Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mate 20 Pro

Options
  • 15-10-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭

I think this will be my next phone, upgrading from the P20 Pro. As good as the P20 is it's missing a couple of features that I miss from the iPhone X I had which is wireless charging.

It's been revealed tomorrow, seems pretty much like everything has already been leaked though so doubt there will be many surprises but looks very promising and I would imagine it will be the No.1 android phone this year.

Pricing does look very high so hopefully they will throw in a nice incentive again to encourage people to buy early.

Comments

Definitely one to watch. Even if it is priced high early on, it would hopefully take a massive nosedive in price before too long. I picked up the Mate 10 Pro for approx €400 not much more than 6 months after it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Seen unboxing yesterday, now just going to watch the event. My next phone also after Note 9.

They are destroying every phone out there, wireless reverse charging so you can charge other phones using the Mate 20.

Some features. Crazy phone.

Yeah, some pretty awesome features. The rumours about a proprietary expandable storage solution were true. I do wonder if it will take off. The beauty about micro SD cards is that everyone has a few lying around. I guess they're hoping they will become an industry standard, so we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Looks like a super piece of kit. Too expensive for me, alas.

Free GT watch and wireless charger with Preorders in Uk. Hope its the same here like the Bose deal with the P20 Pro.

dan786 wrote: »
    Free GT watch and wireless charger with Preorders in Uk. Hope its the same here like the Bose deal with the P20 Pro.

Yup same promo here as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Yup same promo here as expected.

I cant see it on the irish site?

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I cant see it on the irish site?

Three.ie.

Cant be ordered yet. But promo is advertised.

https://www.three.ie/brand/huawei/mate-20-pro/pre-register/

• Advertisement

Three.ie.

Cant be ordered yet. But promo is advertised.

Oh right, Im vodafone. Vodafone UK have offer advertised but not the irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I wouldn't go back to Three for this phone. Hopefully Vodafone will offer it.

Vodafone will have the same deal once they have the device on the site. Its a Huawei promotion like Bose with P20 Pro so all retailers will be offering it with pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

They are destroying every phone out there, wireless reverse charging so you can charge other phones using the Mate 20.
    I don't get the usefulness of this feature... Maybe I'm missing the point though?
    How many wireless charging devices does one have? (I have none perhaps I'm behind the times!)
    Or maybe you'd want to tie up your phone by allowing your mate to use your P20 to charge up their Samsung S9?!

Super phone nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Where can you buy it contract free?

Amazon have it with the watch and charger deal. Pre-order. Available October 26. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JVY21DL/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I’m a huge Apple fan but even I’m thinking of getting that phone. Looks absolutely amazing

if it goes like the last one will be available for €600 or so after 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Was looking forward to this but the curved screen has put me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bizarre that this doesn't have a headphone jack and the normal mate 20 does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

I got hands on with the phone last week. It's incredible.

https://goosed.ie/mate-20-pro-launch-ireland/

Any questions?

• Advertisement

El Inho wrote: »

Any questions?

Is it worth the upgrade from a note 8 and how does it stack up against the note 9 / pixel 3 xl?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Oh right, Im vodafone. Vodafone UK have offer advertised but not the irish site.

Seriously considering switching to this from an iPhone 7 Plus if it’s available with eir. Always had iPhones but I’ve used a Nokia 3 the past week and while I know it’s cheap and laggy, it opened my eyes as to how android has changed for the better over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

El Inho wrote: »

Any questions?

Is it actually launching to buy in Ireland? Not via redirection from the UK but actually here.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is it actually launching to buy in Ireland? Not via redirection from the UK but actually here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Sim free Harvey Norman 1049e with free watch and wireless charger.

Vodafone Prepay 899 with same freebies but likely to come locked. Bill Pay from 199.

Three no pricing yet but will likely be between 850-900 with same - their P20 Pros came unlocked so likely to be the same.

Same freebies with all 3 retailers

Vodafone Prepay 899 with same freebies but likely to come locked. Bill Pay from 199.

Three no pricing yet but will likely be between 850-900 with same - their P20 Pros came unlocked so likely to be the same.

I see harvey norman is a November 8th release, any word what the release date is with vodafone?

I see harvey norman is a November 8th release, any word what the release date is with vodafone?

November 8th as well.

Amazon Uk have them at 899£ available 26th Oct. Slightly cheaper than HN for sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Any link to Vodafone site I can’t see it on there

• Advertisement

November 8th as well.

Amazon Uk have them at 899£ available 26th Oct. Slightly cheaper than HN for sim free.

Feck it went ahead and ordered a twilight from amazon

Advertisement