , meanwhile man with recovered slash hook, and dog are taking lumps out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You think not? What if we showed evidence of the same travellers who are on the dole walking in to a car dealership with €50k in cash?

Where's that evidence? I don't believe you have any evidence of that.

Effects wrote: »

No evidence of travellers on the dole driving new 4x4 vehicles?
    I'll go around town tomorrow and capture some video for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Another Guard, preferably with an 8 shot semi-auto shotgun.
    Loaded with alternate rounds of 0 buckshot and "8 ball".
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Effects wrote: »

Ask any Toyota or Ford dealer!

I worked as an Auctioneer and letting agent, and the quality motors young lads were driving around in, while still qualifying for RAS scheme etc would amaze you.
    Some Social Welfare officers would demand to see log book, insurance etc, but that is easy got around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Omari Round Muck

In the video she clearly references Tom having a firearm. It’s sheer lack of respect and having no concept of there ever being consequences for their actions that lead to him being shot. She says that she’s pregnant and there’s reference to a 4 year old at the scene too (his sister posted it), and somehow that’s the fault of the Gardai? A normal rational person would retreat at the sight of an armed guard. What happened is just consequences of their own actions. A lot more of them should be shot. Might go a way in sorting out the criminal behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ah ****, sonny said it didn't happen so it definitely, probably, didnt happen even though he wasn't there to see it happen when it happened. I think i get it now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

“A big-name solicitor in the UK has already been on to him about it and wants to take the case"

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It’s official, Boss. There was no dog.

You believe that? Can I interest you in a close associate of mine, he is a Nigerian prince with an interesting financial purposal. Very beneficial to you I may add .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement